MLV Pre-production shots

St. Simon

Morning :blinkclear:

Gwiwer

Reverting to the TLV livery question above were they not first in maroon livery when transferred to the SR after conversion?

Yes they were. Due to high season boat train traffic,1963-1968. It was decided to up the anti, and have 2 luggage vans for boat trains from the channel ports,leading a formation of 12 car Ceps.

So 6.conventional BG. luggage vans were to become TLV's, fitting them out with EP braking, high level air and emu jumper cables.

Conversion was carried out @ Selhurst works,in 1968.

End corridor cons. were retained and sealed out of use.

When converted livery was B.R. Maroon which changed to Inter-city Blue/Grey...........

TLV's were taken out of service in 1975. And lived other lives,till 1979....Not many photo's about....

dt

• RMweb Premium

Didn't think I was misled on the livery there. I have however heard a few (spurious) claims that TLVs were once in green to match the MLVs. No they were not. A few loose-coupled BGs were, I believe, but as you say the maroon ones which underwent LV conversion were outshopped to SR traffic in b/g.

• RMweb Gold

Didn't think I was misled on the livery there. I have however heard a few (spurious) claims that TLVs were once in green to match the MLVs. No they were not. A few loose-coupled BGs were, I believe, but as you say the maroon ones which underwent LV conversion were outshopped to SR traffic in b/g.

If the conversion was carried out in '68, they would not have seen any green paint!

• RMweb Premium

Hello

I worked at Victoria from 1990, so post Central side rebuild, and recall that the majority of boat trains departed from either platform 2 or 7. Platform 2 can take 16 cars and platform 7 takes 13 - theres the clue..

As mentioned above, much of the baggage was bonded through customs, the Outward Baggage Office or OBO as we knew it as was on platform 7 (the shiny black building) and it was preferred for the MLV's to be at the London end of a train, although not unknown to be at the other end. The area above platforms 7,8 & 9 is known as the "raft" car park and this is where coach loads of passengers would disembark and make their way down in the station via the Central side escalators, their baggage would go into the two lifts down to the platform, both could take two loaded BRUTE trolleys, the trolleys would be towed to wherever needed and the baggage loaded into the MLV's. I believe non bonded items were placed directly into the units brake vans aswell.

On platform 7 was the Hoverspeed check in, VSOE check in and also RMT check in, this was the main hub for activity until the new shopping centre in the middle (now WHSmith) was built about 1991/2 when focus moved to Platform 2, the BR International Rail Centre (where I worked) was remodelled, what was the "day of travel" office was split up and converted in to VSOE lounge / check in and RMT / Hoverspeed. The Royal lounge was refurbished and is still used..

Also on platform 7 was Red Star parcels who also but items on boat trains, and Royal Mail lorries arrived at the "raft" car park above at mail train times for another flurry of activity... I assume the same would have happend earleir with newspaper trains but they had stopped by the time I worked there.

here is a picture I took at Sandling...just after the MLV's were renumbered - dont know headcode 4 was though, train is heading "up"

http://www.flickr.co...57626857089017/

cheers

Matt

That's an interesting picture. I don't recall seeing MLVs with a VEP before on what looks like a stopping service.

Must have missed this post then! Happens to all of us...

Headcode 4 was Dover-Tonbridge-Charing Cross I think, certainly not a boat train headcode.

• RMweb Gold

Must have missed this post then! Happens to all of us...

Headcode 4 was Dover-Tonbridge-Charing Cross I think, certainly not a boat train headcode.

Yes, 4 was Ramsgate - CX via Dover, while 90 was Ramsgate - CX via Canterbury West. Sometimes trains from both routes combined at Ashford, and the headcode of the first service to arrive there would simply be carried forward to London, much as happened at Faversham for Chatham services. I think there also used to be a headcode 18, which was the same as 4 - but ran in and out of Minster between calling at Sandwich and arriving at Ramsgate.

• 1 month later...

There is still some doubt there: it doesn't say that it dropped down onto a boat train. As posted earlier, the MLVs weren't exclusively used on boat trains.

And that's only a caption rather than photographic evidence - a later caption in the same flickr set says "08 592 stands in goodness knows where, don't remember taking these so location unknown", so that photographer wasn't necessarily meticulously recording stuff.

Anyone for the new series of CSI:RMweb?

Your right, I wasn't meticulous at recording data around that time :), girls were taking up most of my time and interest LOL, though I do remember that it was a single unit that went into Victoria, hence assumed that it was going onto its train, or was a single luggage working. I thought most boat trains were preset sets so would arrive with the MLV already at the London end, seeing one arrive on its own I've assumed it's not on a boat train and/or being used as a single or tacked onto the country end of an existing train all ready in the station. I'll check the rest of the negatives and see if there are any later that show where the MLV might have gone/been placed.Kindest Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the pre-production shots still show the error in the cabside window lengths on one side (with the battery hatches to the right). I really hope they have corrected the full production models.

