RMweb

Hornby B1

Guest Tom F

Morning all

Not meaning to make a froth thread, but I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything on the Hornby B1, as it all seems to have gone quiet, could it be as the B17 has been pushed back a year from it's original intended release date, the B1 has gone the same way.

Can't wait to see what she looks like, if it's anything like the L1...she's going to be a right corker! ;)

Tom

Hi Tom,

Good to see you are still around. Is it correct that you are pulling your layout apart to build a new one?

Anyway the Hornby B1 was in a photograph that was sent via email newsletter from Hornby, september I think. There was also a LNER B17 heading the other way, both locos were pulling the new gresley suburban coaches. Unfortunately I cannot find the email, so cannot show the photo. I would head to the website and check, but there was no news.

regards

Mark

Hi Mark

Good to hear from you :)

I believe this is the pic your were referring to

2092.jpg

Really looks the business! as do thos suburbans :) and can't be too far off looking at that picture! :D

• Like 1

I too am awaiting the New B1's from either of the manufacturers. (my current B1 met with a accident when Son No1 pushed it off the layout. The body was OK but the chassis was never the same!) The Suburbans and the B1 was really the only rolling stock that I was interested in buying this year. If ther B1 from Hornby is better than the Bachmann which was very very good for its day (was it really 1990 when they came out from Replica) i am not sure that they can surpass the quality. The biggest thing I think that will be done is to make the Chassis DCC friendly and make the tender so that it can be fitted with a sound speaker.

The suburbans do look great and are the perfect accompanyment to the B1 and L1. I am finding the whole situation to be interesting as to what the main stream manufacturers can bring out next ( particullarly for the LNER).

Yes Tom, that is certainly the pic I was referring to. All the stock looks good too me. Will have to wait for them.

Doug, what a scenario you raise with the interest for next year. You might start a wish list thread with this thinking.

Well I am going to add my bit. I think we will see a LNER 0-6-0 with tender of some sort from Bachmann announced, any would do, but preference would be a J21 to J27 (exNER), but J6 and J15 polled very highly this year. What about a Director D10 & D11 4-4-0, I'm hoping for a D10 as I will buy several especially with Walter Burgh Gair 5433/62654 emblazened on the sides. we might see a J50 0-6-0T, a Q6/Q7 0-8-0 and maybe a G5 0-4-4T as they are building one in the north of England.

Mark

... If the B1 from Hornby is better than the Bachmann which was very very good for its day (was it really 1990 when they came out from Replica) i am not sure that they can surpass the quality...

It can only be detail items to improve on, cab windshields and roof vents and other small fittings, the front quadrant fillet on some locos, maybe make the cylinder casings full length; the basic accuracy and appearance of the Replica and Bachmann loco bodyshell is fine. A tender with a coal space and brake shoes in line with the wheel tyres will make an improvement that currently requires DIY attention.

I have been surprised that Bachmann waited this long to give the B1 the chassis upgrade to wiper pick up. (Maybe they were going the maximum commercial economy route of waiting until the exisiting chassis tools were finally 'shot' before renewing, who knows?) The body mouldings are more than good enough to go on with, and a class with genuine all region presence that could be seen almost anywhere in the BR steam era; but bound to be losing sales because of the awkward conversion required for DCC.

Of course, the competition is welcome: there might be some discounts to be had after the initial rush of sales. The Thompson B1 was very cheap for a class 5 machine, which would be a useful aspect for a good model to emulate...

How much would I like a small LNER territory 0-6-0; I too hope Bachmann follow up the 3F and O1 with something similar for the East. The J15 strikes me as having real potential simply on looks; they were also numerous by LNER standards, got off the GER lines, and did everything from main line to very light branchline duties. There simply isn't a real branchline loco available for LNER, and this one fills a raft of slots.

Guest Max Stafford

Not quite on topic here, but I understand that the coupled wheelbase of the 3F is the same as the C class, so if Bachmann are following the logic that I believe them to be then they will perhaps have noted that the coupled wheelbase of these two locos corresponds exactly with that of the J21/25/26/27...

Back to the subject matter though, both the B1 and coaches are eminently suitable for my modelling needs and I await their arrival with great anticipation - this photo is a wonderful example!

Dave.

