James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

Hi James,

Nice job on those two, the weathering looks typical of the HAAs before replacement by HTAs.

One little thing though and sorry if it sounds a little too picky, but your coal looks a little too lumpy for power station coal which is usually finer in appearance. When I did my rake I tried to ground the coal down as much as I could and use mostly the dust.

Cheers,

• RMweb Premium

Hi James,

Nice job on those two, the weathering looks typical of the HAAs before replacement by HTAs.

One little thing though and sorry if it sounds a little too picky, but your coal looks a little too lumpy for power station coal which is usually finer in appearance. When I did my rake I tried to ground the coal down as much as I could and use mostly the dust.

Cheers,

Thanks Wayne, this is good feedback!

I've got a bowl of coal and was pinching off the top dust and sprinkling, so some larger bits got in my fingers too, I was feeling too lazy to sieve it properly, but that could solve the consistency issue!

Hope you all had a good Christmas! 

But enough of that, back to the meat! The HAA coal wagons were utilising the cheap ones bought from Amazon earlier this year for about £8 each, the only trouble being they were covered in graffiti! 

23395135794_44d74f520a_b.jpgHAA wagon WIP 1 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

It looks as if quite a few First Capital Connect (sorry I mean Thameslink) 319's have also got covered with graffiti during the Christmas Break. Maybe they can join your 377.

Edited by jonathan452
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's very nice looking Focus Rs,might have to see if my local dealers has one in now... :locomotive:

There's this Nitrous Blue production demonstrator in LHD that's touring UK dealers at the moment, orders are being taken with March delivery at the earliest, should be interesting!

I love the pics of your Hornby MHA's, they look fantastic. I'm currently building up a collection of those along with Bachmann MFA+MEA's and while some are factory weathered some are too new and shiny looking.  Whilst I wouldn't try to replicate the level of detail you have I would like to give them a more used appearance, particularly the insides. I wondered if there was a relatively simple way to achieve a look similar to what you have that you could suggest?  

Keep up the good work. 

• RMweb Premium

I love the pics of your Hornby MHA's, they look fantastic. I'm currently building up a collection of those along with Bachmann MFA+MEA's and while some are factory weathered some are too new and shiny looking.  Whilst I wouldn't try to replicate the level of detail you have I would like to give them a more used appearance, particularly the insides. I wondered if there was a relatively simple way to achieve a look similar to what you have that you could suggest?  

Keep up the good work. 

Thanks, I'd recommend just building up a few simple shades on the insides of the wagons, and looking at pics of the real thing to stain them accordingly! Most of the MHAs I've seen have quite a sandy/earthy brown shade inside, so have painted them with Humbrol 119 as a base colour, which is quite sandy brown. Then there are darker stains and rain marks, dust marks etc which you can pick out as streaks and patches using darker or lighter shades built up over the top. Soon what is a uniform shade of Humbrol 119 is transformed into something a lot more realistic!

If you are a Humbrol fan, the colours 119, 113, 62, 186, 1, 32 and bonus ball 250 come in handy! :)

I'd reckon the main part is observation of the real thing using Flickr photos etc, and playing around with a few paints on a test wagon to see how you get on - you can't really go wrong and at the end of the day, anything is better than the shiny EWS red interior that Hornby have painted those 'Coalfish'!

Cheers,

James

• Like 3

Picture the scene, I'm standing on the bank at Toton, collecting prototype photos.

I spot this beaut and who do I think of ???

Yep, you Mr M.

post-1261-0-91861400-1451813804.jpeg

All the best for 2016. May it be a very grubby year.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Picture the scene, I'm standing on the bank at Toton, collecting prototype photos.

I spot this beaut and who do I think of ???

Yep, you Mr M.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

All the best for 2016. May it be a very grubby year.

Oh yes I do like that one Nick! OCA 112230, looks like it was once maybe a Mainline blue and loving the sideways '50' part on that too! 

Definitely on my 'to do' list for 2016 now! I also have another eight 'OBA's sitting around in boxes, so if you see any particularly interesting ones...!

Wishing you a Grubby New Year yourself haha! :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Saw this interesting wagon on Flickr DB Schenker Coal Wagon HTA 317082 love the full body graphiti https://flic.kr/p/CsAE6r

I pressed "like" but I do not condone graffiti.

Full body graffiti on wagons isn't common - most wagon graffiti is usually at lower levels on the body because the scrotes can only reach so high from track level.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

James.

It looks like you've fitted new brake leavers on the HAAs. If so. Who's did you use, please?

Great work as usual.

Dave

Thanks Dave! These are the original brake levers from the "new" (post-2003) Hornby HAA, and just a bit of weathering! :)

I had a choice between using the old or new Hornby HAAs, but noticed that since they both have major hopper body errors, it worked out cheaper to obtain new-style ones for an average of £10 each, rather than go for the cheaper one and then spend out on new wheels and etched brass components to bring the underframe up to the same level!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but where did you get the Southern paints?

No worries, the Southern paint shades all come from Phoenix's range, they do the whole selection! What sort of unit are you planning to splosh up in Southern? I keep meaning to break out the greens to turn the Hornby VEP into No. 3514 but that's a project for another day! :)

• Like 1

No worries, the Southern paint shades all come from Phoenix's range, they do the whole selection! What sort of unit are you planning to splosh up in Southern? I keep meaning to break out the greens to turn the Hornby VEP into No. 3514 but that's a project for another day! :)

Actually, it's a small N gauge project (I work for Southern and managed to get hold of a 171 second hand in Paignton of all places, and have the 73 on order) so this is actually to paint up the station furniture in appropriate colours.

I want/need some 377s (OO would be great but I'd manage with N) but I don't have anywhere near your level of skill to make one like you have).  Still hoping that one of the mainstream manufacturers comes up with some rtr ones in due course but they seem adverse to wanting to make things I need.

So I've found

P323 Dark Olive green

P324 Malachite Green

P325 Ivory

P326 Traffic White

Which one is the light green shade?  The Phoenix site isn't terribly helpful...

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So I've found

P323 Dark Olive green

P324 Malachite Green

P325 Ivory

P326 Traffic White

Which one is the light green shade?  The Phoenix site isn't terribly helpful...

Nice, sounds like a fun project!

With the above shades, it's the Malachite Green that is the bright green circles over the vehicle ends/cabs etc, Ivory for the lower green strip below waist height and then the Olive for the darker doors etc! As a tip, the Traffic White I originally sprayed looked a bit yellowy and dull, so substituted for Humbrol 34 Matt White and it gave a much brighter appearance!

Hope this helps!

James

• 2 weeks later...