Hornby B1

Guest Tom F

It does appear from the Bachmann image that the old over-prominant handrail knobs have been attended to. I cannot imagine what they have done to the body seeing as it was a superb moulding. One thing in Bachmanns favour are its coupling rods; not pressings as per Hornby, but of a proper thickness with knuckle joints. The revamped A4 also looks neat, but this is probably down to Bachmann's BR green, which is far more realistic than Hornby's "Stored outside for 12 months" washed out green. On the otherhand, Bachmann should drop its overscale flourescent lining and adopt Hornby's lining!

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

While I know what you mean about the Hornby Green, Larry, my latest couple of purchases, 60093 and 60027 seem to have a richer shade than earlier offerings. It's definitely not the same as the rather flat and lifeless tone of say the first edition Clan Line.

Dave.

Talking to one of the Bachmann guys at Swindon last week that is exactly what he said. They are in the business of making and selling locos (among many other things of course) and are not a dealer in parts of locos. This makes quite a lot of sense when you think of all the sales they might potentially lose if instead of buying new B1s people were just to buy new chassis for their old locos. I can see that idea possibly ruffling a few feathers but there is a very real economic point to it in my view - if a manufacturer didn't take that approach what money would they be making to fund future investment? Simple answer in a case like this would be 'a lot less'.

Wonder if you would contemplate buying a car if the maker said he did not produce spares. good job we have more than a few car manufacturers to chose from, although those now giving 7 year warranties should mean you wo'nt have to purchase spares for 7 years. or those who suggest their warranties can 'last a lifetime', Time will tell at least with the cars. Beeman

Edited by beeman

Wonder if you would contemplate buying a car if the maker said he did not produce spares.

If I was dependent on a 4mm scale B1 to get me to work, do the shopping, go to the tip and all the other indispensible aspects of modern life, I might think that a valid comparison. But thankfully I'm not.

In any case, I'd think that obtaining spares for cars as old as some of these B1s are nowadays is no easy task either.

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Although it came up on page 1 or page 2 here that many B1s had flush-sided tenders, especially the higher numbered Scottish ones, I haven't seen any mention of whether Hornby are catering for this. I'm pretty sure that 61243 had a flush-sided tender. Can anyone confirm these two points?

Apart from allowing the modelling of Scottish B1s, this type of tender would be helpful for those of us who've despaired of ever getting an RTR K1.

Another point, I'm guessing they're not doing the Scottish 'fillets' added under the angles in the footplate to strengthen latter? 61243 certainly had them.

The picture looked very nice in this months Model Rail....I'm interested if the B17 will have a permanent connection between loco and tender too now know it's happening with the B1.

This is the crux of the matter for me. If the Bachmann B1 turns out to be a good runner - and comes out some way under the Hornby price of in and around £140 (I believe Bachmann were quoted at £90 RRP for the B1?) then I'll be saving my pennies for the Bachmann version. There's no doubt the Hornby model, going by the L1's superb form, would be brilliant - but is it really £50 better than the Hornby one? I'd rather have two Bachmann B1s for £180 than a single Hornby one for £140ish...

Couldn't agree more S.A.C.

I will need 3 to replace mt old Replica ones and to stave off my 3 Black 5 L.M.S. interlopers and so price is the big issue for me too.....

Cheers.

Sean.

• Like 1

It only caters for those tenders that had a thin coping at the tops of the sides, which is why they look slighty "stepped" in this area.

A lot of B1 tenders were flat / flush-sided, however.

Would this be the same as the surgery conducted on my K1 Horsey, or is it more involved? If I've done it once, I could do it again hopefully.

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Premium

Would this be the same as the surgery conducted on my K1 Horsey, or is it more involved? If I've done it once, I could do it again hopefully.

That's right, yes. File off the lap joint and fabricate the beading with 0.5mm plastic rod (to represent one-and-a-half inches on the real thing).

It was NBL who fitted the flush-sided tenders, and they also built (some of?) the K1s. Maybe someone else can confirm but I have a feeling there was a difference in the shape of the frames at the rear, but admit that this feeling might be totally unfounded ...

Hopefully if Hornby do the flush-sided tender there's going to be a lot more of their B1 useable on a K1 conversion.

I could see the small class of B2s coming next. They have the wheelbase, after all, and the tenders from the B17. Add to that the possibility of a Royal Engine, special edition (Royal Sovereign) and it's got the apple green, named and express boxes all ticked (despite a very narrow sphere of influence compared to the B1 and B17s).

How about one of the B17's that were fitted with the B1 (100a) boiler.

You mean a B2 ^

I could see the small class of B2s coming next. They have the wheelbase, after all, and the tenders from the B17. Add to that the possibility of a Royal Engine, special edition (Royal Sovereign) and it's got the apple green, named and express boxes all ticked (despite a very narrow sphere of influence compared to the B1 and B17s)

I sure do love having invisible ink :scratchhead:

You mean a B2 ^

I sure do love having invisible ink :scratchhead:

If thats what they are, but for all intents and purposes in model terms couldn't be that difficult seeing as Hornby will have both in their stable and look at the appeal to all those footie fans being able to have loco with their favorite team name on it, even the scouts could have one 61646 (Gilwell Park), footie no's from 61648

Edited by johnd
  • Like 1

I'm afraid there's quite a bit more to a B2 than just a B17 with a B1 boiler.

I've got a Crownline conversion kit stashed away for this very purpose...!

My point was that they have the major dimensions of the 100a boiler and the chassis to go under it for a B2. A good enough starting point at any rate.

Edited by S.A.C Martin

Sorry, I didn't know whether you realised a B17 with a dia 100a B1 boiler was a B17/6; somewhat different from a B2.

I did yes, but I didn't make my initial post entirely clear of that, so you have my apologies.

Looking over the photographs of B2s I have to hand, you'd need to use the standard Thompson front bogie (from the B1), tool up two new cylinders of the 20in by 26in type, and on the bodyshell, tool up the deeper shouldered front curve to the running plate of the B2 (because of course, they had 6ft 8in wheels as opposed the B1's 6ft 2in), and the standard Thompson cab fitted along with the aforementioned boiler, both of which have their major dimensions shared with the B1 which will be in the range.

Not actually as much as I thought there would be to do, from what I can see in the major shared components stakes. There's probably all manner of other detail differences elsewhere on the engine, but you've got a reasonable amount of the R&D from B17 and B1 which can be reused for a B2.

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

From a completely leftfield aspect; who has considered the likelihood of a Thompson 01? In the mid 1940s they got to many corners of the system and in the BR era the frequented the GC and the Consett Ore trains.

Just a thought...

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Luckily I've got this Crownline B17-B2 conversion kit stashed away from years ago so I was planning to make use of that for the cab and running plate conversion, but thought the cylinders and valve gear bits etc from an expired Replica B1 might come in handy if I can bring myself to chop up £100+ of Hornby loco! Tenders for B2s are a bit of a minefield though...