Hornby B1

Guest Tom F

Guest Tom F

A black one, BR livery with electric lights (non working though) please!

My plans too with mine when it arrives! :D

I had standardised on the Bachmann one for my layout, but at this price I've taken a punt on the Hornby one just to see if I like it within the context of my layout. Also chucked a cheapy weathered 8F into the cart ;).

<p>

My plans too with mine when it arrives! :D

Mine will stay without electric lighting, unless I find a suitable one so fitted.At that price Tom, it would have been the height of rudeness to have passed the opportunity up!

Edited by Tim

I had a bit of a problem with mine. I bought 1040 when it was offered at £69.50 as I was always going to repaint and renumber anyway so it didn't matter which one I started from. When running it in, the valve gear jammed solid. On examination the connecting rod on the rhs was almost straight and the leading crankpin was jamming down on top of it as the loco came out of a left hand bend. The other side rod was formed in an arc, which is what I have done with the offending rod and appears to have cleared the problem.

I didn't want to send it back as (then) I didn't think they'd repeat the offer and I want the loco, not my money back. I also haven't found any Internet evidence that anyone else has had the same issue. But here it is for anyone else who might and this is how I fixed it.

Hope this is a sign that a green LNER B1 will be on its way!

Hope this is not a sign of Hornby having cash flow problems or the B1 not being a good seller.

It does seem rather a little odd to me the amount of relatively new stuff that they appear to be "dumping" of late.

Bernard

Bernard, it merely means the great British modeller can carry on with one of his greatest skills: getting something for almost nothing.

I'll be rewheeling mine to P4. Might even risk some Exactoscale wheels *swoons from shock at price*

Edited by Horsetan

Guest 40-something

Hope this is not a sign of Hornby having cash flow problems or the B1 not being a good seller.

It does seem rather a little odd to me the amount of relatively new stuff that they appear to be "dumping" of late.

Bernard

It could just be that Rails are clearing shelf space for new products, happens regularly with other shops. When I was at the Perth exhibition last month BR livery B1's were being snapped up almost instantly, despite some hefty prices.

The question is whether the GBM wants to pay out a three-figure sum for a really good rendition when the traditional mindset is still used to two figures. As this exercise has demonstrated, the Hornby B1 may be selling fine at the intended price level, but drop it to 70 quid and it sells out faster than the latest i-Can'tbelieveit'sanotherbloodyApple.

Would it be right to say that the trend is now towards set batch quantities "and that's yer lot"?

• Like 1

"Sir Harold's eyes bored into Chardinas' like the Higgs Boson on jalapenos, she was powerless to resist."

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 2

This sounds suspiciously like a quote from Rogers profannisaurus to me.....

He heh.

Cheers.

Sean.

Top marks for a great cultural spot mate!

There's nowt original about my railway modelling, our kid. Just a range of recycled rehashes and tweaking of paths where others have trod.

• Like 1

Well I received my "Sir Harold" today and I'm quite impressed. Still prefer the underpinnings of the retooled Bachmann attempt (the driving wheels in particular look a lot heavier than the Hornby one) but the overall finesse of detail, plus a chassis that seems to run almost as well as Bachmann's means I'm chuffed. Had the pricing always been this way I would of standardised on the Hornby one probably.

...Had the pricing always been this way I would of have standardised on the Hornby one...

This demonstrates my point about the GBM's traditional mindset still being in two-figure territory.

Edited by Horsetan