MLV Pre-production shots

St. Simon

• RMweb Premium

There was a drought in the summers on 1975 and 1976 which resulted in rolling stock being hand washed at the cab-ends only to conserve water. This practice also occurred in cold winters when there was a risk of depot washers causing icing of the rails or freezing up but a bucket of hot soapy water could still be applied to the safety-critical areas. In emergency it was also done if the local washing plant was defective for an extended period of time.

I see the MLV suffer the same sort of weathering phenomenon as the class 85, dirt does not seem to stick to the cabsides or the yellow ends! Does anyone have an explanation as to why this was the case, were these vehicles washed by hand? That would perhaps explain why only the critical areas were cleaned regularly and the rest left to accumulate dirt.

See also page 3 of this long thread, about post 70 onwards for more on the pattern of dirt.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Belgian

Did you get any other photographs of other models? Presumably the fully painted Blue Pullmans were there, and I can see the top of some Southern brake vans in your last picture. Was there anything else new on view?

JE

Looking good! What was the reason for them being there?

Did you get any other photographs of other models? Presumably the fully painted Blue Pullmans were there, and I can see the top of some Southern brake vans in your last picture. Was there anything else new on view?

JE

Reason for being at Shillingstone Station yesterday - The Big Launch - " A sneak preview of the range will shortly be delivered to the Station for a World exclusive unveiling on Saturday 30th June 2012". At my time of visit I only saw van from Bachmann next to rear of Station building no member of staff, it was lunchtime. Please find other pictures taken see some now and other were posted yesterday on Pendon & Shillingstone Scenecraft building topic post-4835-0-47412500-1341145312_thumb.jpgpost-4835-0-96707300-1341145223_thumb.jpgpost-4835-0-65924600-1341145148_thumb.jpgpost-4835-0-48585000-1341145085_thumb.jpg.

I note that the 'availability date' on the Bachmann website for the MLV has moved from JUNE/JULY to JULY/AUGUST.

They are perhaps on a slower boat than expected from China :O

I'd imagine this would be because June has been and gone :-) excited for this one!

I'd imagine this would be because June has been and gone :-) excited for this one!

The point of my post was to point out that the delivery date appears to have slipped back again, makes me wonder why when the item has been reviewed already in some of the mags, ( review models are usually air freighted, but general release stock usually arrives pretty soon afterwards)

• RMweb Premium

The speed of the slow boat from China is unfotunately not an exact science. Travel time on the high seas is affected by a number of factors including weather conditions, how many stops en route the ship is making, differing off loading/loading times at those ports etc, etc. Then there is the time the container(s) will take to clear customs when they arrive here which can also vary wildly due to amount of goods coming through at the time, place in the queue etc.

All that has to happen of course long before the boys and girls at Barwell can get their hands on it and then discover what the factory in China has actually sent them which again apparently can be a bit of a suprise (just ask Dapol Dave about those MRA wagons that were supposedly on the boat only apparently now they are not but the factory didn't think to tell him!)

Bachmann might also be taking the Olympics into account. The Royal Mail and logistics companies have drawn up plans to cope but that includes altered delivery schedules, so there's always a chance that deliveries in one part of the country might beat those in another by a week or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Class 419,, used as extra baggage space on Boat trains also used independantly and there is a photo on this thread showing 2 MLVs hauling a water tank wagon

There are others on here who will no doubt post more definitive answers!

Bachmann web site shows the 2 mentioned above as in stock, but the plain green one out of stock!!

Thanks Steve. I don't realy see how I can justify them on the Western reigion. Shame about that because they look really nice :(

They do/did have batteries for working off the third rail but I somehow dont think they would have got them very far down the WR before they ran out!

• RMweb Premium

Ah! The age-old conundrum which cropped up in many a railway quiz namely "How far can a <insert type of choice> travel on its traction batteries?"

There is no hard and fast answer. The distance would be influenced by the state of the batteries (fully charged would be rare unless a new set were installed), the gradient and curvature of the track, the driving technique and the power requested by the driver. Even in notch 1 batteries can be drained faster if a slightly higher speed is attained or more starting and stopping - with the need to draw current to overcome inertia and gravity - were required.

I also have heard suggestions of the 20-minute theory and these vehicles most certainly did run on battery power (sometimes also hauling or propelling a TLV with resultant effects on battery life) for several minutes at a time on the quay lines. They were also of course capable of restarting on battery power if "gapped" while nominally on the juice, something most EMU stock could not do. Whether they could run continuously for 20 minutes would be open to debate but I have no evidence to refute such a claim.

It is mentioned on the SEMG entry for the 419's they had a mail run on the (then) unelectrified Redhill - Tonbridge Route; in order to do the route entirely off juice the MLV had to have a clear run. If there was a station stop or signal check en-route it was highly likely that the MLV would not reach the other end and the safety of the conductor rail as its batteries would be flat. I think that is a very good example of the extreme limits of the MLV's endurance; again as Gwiwer said it depends on the state of the batteries as to how much 'leeway' the unit had - and the driver's technique.

Now back to the model... I really, really want one. I just don't think my bank balance would agree... MLV or food for a month... hmmm. :D

(Perhaps a diet is in order)

Cheers,

~ Gary

I would assume the '20 minute' figure would have included some sitting idle as well as shunting moves but not continuous powered running - note that is my own assumption, though.

I wonder if i can fit a traction battery into the Bacchy model ... ducking for cover now ... :devil:

• RMweb Premium

Given that I don't (yet) have any third-rail territory I sure hope we can get these things running on battery!

It would be quite a waste of traction power to have to couple one to a 33/1 just to get it moving! ;)

Archived