James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

Hi James,

Superb work on the wagons they look great. I really like you recent class 47s though the Virgin Liv came out after I left the UK. The RES one certainly brought back memories. I remember seeing a few Parcels class 47s on the Waterloo - Exeter trains before the 159s took over.

Something I did notice with your class 47s is you haven't fitted what I think are part of the brake gear that come in the little bag of extras. I have posted a pic of them fitted to one of my Duffs. One goes on each corner of the bogie.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-34181800-1459153367_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-48644200-1459153433_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the kind comments guys!

Something I did notice with your class 47s is you haven't fitted what I think are part of the brake gear that come in the little bag of extras. I have posted a pic of them fitted to one of my Duffs. One goes on each corner of the bogie.

Haha Peter I've been rumbled!! I think I had trouble fitting these back a few years ago on my old green 47004, couldn't work out which way round they went or something silly so since then I've just routinely discarded these bits without thinking! However I might be tempted to have another look!

Cheers,

James

Hi James,

When I saw the photo of the OCA, I was tempted to model it but after seeing your superb rendition in model form there's no way I'm going to attempt it as the one you've done is brilliant. Those 47 brake parts took me ages to work out, trying to find clean bogies close up of the real thing eventually solved which way round they went.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks for all the kind comments guys!

Haha Peter I've been rumbled!! I think I had trouble fitting these back a few years ago on my old green 47004, couldn't work out which way round they went or something silly so since then I've just routinely discarded these bits without thinking! However I might be tempted to have another look!

Cheers,

James

No worries James,

I am not sure why Bachmann made them a separate part to start with but I do think fitting them improves to look of the bogie.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi James, not sure your choice of base colour is right! Sorry!

March 2008 Track relaying in Thames Ditton

attachicon.gifoca001.jpg

Thanks for the shot Jon, looks really red under there doesn't it!

I'm modelling from Nick's pic which seems to have a definite tinge of blue in the 3rd panel from right, and the left end, though the rest of the wagon appears dark grey to my eyes but from your pic, do you reckon that it had a Railfreight red backing or even EWS base?

This is the trouble when you model specific wagons as opposed to generic jobbies haha!

Cheers,

James

rs4, on 03 Jan 2016 - 10:37, said:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Just thought I'd bring the original picture up for a comparison to see the differences over the years.

Edit -I was hoping the image would appear rather than a link.. (it does work if you click on it)

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 1

Whatever the answer is, there is certainly 8 years of weathering and aging to take account of.

Reds are particularly susceptible to fade and I do wonder whether you are seeing what is beneath the EWS maroon

Ok, so who's gonna offer up the next challenge to James ? Gotta keep the poor bloke busy after all ?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Haha these are all good points! Judging by the similar markings, I don't think the wagon has seen paint in the intervening 8 years but just a case of weathering/fading and variable lighting conditions playing a part. Playing my ultimate sympathy card, I should point out I'm also colour-blind haha! (my mates say that explains the choice of car colours!)

Ironically the donor wagon was in EWS red as well, oh dear! I've got a stack of wagons still to do so think it'll stay as it is though, live and learn!!

Cheers,

James

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Amongst other projects, I've been playing around with a couple more SPA wagons for the ever-lengthening ballast train for Worthing MRC's Loftus Road layout!

26076068330_5c4c1b6962_b.jpgSPA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Joining the fleet today is 'Dutch' SPA 460078 and EWS-liveried 460582, featuring some distinctive markings! 

26256559472_384517d820_b.jpgSPA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The starting point was FTG Models' SPA, released back in 2014 in the bright red Railfreight livery. The first action was to remove all branding with a scalpel and start painting the base colours - faded BR grey & yellow, and standard EWS shades. 

26076075870_0aa8e43ef5_b.jpgSPA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Branding was created in CorelDraw, along with an 'EWS' logo nabbed from the Fox Transfers 'Turbot' pack. Lana Del Rey's Honeymoon album is recommended listening for ex-steel ballast wagon projects.

After a fair bit of painting with various browns, the wagons started to come together - 

25744067414_84fb9ca63d_b.jpgSPA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The Dutch SPA had heavy rust streaking, replicated with light brown washes on the bodyside, followed by specific streaking picked out with progressively darker browns. The source of the rust has the darkest brown shades, I even took a trip to Hobbycraft to buy some new Humbrols even darker than my previous favourite brown, No.113! 