I thought I read somewhere (perhaps earlier in this thread!) that Bachmann were aware of the issue, so fingers crossed that's the case. I don't know about you guys but I'm still pinching myself that we're getting an MLV. Only a few years ago the thought of a ready-to-run MLV, EPB and Cep was the stuff of dreams.

i admit i cant see what you are saying SRman

you got any pics to show the error in question? Have you contacted them about your concern?

thanks in advance from Steve

The Secondman's cab side wnidow (off-side) should be shorter in length.

post-7009-0-54015100-1336694350_thumb.jpg

Thanks for fielding that query, Ceptic. Looking at the Replica pic, you can see the two different window lengths. However, if Bachmann produce what is shown in their pics, the cabside windows at one end of the MLV would both be short ones while at the otehr end, both would be longer ones, whereas each end should have a longer window on the driver's side, shorter on the secondman's side, as shown by the Replica model.

As Electrostar said, this was certainly mentioned earlier in the thread. I revived the question because I found it worrying that Bachmann are showing what appear to be final factory-finished models still with that error. I really hope they have not only taken note of it but actually have corrected it.

Fingers crossed! Seeing the three models got me thinking how Modelzone might like to commission an all-blue version to match its all-blue 4Cep, and another shop or the Collectors' Club might fancy the Post Office livery. That would leave NSE and both versions of Jaffa Cake to match the much wished-for refurbished CEPs in those liveries. Only speculation but food for thought. But perhaps I should just concentrate on the near future first. ;)

Thanks for fielding that query, Ceptic. Looking at the Replica pic, you can see the two different window lengths. However, if Bachmann produce what is shown in their pics, the cabside windows at one end of the MLV would both be short ones while at the otehr end, both would be longer ones, whereas each end should have a longer window on the driver's side, shorter on the secondman's side, as shown by the Replica model.

As Electrostar said, this was certainly mentioned earlier in the thread. I revived the question because I found it worrying that Bachmann are showing what appear to be final factory-finished models still with that error. I really hope they have not only taken note of it but actually have corrected it.

Hi SRman, Uk_Steve & All.

No probs. It was just luck I had the pics to hand from an old thread. It's a pity I haven't got any side-on prototype shots, as I'm taking it for granted that Replica's MLV is correct.

The reason for the shorter secondman's window was to allow for the auxillary cupboard, positioned against the cab bulkhead on that side, at the battery (A?) end, A smaller cupboard being in the other cab.

As you say, I'm also hoping !!, fingers crossed, it wouldn't be like Bachmann to get this detail wrong, as it shows up correctly on their CEP & EPB.

Cheers

Yes they were. Due to high season boat train traffic,1963-1968. It was decided to up the anti, and have 2 luggage vans for boat trains from the channel ports,leading a formation of 12 car Ceps.

So 6.conventional BG. luggage vans were to become TLV's, fitting them out with EP braking, high level air and emu jumper cables.

Conversion was carried out @ Selhurst works,in 1968.

End corridor cons. were retained and sealed out of use.

When converted livery was B.R. Maroon which changed to Inter-city Blue/Grey...........

TLV's were taken out of service in 1975. And lived other lives,till 1979....Not many photos about....

The information above I believe is taken from David Brown's superb 'Southern Electric' volume 2 which repeats the claim that "all (TLV) went into service while still painted maroon." I shall admit to not being 100% convinced at this as of the 6 BG used for the conversion to TLV most had been previously reported in 'Railway Observer' as having been repainted into blue/grey. I have also been sent livery details and repaint details on the TLVs (which admittedly are not as complete as other units) as well as the MLVs by John Atkinson who is a respected authority on Southern units. It is believed that only 1 BG became a TLV whilst still maroon (S68203)....

Class 499 TLV S68201- 68206 (Mk1 BG with high level air pipes for use with MLV, CEP, BEP)

Carried blue/grey on 1968 conversion until withdrawal. S68203 possibly converted in lined maroon.

S68201 new5-68BG, 76wdn

S68202 new1-68BG, 76wdn

S68203 new?-68MR ?-70BG, 76wdn

S68204 new2-68BG, 76wdn

S68205 new5-68BG, 76wdn

Class 419 MLV S68001- 68010

Standard change was from green with small yellow panels to blue/grey with full yellow ends. Exceptions were:

Blue with full yellow ends: 68004

Later repaints were:

London & SouthEast: 68001*/03/05*/06/07/08/09/10 * early version

Network SouthEast: 68001/02/04/08

Royal Mail Red: 68001/04

Blue with full yellow ends: 68003

The first date is repaint from green:

