James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

• RMweb Gold

Good to see another model of 817, mine is still have finished after finding my vi trains model has the wrong grey (after respraying the cabsides in the right shade!)  One day i might even finish it as a memory of my time studying Engineering! 

If you are interested I have found a complete Motorail etch (+ GUV doner and Bachmann B4 bogies), along with one additional side.  The other side / ends must be somewhere, and i will have another look over Easter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Top work mate, now whens the Didcot layout coming out of hiding?

I second that it's a layout I'd like to have go at myself but in N so in OO your layout is going to be huge! Assuming your doing the full works of yard, railway society, station, avoiders and power station Or will there be a bit of compression and compromise?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good to see another model of 817, mine is still have finished after finding my vi trains model has the wrong grey (after respraying the cabsides in the right shade!)  One day i might even finish it as a memory of my time studying Engineering! 

If you are interested I have found a complete Motorail etch (+ GUV doner and Bachmann B4 bogies), along with one additional side.  The other side / ends must be somewhere, and i will have another look over Easter.

Thanks Rich! The Motorail parts would be great if you manage to dig them out please! 47817 does seem a popular one, my only connection to the loco is the usual spotting one rather than the Imech link as well!

I second that it's a layout I'd like to have go at myself but in N so in OO your layout is going to be huge! Assuming your doing the full works of yard, railway society, station, avoiders and power station Or will there be a bit of compression and compromise?

Haha it would be a monster of a project to do the whole thing! Something I have been thinking of almost since I started modelling but would like to work towards when finances and space permit! Not at all on the scale of say, 'Calcutta Sidings' but it'd be a reasonably lengthy layout with only compression where it's not too noticeable!

Based on this, I'm planning two projects - a smaller starter "back of the car"-type layout with choice cuts of the very Western end of the station platforms & yard itself, including the line up to Oxford through the yard. Then potentially at a later date, these boards plug-in to a larger "Full Monty, need-a-van"-type layout which would include the station in its entirety, plus loco stabling sidings and of course the high speed GWML lines.

I've scoped the Power Station out of my vision to merely a backdrop as for me, my fondest memories are all about standing on the hallowed Platform 5/6 and coal trains would just arrive in the far distance, almost off-scene! The Yard may be part of the fiddle yard entry to the layout, with some clever disguising, just modelling the most visible parts closest to the station. That classic GWS water tower will get a good look in, thought the rest of the GWS can be modelled with a few background scenic sidings and occasional steam poop!

The Oxford avoiding line will snake inwards at an angle and make for an interesting track plan, but should be do-able. The station buildings would appear at the front of the layout (to the viewer) and in the foreground, who could resist a cheeky model of the sadly-closed Julians Ford dealership with some period Fords!

What's your take on it, can you fit the entire triangle into N gauge? I'd be very interested to see yours when you get round to it, such a great place crying out to be modelled more!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That sounds like a mighty fine plan and even the selected areas sound like they work nicely and you don't lose the sense of atmosphere. I've always considered it an ideal location as the variety of traffic is just right, although the period of modelling for me would be early 90s, Working in the TVSC I see didcot in its current state as it is, I remember intercity 47s racing by on the avoiders when I'd gone on a trip to the railway society with my dad, so very different to the boring 319s I was used to seeing. The advantage of Didcot is it has almost everything that runs on the western region feature on it (depending on time period) I have a rake of Yeoman wagons and a rake of merry go rounds and apart from when they started delivering coal from avonmouth didcot was only place those type of trains met, thus its appeal.

Although I've thought about it I am yet to set about a full design I have always considered my current space of 10ft by 8ft too small for such a layout, although if I where to do it I would like to have the power station but if size was the factor it would be the first to go. Other considerations would be to join the GWML and OXford line up through the fiddle yard to make it essential one big return loop.

• Like 1

Absolutely fantastic stuff James.  You model the era I grew up myself in as well. Although from Scotland, I recall holidays to Bournemouth which of course meant a class 86 hauled Virgin set as far as either Preston or Birmingham. From then it was the class 47's to the south coast.

