Hornby B1

Guest Tom F

May I enquire who told you, David? I was told by a nice lady on the Hornby stand at the Peterborough show that the D49 would be available this month but still no sign (a few days to go though).

Regards,

Brian.

Cheltenham Model Centre and Hattons are the source but their only quoting the data they have from Hornby. I hope to get one or three soon after launch.

Cheltenham Model Centre and Hattons are the source but their only quoting the data they have from Hornby. I hope to get one or three soon after launch.

Well I have signed up to be notified from hattons so we will have to see.

Did they mention the B17 David?

After christmas - but they didn't say which christmas :locomotive: :scratchhead:

It is interesting how much long the B17 appeared before the B1, and B1 seems closer. Both certainly look like they are worth waiting for! :)

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to rain on people's parade, though it's probably better than building up their hopes falsely, but there's no mention of the B1 in Hornby's 'due in the next 30 days' page, and neither Cheltenham nor Hattons believe in their 5th December rumour enough to put it up on their websites. I'd say 'as you were, gents' and expect it in the new year.

Sorry to rain on people's parade, though it's probably better than building up their hopes falsely, but there's no mention of the B1 in Hornby's 'due in the next 30 days' pagI, and neither Cheltenham nor Hattons believe in their 5th December rumour enough to put it up on their websites. I'd say 'as you were, gents' and expect it in the new year.

Thanks Daddyman, at least we know, and like you say, stops hopes being raised too much.

Tom

Sorry to rain on people's parade, though it's probably better than building up their hopes falsely, but there's no mention of the B1 in Hornby's 'due in the next 30 days' page, and neither Cheltenham nor Hattons believe in their 5th December rumour enough to put it up on their websites. I'd say 'as you were, gents' and expect it in the new year.

I don't think that Hornby's webmaster keeps the site all that up to date. One of the items so-called due in the next 31 days is already available at Hattons (R3007X Weathered L1 DCC fitted). So, I live in hope that the proverbial slow boat from China will arrive sometime soon. :smile_mini2:

Regards,

Brian.

Guest Max Stafford

Deliveries seem to work on an approximate monthly basis. The first Gresleys got to the shops about a fortnight ago so it's reasonable to suspect that another load (hopefully including the B1s) will arrive in the shops about mid-December.

Dave.

Deliveries seem to work on an approximate monthly basis. The first Gresleys got to the shops about a fortnight ago so it's reasonable to suspect that another load (hopefully including the B1s) will arrive in the shops about mid-December.

Dave.

Wise words spoken from a man of the Borders.... ;)

Guest Max Stafford

Ah, don't worry SL, they'll get here soon enough. You know what they say; good things come to those who wait. I'm sure it won't be long at all.

Dave.

• Like 1

Now that would be great, well remember these at Scarborough always in and out on the York trains. We had 61445 shedded here for years and never really bothered when it came past on a train. Another class that would have been worth doing is the K1 alas not to be. Still I'm sure the B1 will be most welcome on 'Haymarket Cross'

silverlink

• RMweb Premium

Am I right in thinking that we've only seen one fully dressed version of the three they are to produce? Isn't that a bad sign? Or is this normal? I might be mistaken but surely they would have finished samples of all three versions to show around if they were so close to production?

Edited by Daddyman

They can take forever for all I care. Hell will freeze over before I buy one for wasting yet another oppotunity for more classes. Wheres my B16 Mr Hornby? :nono:

I'm honestly not sure you will see a B16 RTR, if you look at the wheelbase and how the con rod links to the front crank, any swing off the bogie is going to be severely restricted especially on B16 rebuilds.

I've been told by a highly respected professional kit builder who is building me a B16/3, that below 36inch radii doesn't look a goer.... :I

Edited by Tom F

I think it's really rather telling about priorities that the 2010 announcement, the B17s, have yet to appear, and the B1 (2011 announcement) is going to jump the queue (fear of the forthcoming, cheaper, Bachmann alternative...?)

The Hornby model does look rather splendid the more I look at it, but I remain unconvinced this isn't going to go the way of the 4MT business...

I'm honestly not sure you will see a B16 RTR, if you look at the wheelbase and how the con rod links to the front crank, any swing off the bogie is going to be severely restricted especially on B16 rebuilds.

I've been told by a highly respected professional kit build who is making a B16/3 that below 36inch doesn't look a goer.... :/

You say that Tom, but everyone and their mother told me for years an RTR A2/3 which would go round second radius curves wasn't possible. Graeme managed it without much fuss.

If you cut notches into the back of the cylinders - as Hornby do on most of their models anyway - and if they use a better swing link mechanism for the front bogie, I think a B16 should be more than possible. If Graeme can get a long wheelbase Thompson Pacific to go round second radius curves, a 4-6-0 in the vein of the Raven machine shouldn't be too difficult.

Edited by S.A.C Martin

If anyone still doubts what the plastic RTR manufactirers can do as regards getting their locos around toy-town curves, they only have to look at the Compound as produced by the NRM. On paper this beggar needs large radius curves. A B16 and Thompson Pacific with the bogie out front ahead of the cylinders are a doddle in comparison.

I think we will see a B16 shortly, as they were one of those locos with character like the LNWR/LMS Super D. By the time of withdrawal they were the very last link with big pre-grouping designs (introduced in 1919), a thing that delighted those of us who made the pilgrimage to Leeds and York in the early 1960's. In those areas and Scarborough they were far more common than the B1.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You say that Tom, but everyone and their mother told me for years an RTR A2/3 which would go round second radius curves wasn't possible. Graeme managed it without much fuss.

People also said that an S&D 7F was not practical in RTR, and yet Bachmann managed it. Makes me wonder if the longer wheelbase types such as 72XXs are equally feasible with a bit of clever engineering.

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 1

Wy not one or two of each?

Put simply - uniformity in the fleet! :)

I deliberately didn't buy one of each of the Horn/Bach 4MTs as I was of the opinion they'd look odd next to each other. Of course, my father then bought a Hornby 4MT, and since then we've "debated" robustly which we think looks the better of our two. I still maintain the Bachmann model looks "more" (subjective) like a 4MT though accept the Hornby model is "finer" (subjective too).

Since I'll need three or four of whichever brand for an accurate depiction of 37B/56C, the cost per unit is the most significant factor for me.