25744060944_3a6ca66f5b_b.jpgSPA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

As with many steel-sided wagons, there are interesting gashes in the bodyside panelling, a scalpel groove is great for letting paint collect during the weathering stage, with darker shades added later in the project.

25746163163_a0937b6c36_b.jpgSPA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The second wagon in the duo is in full EWS livery, and the standout feature being the large 'BLOCKS' lettering painted on both the sides and ends. 

25746149133_84a2f261cc_b.jpgSPA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Phoenix Precision EWS red & gold were used, followed by lashings of Humbrols 119 (sandy brown), 186 (rusty brown), 113 (dark brown) and my new No. 251 - super dark brown!

26322962476_fd8b938935_b.jpgSPA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Interiors were weathered with a similar selection of browns, and this will vary on the wagon and loads carried. Based on photos of similar SPA's, I'm later going to add a varied load of ballast remnants and the odd broken wooden beam and engineering possession debris!

26322959386_9cdaced6f8_b.jpgSPA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Underframes were painted as per my usual method of mottling on dark browns and greys, while finishing touches were the Colin Craig 9.5mm brake discs for the smaller wheels on these wagons vs the Bachmann OBA/OCA fleet.

26282688181_a16a08b50d_b.jpgSPA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I'm glad to be adding these two SPAs to the fleet, of the seven I've bought, only 3 more remain untouched, their turn will come very soon!

26256538282_2ab9a60cab_b.jpgSPA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Now it's back to focussing on a diesel project and scenic detailing on Loftus Road - our next show at Portsmouth is coming up on May 14th, not long now!

• Like 5

Hi James,

Another nicely weathered pair there. 

I don't want to be picky but I cant help but be drawn to those leaf springs which appear to have been brought out by the weathering. In my opinion these need to be replaced, but that's just me of course.

again, another nice job.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Hi James,

Another nicely weathered pair there. 

I don't want to be picky but I cant help but be drawn to those leaf springs which appear to have been brought out by the weathering. In my opinion these need to be replaced, but that's just me of course.

again, another nice job.

Cheers

Thanks Wayne!

I was thinking the springs look rather dodgy, does someone sell just the right type of leaf spring casting as a stick-on replacement by chance? Not looking to build new W-irons or anything but if there's something easier than scratch building then that would be ideal!

Cheers,

James

Hi James,

I know Skits do Brunninghaus springs with or without w-iron but not sure if they will fit the FTG Models SPAs as I have neither. I stuck with Cambrian for my SPA and other LWB opens as I already had the kits in before the FTG one was announced (same goes for OBA and OCA).

Even the Cambrian ones benefit from improvement and for mine I've fitted Bill Bedford sprung w-irons and modified Cambrian axlebox and leaf springs.

Sorry I cant be more help, as I said I don't have any FTG ones.

Cheers 

• RMweb Premium

Hi James,

I know Skits do Brunninghaus springs with or without w-iron but not sure if they will fit the FTG Models SPAs as I have neither. I stuck with Cambrian for my SPA and other LWB opens as I already had the kits in before the FTG one was announced (same goes for OBA and OCA).

Even the Cambrian ones benefit from improvement and for mine I've fitted Bill Bedford sprung w-irons and modified Cambrian axlebox and leaf springs.

Sorry I cant be more help, as I said I don't have any FTG ones.

Cheers 

Fair one, cheers Wayne! I think George was taking a temporary break from S-Kits when we last spoke so I might have a go at resin casting a copy from a suitable donor wagon of some sort and modifying to fit, will see how it goes!! 

Fair one, cheers Wayne! I think George was taking a temporary break from S-Kits when we last spoke so I might have a go at resin casting a copy from a suitable donor wagon of some sort and modifying to fit, will see how it goes!! 

Yes I had an email from George some time ago following an enquiry I made regarding an order I placed. It is difficult to run a business when you also have a full time job so I totally understand, we'll just have to be patient with him.

If you do have a go at casting I hope you'll share it with us.

On another note, they're a bit 'new' for me but it would be interesting to see a Doorand conversion done from a POA. Maybe one to mix in with all those MHAs?

Cheers

• Like 1