I remember Didcot being packed of locos as it was mainly a Saturday travel. I'll look forward to seeing the rest of your grand plans pan out. Keep up the great work and keep posting....inspirational stuff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That sounds like a mighty fine plan and even the selected areas sound like they work nicely and you don't lose the sense of atmosphere. I've always considered it an ideal location as the variety of traffic is just right, although the period of modelling for me would be early 90s, Working in the TVSC I see didcot in its current state as it is, I remember intercity 47s racing by on the avoiders when I'd gone on a trip to the railway society with my dad, so very different to the boring 319s I was used to seeing. The advantage of Didcot is it has almost everything that runs on the western region feature on it (depending on time period) I have a rake of Yeoman wagons and a rake of merry go rounds and apart from when they started delivering coal from avonmouth didcot was only place those type of trains met, thus its appeal.

Although I've thought about it I am yet to set about a full design I have always considered my current space of 10ft by 8ft too small for such a layout, although if I where to do it I would like to have the power station but if size was the factor it would be the first to go. Other considerations would be to join the GWML and OXford line up through the fiddle yard to make it essential one big return loop.

Nice, I like your idea around the Oxford line possibly joining the GWML via the fiddle yard, something I've also looked at would be to somehow build in the curve away of the Oxford line and disappearing through a back scene 'behind the GWS', but then have an invisible reverse curve bringing the line back parallel with the GWML tracks, so you could try to fit in an conventional roundy-roundy rectangle type board formation! Or the crazy wildcard idea would be to go completely wild and have a triangular exhibition layout!

I'm with you on the boring 319s! Being Sussex born and bred and with wall-to-wall Slam Doors, what attracted me to Didcot was having the rest of the family living there and going to the station to see "real trains" for the very first time! I remember first seeing a real Class 37 and my amazement that they weren't just something in the Hornby catalogue! 

• RMweb Premium

What a nice job you have made of artemis in the fm blue pullman livery i saw in a previous post may i ask how did you create the white pipework above the fuel tanks.

Thanks very much!

post-6896-0-26900700-1458156684.jpg

This was a blast from the past, it is just over 10 years ago I painted this one up in Jan 2006! I'd heard gossip that Fragonset were painting the two locos so did some advance work and had this finished the very week after the real thing was outshopped in clean blue! The white pipework was nicked from a Bachmann Class 57, and to this day I still have a 'Scott Tracey' minus it's pipework haha!

My second model of 47712 in the earlier black Fragonset livery on the Bachmann model then nicked the same '57s' pipework for a new life on Loftus Road!

If you don't fancy robbing a '57' you can try doing what I'd tried above for my recent Virgin 47702 by using four bits of .45mm handrail wire and then using small glue dollops to join the wires - or I think someone like A1 Models also used to do an etch, from memory, but this is going back a while though!

Cheers,

James

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 4

Hi James,

Nice to see the Virgin quartet. Superb job on them they look very nice. I use to see some of the virgin fleet at Darlington station back around 2001 when I lived in Stockton. They will look great on the various workings of the time,

All the best

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Hot on the heels of last week's quartet, here we have the next loco to join the fleet - 47722 'The Queen Mother' in tatty RES livery.

25639628780_de3bae6d42_b.jpg47722 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Based on Bachmann's 2013 model, it was renumbered, weathered and features a few subtle detail changes to accurately replicate 47722.

25311498043_e8b200b157_b.jpg47722 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Starting with the roof details, 47722 has the round boiler port arrangement, using etches from Shawplan and a dollop of plasticard. Bachmann's model features some moulded seams around the cab roof vents and cantrail curve which were gradually removed, including the one still visible in the pic above.

25307522044_66594e9c54_b.jpg47722 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Nameplates and transfers came from Fox, before weathering, varnishing and Girls Aloud to complete. 

25307496934_e2b06e6559_b.jpg47722 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

And here we go! 47722 is modelled as per my memory of seeing it in June 2000, just before repainting into Virgin livery. This was another seen at Didcot at the head of a Virgin Cross Country Mk2 set, and again fell into the category of "Wow, I'd love to model that one day!". It's only taken me a mere 16 years...!

25311472883_c46d10e244_b.jpg47722 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The loco served for a few more years, eventually succumbing to the cutter's torch in 2007, so it's nice to recreate it in miniature at least! 

25914275066_2abfd225a9_b.jpg47722 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

47722 will see service on Loftus Road in due course - being an EWS loco it's more versatile than last week's pure Virgin locos, so it could also turn up on any number of freights - keep your eyes peeled at our next show! 

25311450503_612a19b1e1_b.jpg47722 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

There's lots more fun items in the pipeline, a few more of my favourite wagons, and perhaps some more retro locos on the way! ;)

Cheers,

James

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Hey all,

Im new to RMWeb and this feed caught my eye. I did realise that when you did the fag packet hst you mentioned the possibility of another one. Will you be doing another hit project and if so in what livery.

