Hornby B1

Guest Tom F

Well irrespective of how the tender is coupled to the loco I have to say from the images thus far shown I have to say the chimney looks supect to me as did the one on the ex Replica current Bachmann B1, which I recall I removed and replaced with Dave Bradwell B1 brass example. Surely all they had to do was copy it from the L1

Bob

Let's wait and see what it looks like in the flesh - but you're right to be doubtful. Despite the huge strides in the accuracy of steam-era rtr models in recent years,the main manufacturers still seem to have a bit of a blind spot in the chimney department. Examples?....in the case of Hornby,the Royal Scot and ,in Bachmann's,the Fairburn tank. They appear not to fully appreciate how important getting the chimney profile absolutely right can be to capturing the particular "character" of a loco class.

DR

Further Ebay idiots, I see a buyer has just paid £30.00 inc p/p for a Replica Bi chassis , had he checked out the Replica website ,a chassis c/w wheels /motor is available for £15.00. + p/p , and this will come with a warranty, MAD, Beeman.

... What about using the new chassis Bachmann are selling for their B1 under a Replica body ...

The most likely way to get that chassis is with a Bachmann body on it, and a tender to go with it. They may be retooling just the chassis but I do not expect it to be available as a spare. The previous practise of offering their split chassis unit as a spare apparently didn't make money...

• RMweb Gold

The most likely way to get that chassis is with a Bachmann body on it, and a tender to go with it. They may be retooling just the chassis but I do not expect it to be available as a spare. The previous practise of offering their split chassis unit as a spare apparently didn't make money...

Talking to one of the Bachmann guys at Swindon last week that is exactly what he said. They are in the business of making and selling locos (among many other things of course) and are not a dealer in parts of locos. This makes quite a lot of sense when you think of all the sales they might potentially lose if instead of buying new B1s people were just to buy new chassis for their old locos. I can see that idea possibly ruffling a few feathers but there is a very real economic point to it in my view - if a manufacturer didn't take that approach what money would they be making to fund future investment? Simple answer in a case like this would be 'a lot less'.

• Like 1

As per the last quote I mentioned to the Heljan rep at an exhibition about selling all the Claytons they had recieved back due to the mechanism fault as dummies cos in real life these locos usually ran in pairs and it would be a good way of disposing of these returns. The answer was that they were not intested in selling either chassis or dummies. The only wanted to sell locos.

This is the crux of the matter for me. If the Bachmann B1 turns out to be a good runner - and comes out some way under the Hornby price of in and around £140 (I believe Bachmann were quoted at £90 RRP for the B1?) then I'll be saving my pennies for the Bachmann version. There's no doubt the Hornby model, going by the L1's superb form, would be brilliant - but is it really £50 better than the Hornby one? I'd rather have two Bachmann B1s for £180 than a single Hornby one for £140ish...

Signal Box are doing the new Bachys for £73.99 and the Hornbys for £94.99, so 21 quid difference. I shall be buying Bachmann ones as punishment to Hornby for denying us an all new LNER loco due to their obsession of treading on Bachmanns toes.

Edited by D605Eagle
  • Like 2

Talking to one of the Bachmann guys at Swindon last week that is exactly what he said. They are in the business of making and selling locos (among many other things of course) and are not a dealer in parts of locos. This makes quite a lot of sense when you think of all the sales they might potentially lose if instead of buying new B1s people were just to buy new chassis for their old locos. I can see that idea possibly ruffling a few feathers but there is a very real economic point to it in my view - if a manufacturer didn't take that approach what money would they be making to fund future investment? Simple answer in a case like this would be 'a lot less'.

If I ran the country manufacturers would be forced to supply a full range of spare parts. I do believe this is already the case in some countries. After all it makes sence from a waste of resorces point of view.

As per the last quote I mentioned to the Heljan rep at an exhibition about selling all the Claytons they had recieved back due to the mechanism fault as dummies cos in real life these locos usually ran in pairs and it would be a good way of disposing of these returns. The answer was that they were not intested in selling either chassis or dummies. The only wanted to sell locos.

Except that for some time Howes were selling motorless Claytons for £45! (now all sold I believe)

• RMweb Gold

If I ran the country manufacturers would be forced to supply a full range of spare parts. I do believe this is already the case in some countries. After all it makes sence from a waste of resorces point of view.

Spare parts are one thing - cutting your own throat by providing people with upgrades to locos when you would rather sell them a new loco is I think something rather different from the manufacturer's viewpoint.

Spare parts are one thing - cutting your own throat by providing people with upgrades to locos when you would rather sell them a new loco is I think something rather different from the manufacturer's viewpoint.

Perhaps, but Vi-Trains seem to be making a fair go of it with their chassis upgrades for the Lima 37s, despite having their own model available.

Guest Max Stafford

I kind of see where you're coming from Jim, but the situation is slightly different in that they are providing upgraded chassis for what is essentially a defunct line; whereas Bachmann's model is still an essentially 'live' item. If I were Bachmann I wouldn't be acting differently from what they are. Barwell and Margate will both receive some of my monies as far as B1s are concerned.

