James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

What a stunning result James - the amount of nerve and effort to take a pristine model (and such a finely tooled one) and deliberately turn it into something so grotty and grimy.... beautifully done. Would love to see some shots of it on a layout one day.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

More stunning work James, love the effects you've got, the BR Blue showing through in places and the nameplate scarring are just sublime! 

I'm trying to put some 'scratches' on a TOPE wagon and working from a photo, I'm using a 5/0 brush but I can't get them to look right yet, they just look like blobs of paint on top of the faded livery colour.

Do you thin the paint at all when you do work like that? 

• Friendly/supportive 2

Stunning just stunning... What a great model, great job James. Did you do anything to the windscreen surrounds at all please? The "seam" looks much much more subtle and realistic than the out of the box model I recently inspected.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the likes and kind comments, it's hard to beat a 'Tractor' for a fun project!

On 30/11/2023 at 00:02, ed1234 said:

What a stunning result James - the amount of nerve and effort to take a pristine model (and such a finely tooled one) and deliberately turn it into something so grotty and grimy.... beautifully done. Would love to see some shots of it on a layout one day.

Haha thanks very much, that first moment of removing the branding is the most daunting, as there's no turning back now and you've just got to plough on forward 🤣 It does get less with practice but certainly with something as new and fine as the Accurascale model the pressure is a lot higher than a battered old secondhand wreck..! 

I will have to get a pic of the loco on Worthing MRC's Loftus Road layout for sure! My own Didcot layout has still got a little while to go yet, but I am making it my 2024 resolution to get some track down and wired up, we'll have to come back in a year's time to see how far I got on that promise!

15 hours ago, sb67 said:

More stunning work James, love the effects you've got, the BR Blue showing through in places and the nameplate scarring are just sublime! 

I'm trying to put some 'scratches' on a TOPE wagon and working from a photo, I'm using a 5/0 brush but I can't get them to look right yet, they just look like blobs of paint on top of the faded livery colour.

Do you thin the paint at all when you do work like that? 

Thanks Steve, the Tope sounds like a juicy project to tuck into! Have you got a matt-finish surface to paint onto, as a starting point, and do the 5/0 brushes end in a precise pin-point? Both of those factors can have a big impact on the success of painting delicate scratches I must say! It's very much practice but you want enough paint on the brush to be able to apply it to a precise area, but not too much to 'blob' it as you say, I'd keep having a test on a spare bit of plastic until you're happy.

Also, though the first shade I paint on when modelling a scratch is generally 100% neat enamel paint and in the lightest colour, and sometimes you can gently feather the brush downwards (say even if its a horizontal scratch, you can jiggle the brush downward a bit along the line) to emphasise where rainwater may have made some rusty wash marks below the exposed rust spot, and then you can do a more precise line with the darker shades of brown over the top.

Sometimes it doesn't always look that good until you've added a few layers of colour on, but if you go with a fairly dry brush each time then it should go on ok enough! Another trick you can do is if it looks too 'harsh' a scratch over the light body, you can rub a dry cotton bud downward over the paint and it'll often give a nice little smudge which can be helpful too! It is hard to give any solid rules on this, often for me it is a case of playing around with the paints you've got and experimenting until happy, it doesn't always work out well the first time but it's a case of pressing on and trying different combinations of paint/brushes and seeing how you get on! I do look forward to seeing how you go with the Tope, great wagon!

9 hours ago, 37114 said:

Stunning just stunning... What a great model, great job James. Did you do anything to the windscreen surrounds at all please? The "seam" looks much much more subtle and realistic than the out of the box model I recently inspected.

Thanks ever so much! I gave the windscreen mouldings a solid push from behind at each end as I know they're a separate insert, and I wanted to make sure they were as flush as could possibly be, I think also the weathering layers might account for the variance too, as with any separately fitted part there'll be a tiny dark micro-seam, but this disappeared instantly under the paint-on/wipe-off layer - the paint dominates all..! 😂

Cheers,

James

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi James,

Just like to say a big thank you for some help you have unknowingly given to me.

I had to fit some 0.3mm wire radiator filler pipes on the front of my Class 08 build. Needed to bond them on after I had applied the wasp stripe decals, but was struggling to find a way of not getting glue all over the place and ruin it. 

I then remembered reading about your recent Class 47 projects and how you use gloss varnish to bond on the name plates, allowing fine adjustment before it goes off and sets. Genius. So that's what I did and am really pleased with it.