Regards, Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks, I've got quite a few HSTs sitting in boxes but the next HST project I'll tackle will be the original Great Western Trains 'Merlin' green & ivory livery - I'll be painting up some new Hornby power cars to match the old Hornby Mk3s in the same colours, and give the coaches a big refresh at the same time! 

In the long term I've also got the FGW 2001 Barbie set, a Midland Mainline one and an Intercity/Virgin XC combo all sitting around to detail, but priorities..!

Cheers,

James

• Like 2

This thread is significantly damaging my birthday bank balance, seen as theres a nice variety of wanted spoons on hattons for just over £70

The temptation....

Anyway, good work on 722, I think I even recorded that one on Crewe DMD in the early '00s!

• Like 1

Great work on 47722 there, really great modelling once again, and great to hear more HST's are on the way, looking forward to seeing the merlin and barbie ones. Your recent nostalgia trip on modelling really has me wondering what do do with my layout because i really want a fag packet set now but have a virgin rake. Can you get transfers for the coaches do you know?

Cheers, 

Ben

• RMweb Premium

Picture the scene, I'm standing on the bank at Toton, collecting prototype photos.

I spot this beaut and who do I think of ???

Yep, you Mr M.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

All the best for 2016. May it be a very grubby year.

Back in January, Nick (rs4) kindly shared an interesting shot of OCA 112230 at Toton, and not being one to turn down a fun challenge, below I present my miniature rendition..!

26003031401_356ef9c9f3_b.jpgOCA 112230 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Based on the Bachmann model, with custom decals and a big dollop of grime! I tend to model wagons in pairs for efficiency (e.g. paint drying times) so sharing the limelight is OBA 110118 - the wagon fitted with aluminium doors for a trial by EWS in the late 1990s. 

25976837782_d4a4f1a960_b.jpgOBA 110118 & OCA 112230 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The story starts with the basic wagons being unboxed and brutally attacked, the OBA had upfront filling & sanding work to smooth out the old wooden planking - those new sides had much finer grooves! 

26043427326_0521972db6_b.jpgOBA & OCA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Once I'd smoothed down the sides, the OBA was painted in a silver-white, together with EWS maroon ends and solebar -

25466756513_eb2c91aa0c_b.jpgOBA 110118 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Meanwhile, the fun was just starting on the OCA! 112230 inexplicably features a 50mph speed limit sign, sideways on the wagon door - certainly a rarity amongst the wagons I've modelled to date haha! I made this up in CorelDraw and printed onto photo paper, and used a dark grey background. Some other panels on the wagon appear to still be in a faded Mainline blue also.

25464587184_cff4da92f1_b.jpgOCA 112230 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Coats of Humbrols 62 and 186 were applied in a paint-on/wipe-off style to give a rusty streaky appearance, followed by dry brushing with several light grey shades to simulate some of the fading the prototype shows. 

25976820462_eb4d857150_b.jpgOCA 112230 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Cuts and scars were made in the bodyside with a scalpel, filled in with the layers of browns and top coatings of darker rust shades, while wonkily-applied Fox transfers electrification flashes and data panels finished off the look!

26069339795_372b2dcde5_b.jpgOCA 112230 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

OBA 110118 had the new aluminium doors fitted in the late 1990s and saw some service on concrete block traffic between Acton and Merehead, so perhaps with modellers licence it could've gone through our Loftus Road! In later life, the doors were painted into EWS maroon and the wagon famously dumped at Toton with a spare Class 67 cab on top!

25796486730_6a7eeb3fb9_b.jpgOBA 110118 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The aluminium-door OBA has been on the radar for a while but it got to a point where I had just one unmolested Bachmann OBA left, and then Nick's OCA inspiration came up and all fell into place for the next wagon duo! 

25466733803_68e8574146_b.jpgOCA 112230 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

It's a really odd livery on the OCA and I'm sure it will raise a few eyebrows on Worthing MRC's Loftus Road at the next show for those who haven't read this RMWeb thread! ("that's completely unprototypical!")

25464571934_1dd7435791_b.jpgOCA 112230 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

With these two wagons now ready for action, attention shifts to the next project - it's Easter Day and with almost constant bouts of rain it seems rude not to just tuck into some Easter eggs and tackle the next project - an exceedingly retro diesel locomotive! 

Cheers,

James

• Like 12