Dave.

From vague memory, there was an interview with someone from Bachmann in one of the mags a few years back, in which they said that when they did offer replacement chassis separately, they were very slow sellers

• RMweb Premium

I understand your frustration - many years ago I had two Hornby West Country bodies (one SR the other BR liveried) and swopped them over on the one chassis as the whim took me. But it meant I bought only one complete loco not two, thereby reducing Hornby's revenue. If everyone did this, profits would drop and ultimately there would be less money to invest in new models.

In the past, manufacturers have produced spare parts and we have been able to buy them from retailers. Now that most production is in China, the likes of Bachmann and Hornby have to decide what and how many spares to have made at the same time as the complete model to keep the costs down. Rather than send these spare parts to retailers, they retain them in house and offer a repair service. This is potentially less wasteful because parts are not left unsold with retailers across the country (or globe even).

Surely what matters is that spare parts are available, during the warranty period in particular, to repair a model that is defective. As a general rule they are, just not sold separately. Personally, I don't think this approach is unreasonable.

For longer term maintenance, you need to think anout sparing for yourself. With a common loco like the B1, I will buy at least one loco as the 'break for spares' unit. Since Bach and Hornby have decided to compete, this will hopefully result in less popular versions offered at a good discount: there's the spares... (This does mean standardising on one or the other of course. Unless the Hornby is in some way mid-blowingly good, it's gonna be the cheaper Bachmann that gets the nod from me.)

Hornby produces some very nice parts and I'm currently chasing up Gresley bogies. Not to save money, but because they are simply the best around despite their fragility. I'll strengthen them. I already buy coaches just to break for their bogies and interiors.......This is far more commercial than buying and building whitemetal bogies and wheels or assembling seat & table interiors.

• Like 1

The last pairof new gresley bogies I got was from Hornby Spares/Abbigails, but that was some time ago.

With regard to the B1, I will wait and see when and if the price war starts. I will flog the old Bachmann LNER B1 Roedeer off, though I only paid about GBP40 or just under, A$60 for it. The new Hornby one looks good.

Mark in OZ

Edited by Markeg

We've been here before with the Std4. Both seem to be available with larger than normal discounts, From the signal box...as long as I've been working my calculator right :D ... with modern up to date models Bachmann ones seems to be around 20% discount, but the Std4 is 30%, with Hornby its around 23% for a normal one, and a whopping 38% for the Std4! So I imagine from that that both Bachy and Hornby making it has done neither any favours.....

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Just made my mind up on which I'll be getting. Relative cost is still a factor, but the Bachmann B1 has metal wheels, painted, and the Hornby B1 continues the plastic inserts plus tyres malarky. I can't stand the plastic wheel inserts in terms of their colour (extremely picky perhaps!) and only put it up with it because I have to on the Hornby A3.

It'll be interesting to see if these two products do continue the 4MT bargain bin trend we have been seeing over the last year...

Guest Belgian

For longer term maintenance, you need to think anout sparing for yourself. With a common loco like the B1, I will buy at least one loco as the 'break for spares' unit. Since Bach and Hornby have decided to compete, this will hopefully result in less popular versions offered at a good discount: there's the spares... (This does mean standardising on one or the other of course. Unless the Hornby is in some way mid-blowingly good, it's gonna be the cheaper Bachmann that gets the nod from me.)

You'll only have to wait for around 12 months after Hornby release their version to buy one at approximately half price, judging from recent experience of "Schools", BR4s, 28xxs, the latest N15, etc. look for them in Argos "sales", Amazon or even the box-shifters, usually in mid summer.

I suspect that everyone is correct about the availability of stand alone chassis for the B1 (and V2 and A4) is correct. I still hope you are wrong. I have about 6 B1's and 2 V2's all detailed and weathered. I would gradually replace all these chassis over time if they become available. I very much doubt if I will replace my current stock until it dies on me. Finances are limited and I can think of better places to put my hard earned pension, So no new sales from me. I suspect I am not alone.

Guest Max Stafford

It's interesting the different views we're taking on this, all quite valid. To my view, both models are complimentary. I'm one of those who have been put off purchasing B1s and V2s before now on account of the less than impressive running gear. I suspected Bachmann would ultimately re-visit both types and kept my powder dry accordingly. 'Going back' to The Waverley Route in modelling terms has caused me significant reflection on my position as these are cornerstone classes for that route in the BR era. Cost is clearly a factor, but although I will undeniably have to save lots and sell surplus to pay for the locos, cost is not a factor in my choice of one over the other. I consider both to be of use. In any case, I too suspect that considerable discounting is a strong possibility next year.

Dave.

• Like 1

I remember reading somewhere that Bachmann have said they will not be making the chassis available as a seperate item.

So that means sell off old and replace with new or buy the new one and attempt to fix to old bodies.

Mark in Oz