S68001 c7-70BG, 6-85LSE(1), 2-89RMR, c6-89NSE(3), wdn

S68002 by2-69BG, 6-89NSE(3), wdn

S68003 by8-68BG, 3-86LSE(2), BFYE wdn

S68004 30-3-67BFYE, c8-70BG, 27-10-88RMR, 7-89NSE(3), wdn

S68005 by8-68BG, 3-86LSE(1), wdn

S68006 by2-69BG, 27-6-88LSE(2), wdn

S68007 by4-70BG, c5-87LSE(2), wdn

S68008 by11-69BG, 6-86LSE(2), ? by NSE(3), wdn

S68009 by5-70BG, 7-86LSE(2), wdn

S68010 by11-69BG, 4-12-86LSE(2), wdn

MR- Lined Maroon

BFYE- Blue with Full Yellow Ends

BG- Blue/Grey with Full Yellow Ends

LSE1- London & South East beige/orange/brown

LSE2- London & South East beige/orange/brown (revised with black stripe)

NSE3- Network SouthEast Blue/white/red/grey- no upsweep at cab ends

RMR- Royal Mail Red with twin yellow stripes at base

Mark Brinton records in his document 'BR Mk1 NPCCS' the following:

S68201 (ex M80913)

S68202 (ex M80918)

S68203 (ex M80922) (converted in lined maroon)

S68204 (ex M80925)

S68205 (ex M80942)

S68206 (ex M80951)

All are recorded as having BR2 bogies on conversion during 1968 but later having Mk2 bogies fitted- ? during 1974. Withdrawal came in 1976 and all were later transferred to the departmental fleet. Of note is that the waist level air pipes and 27-wire jumpers were fitted on the offside only this meant that two TLV could not be coupled together with through MU control.. The gangway connections were retained with the doors sealed up in case of reuse.

I have a number of CWN that show the workings of the MLV on both the boat and mail trains. I will try and post some of them if anyone is interested.

I hope the above is of some use.

Ah yes - the "Flying Fourgon" railtour. 2xMLV at one end and a GLV at the other for motive power. The idea seemed outrageous at the time and no doubt if it was suggested today would be met with a sucking of teeth and a "you can't do that" attitude but it ran and is now a part of railtour folklore.

The photograph (and link) is post 82 is actually of the "The Vulcan Vantrain" which ran on March 15th 1986 from Paddington with 50025 to Hastings, thence 33206 to Ashford. Here the train was split (as Robert Carroll describes) and 33201,33206,50025 and 73003 took the now two trains between Ashford and Folkestone. The highlight would have been 68001 and 68005 hauling the train between Ashford- Ashford via Sandwich and Dover Priory.

The "Flying Fourgon" ran on May 8th 1989 and utilised 33042, 68007, 68010, 68508 and 8013 running from Charing Cross- Ashford- Hastings- Tunbridge Wells- Hastings- Eastbourne- Clapham Jun- Staines- Portsmouth Harbour- Chichister- Three Bridge- Charing Cross. The main motive power was 68007/10 and 68508 with additional help from 33042 from Ashford-Rye- Hastings. In his article in the SEG journal 'Live Rail', Nick Lawford outlined the story behind the use of the GLV- which involved cutting out some of the traction motors to avoid exceeding the conductor rail index. Will try and post a summary of it when I dig out the article.

Details of the tour and some photos can be found on Six Bells Junction- http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/80s/880508se.htm

Ah yes - the "Flying Fourgon" railtour. 2xMLV at one end and a GLV at the other for motive power. The idea seemed outrageous at the time and no doubt if it was suggested today would be met with a sucking of teeth and a "you can't do that" attitude but it ran and is now a part of railtour folklore.

The photograph (and link) is post 82 is actually of the "The Vulcan Vantrain" which ran on March 15th 1986 from Paddington with 50025 to Hastings, thence 33206 to Ashford. Here the train was split (as Robert Carroll describes) and 33201,33206,50025 and 73003 took the now two trains between Ashford and Folkestone. The highlight would have been 68001 and 68005 hauling the train between Ashford- Ashford via Sandwich and Dover Priory.

The "Flying Fourgon" ran on May 8th 1989 and utilised 33042, 68007, 68010, 68508 and 8013 running from Charing Cross- Ashford- Hastings- Tunbridge Wells- Hastings- Eastbourne- Clapham Jun- Staines- Portsmouth Harbour- Chichister- Three Bridge- Charing Cross. The main motive power was 68007/10 and 68508 with additional help from 33042 from Ashford-Rye- Hastings. In his article in the SEG journal 'Live Rail', Nick Lawford outlined the story behind the use of the GLV- which involved cutting out some of the traction motors to avoid exceeding the conductor rail index. Will try and post a summary of it when I dig out the article.

Details of the tour and some photos can be found on Six Bells Junction- http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/80s/880508se.htm

• RMweb Premium

By a curious twist of fate your post has reminded me that I am about to travel over some of the track used by the Vulcan Van Train and Flying Fourgon tours for the first time since those ran! I have very seldom ventured onto the SE main lines (and 'never' do so now being based down under) but have to get from Brighton to Margate and back on the only day when the coastal route is closed for track works. The only option offering a cheap ticket is via Redhill - Tonbridge - Ashford - Canterbury but I don't expect to see any GLV / MLV / TLV stock. Unless I can arrange a diversion via Shepherdswell. :locomotive:

Archived