MLV Pre-production shots

St. Simon

Electrostar (#174) asked "Were any MLVs on display at the Bachmann stand at this weekend's DEMU show? "

Yes there was, a blue/grey version. At least 1 of the Southern-based layouts was running a blue/grey version along with 2 x 4-CEPs.

Had a close a look as I could at the static one, and was rather impressed. Detailing looked good to although I forgot to take a camera with me to record it for posterity a.k.a. this site, sorry folks.

When they hit the shops, I want 2 blue/grey ones!

Rob

The Secondman's cab side wnidow (off-side) should be shorter in length.

post-7009-0-54015100-1336694350_thumb.jpg

From what I can see in the Bachmann magazine ads the secondman's side window is shorter. The ads show both sides although for 3 different liveries. I guess that these are the production models.

Mike

Without wishing to harp on this, the Bachmann ad shows the error on the side with the battery hatches to the right of the picture (one of the green ones, from memory).

Morning...... :O

Here are 2,in different liveries, or could it be 1,Jaffa looks a bit suspect ? passing Dover Town Yard on the "down" To Dover. Possibly on a water carrying mission during a drought..?

taken from a slide image,sorry about quality.......

Photograph Copyright Andy Howard. Courtesy of Andy Howard.

julyo9andysdovertownyard051.jpg

hiya

I like that mlv haul tank wagon so any more mlv haul freight? but I know mlv haul cep for dover ferry

thank you

• RMweb Premium

It is not really accurate to suggest that MLVs 'hauled' Cep units. Both had their own traction motors and effectively powered themseles. Boat trains to Dover Western Docks did not leave third rail territory meaning nothing had to be hauled as such. The MLVs did work off their batteries over non-electrified sidings but not while coupled to Cep stock in passenger service.

The tank appears to be stained by fuel oil and is not a water tank. It might be a movement to supply the Western Docks shunters. There have been other occasions when MLVs were used as traction (effectively replacing a conentional locomotive) though I don't have access to photos.

" At least 1 of the Southern-based layouts was running a blue/grey version along with 2 x 4-CEPs."

That would have been my layout "Meopham East Junction" but sorry to disappoint you, what you saw was a "Southern Pride" example. Incidently, on the Saturday I had running a couple of green 4-Ceps with a blue liveried Replica MLV.

Which livery does the sample carry? Was it a shop-bought issue of an early subscription copy?

Green livery with small yellow warning panel, I got magazine yesterday (Thursday) in my local Sainsbury store on the south coast.

Thanks. I just downloaded the issue to my iPhone. It looks superb. Roll on that shipment into shops. I'm pleased all three liveries appear to be released at once.

Thanks. I just downloaded the issue to my iPhone. It looks superb. Roll on that shipment into shops. I'm pleased all three liveries appear to be released at once.

Nice review and pictures in the latest Hornby magazine.Really does look impressive!

Pete

I only just received last month's edition. Anyone else outside the UK experience experience ridiculously long shipping times on subscriptions to UK magazines?

Yes: both Model Rail and Hornby Magazine have been late arriving for the last six months or more, with one exception, which arrived a few days after the previous month's edition.

• RMweb Premium

"Buses" takes around three weeks from publication to reach me, "Railway Magazine" around two weeks. I don't subscribe to any modelling mags at present but have noted that they don't appear on the shelves of our local modelling shops until at least 2 months after publication.

Depending on your needs and equipment it's one of the beauties on magazine downloads. I downloaded Hornby magazine after reading on here it featured a review of the MLV. It gives me the option of reading it on both the iPhone and iPad. Not everyone's cup of tea I admit but for those times you're desperate to read something it's great.

Perhaps the 'Hornby' thread might be a better place for some of these questions, we are seriously in danger of leaving the OP :nono:

Indeed please keep this thread on topic. Magazine discussions are not relevant here in this thread. Thank you.

Can I also request the end to animated icons waving their fingers. This is a friendly model railway forum with one of the most helpful membership not a ward run by matron and her wagging finger. People may find their discussion wanders in the wrong direction but they just need a gentle referral in the right direction not a virtual scalding.

Morning, I presume you all have visited this w/site to give some though to weathering your Pre-orders...?

http://www.kentrail....ass_419_MLV.htm

I see the MLV suffer the same sort of weathering phenomenon as the class 85, dirt does not seem to stick to the cabsides or the yellow ends! Does anyone have an explanation as to why this was the case, were these vehicles washed by hand? That would perhaps explain why only the critical areas were cleaned regularly and the rest left to accumulate dirt.

Archived