• Like 1

The Hornby B1 looks sublime, although I agree with the above statements that the Replica / Bachmann effort is still pretty good even though the tooling is getting on a bit. For me it'll be down to price as I need several for my NE MPD project. Shame the B17's were never NE residents, Hornby's new tooling looks beautiful.

very appertising. I wasn't planning to buy one at this stage, but this looks good, no more than good, excellent, so may succumb.

Oh the bank balance will take a battering if this comes out with the B17 due shortly?. I would think that this is a prototype so may be 3 months away possibly. only a guess though.

Mark

very appertising. I wasn't planning to buy one at this stage, but this looks good, no more than good, excellent, so may succumb.

Oh the bank balance will take a battering if this comes out with the B17 due shortly?. I would think that this is a prototype so may be 3 months away possibly. only a guess though.

Mark

In time for Christmas....fingers crossed :D

I did propose in another thread a year or 2 ago that it is 3 months from examples as about before they hit the shops. the Photo above does capture the look of the beasts. i like the builders plate to the fram extensions to the buffer beam area. as 34 above mentioned the sight screens and a number of other detail items that hve been added I think we are in for a good loco.

Back on the "Not a wish list" The manufacturers are working through the poll information each year So I guess we will see some more LNER and LMS loco's. I have a soft spot for the J21/ J24 due to having started scratch building 3 (better not to ask) But a left fielder does usually turn up. Ie the Garrat from Hattons. I will be patient and await a new B1 from either of the manufacturers (or may be one from both!!!) with a set of Suburbans running behind the L1. Oooh what about another suburban style loco?

Even though there was alot of comments at the time of the announcement regarding duplicating Bachmann's B1...all my Bachmann B1s are hopeless runners, granted the chassis is being upgraded.

I do think it's a beauty of a loco, and I can't wait to get some renumbering, weathering and a 50A shed plate on a couple ;)

I see that, according to the views of the new Bachmann chassis in the Hornby magazine, Bachmann do NOT intend to make these chassis available seperately, so that means no replacements for existing locos. Shame. They would undoubtedly sell like hot cakes.

gresley

Really looking forward to this model, the B1 will really fit in well on my East coast mainline dcc exhibition layout. Having a large collection of both Hornby & Bachmann loco's the big advantage with Hornby is the fact they fit pickups in their tenders. Why Bachmann don't do the same is beyond me, I also remember a couple of years ago talking to Graham Hubbard of Bachmann at Warley where I asked him about an updated DCC ready B1, he said they had no plans to develop a DCC fitted chassis B1!!!. I also understand they are not going to update the body along with their new chaasis's. I suppose all this plays nicely into Hornbys hands! On a slightly different thread I was in Olivia's Trains of Sheffield last week where I was shown a very nice K1. It had been build using a Bachmann B1 body which had been cut down and married to a 2-6-0 loco drive chassis ( can't quite remember which one but think it was a SR one) it looked stunning. I think I will have a look at maybe doing one myself.

Cheers

silverlink

Which suggests Bachmann have also modified the body tooling to me.

Dave.

In reference to the new chassis for the A4, B1 and V2, the current issue of Bachmann Collectors Club magazine states that " in all cases the existing bodies have been retained but some realignment between tender and locomotive cab has taken place to improve the models further"

There are a few other tweaks they could carry out but we'll have to wait and see how the revised versions compare in detail / price with their Hornby rivals. It's the Tornado / A1 affair in reverse!

RP

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

In all fairness, the Bachmann B1 is still pretty good. It'll probably lack the finesse of Hornby's take but there'll be nothing that stops it scrubbing up nicely.

Dave.

In all fairness, the Bachmann B1 is still pretty good. It'll probably lack the finesse of Hornby's take but there'll be nothing that stops it scrubbing up nicely.

Dave.

This is the crux of the matter for me. If the Bachmann B1 turns out to be a good runner - and comes out some way under the Hornby price of in and around £140 (I believe Bachmann were quoted at £90 RRP for the B1?) then I'll be saving my pennies for the Bachmann version. There's no doubt the Hornby model, going by the L1's superb form, would be brilliant - but is it really £50 better than the Hornby one? I'd rather have two Bachmann B1s for £180 than a single Hornby one for £140ish...

So, has anyone heard anything about the Hornby B17? I haven't seen anything regarding release of any of the B17's, other than the first one was due late September, early October.

I think there will be stiff competition to get the B1's out asap and this may force the price down. Which is good for the consumer of Model Trains.

Mark