So, once again, thanks very much and I hope you don't mind me borrowing your techniques!

Best wishes

Dave

TT100 Diesels

PS - Isn't  RMWeb great !

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Rhysb said:

Am I bored of all your duff's........ in a word......... NO!

Love it

Rhys

Well that is lucky Rhys, as there are plenty more from where that came..! 😴😂

There is something awesome about a good ‘Duff’, but I know so many people who dislike them with a real passion! Whilst I adore 37s, 60s, even 66s, it’s the ‘47’s that I’ve come to love and model so many of, they were everywhere and there’s enough great prototypes to keep me busy for years to come!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

Great stuff James, they certainly were big lumps of metal! They way you've weathered them brings that out, making them look very real 👍

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Very nice tugs James . I’m hoping cavalex do a transrail one as I saw a lot in those colours and repainting the wrong grey on Hornby is in my can’t be arsed file !

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks so much for the nice comments guys, it is always great fun doing these projects and hope you don't mind my waffling writeups! 😂

On 08/01/2024 at 17:53, sb67 said:

Great stuff James, they certainly were big lumps of metal! They way you've weathered them brings that out, making them look very real 👍

Cheers Steve, though I've an idea of what I'm looking to create, I must admit I never know quite how something will turn out, some models prove to be more of a pig than others and a real struggle to match a photo, whilst others accidentally seem to go rather smoothly! 

11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Very nice tugs James . I’m hoping cavalex do a transrail one as I saw a lot in those colours and repainting the wrong grey on Hornby is in my can’t be arsed file !

Thanks Rob! Absolutely, it would be awesome to see some Transrail on the Cavalex ones! I will certainly be doing some homemade DIY rebrands on grey Cavalex 60s until one is released! It looks like the enamel thinners will take good care of removing the printing of the existing sector logos etc, if the previous Cavalex wagon releases are anything to go by. Then there's the small matter of their forthcoming 56s...not long now til the boat docks and the fun can soon start..!

Cheers

James 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 07/01/2024 at 23:28, James Makin said:

Make way for some prime movers!

53449486466_5aea118cf2_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

This week's new additions are a pair of classic grey Type 5s in the form of 60058 John Howard and 60063 James Murray in Transrail livery.

53449894890_f447314220_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The Didcot Power Station coal traffic brought in many a Class 60 to the Oxfordshire location, so it's only right that the fleet is bolstered to represent a very good smattering of these lovely old beasts modelled in what can now be considered their heyday.

53449797134_f2fab08516_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The start point can be seen here, but all is not what it looks like! One of the things that would get on my personal goat would be Hornby's inability to produce triple grey '60's in the right colour, so these two 'Bow Fell's need a repaint immediately - the lower rail grey is too yellow and the flint grey too dark!

53449606523_7b0e40ae34_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

All printing and colours needed to be removed, I scratched away the logos to get back down the layers to the base plastic, I know many would normally resort to the chemicals but in this case I used a lot of fine sandpaper and emery boards to file back down to bare plastic, ready for some luscious new paints to be applied. 

53449894870_6ab8699667_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

One of the redeeming features was the crisp Hornby yellow and black ends, so these were masked off whilst the rest of the bodyshells were given a coating in Halfords white primer, before a coat of Phoenix Rail Grey on the top.

This was then masked with Tamiya tape to cover off and with a custom shade of Flint Grey - using the Phoenix colour with a touch more white to lighten the shade. The roof was painted in a mid-grey fade shade, ready to help with the weathering stages later. 

Then the fun could begin!

53449606428_b6d5333cd7_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

To prepare the bodyshell for decals, each one was sprayed with Railmatch gloss varnish and left to dry before adding a fusion of Railtec and Fox decals to complete, and Shawplan etched nameplates.

The famous 90s 'Big T' roundels are from Railtec, and the beautiful one-piece items make installation an absolute breeze, whilst for the white 'Transrail' lettering, the Fox version is used as the font itself is slightly more 'square' and better matches these two particular locomotives, but the downside is that the quality of the decal simply can't match the modern production of Railtec. 

53449894810_959e2bd28c_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Armed with a two-decade-old soundtrack from Sugababes, the time-honoured paint-on & wipe-off weathering layers were added, and here is a little pictorial on how some of the subtle bodyside streaking can be created in the images below. 

53449486356_b40cf6bb7f_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Here we can see the Humbrol brown paint has been applied neat and then wiped away with kitchen towel, working vertically downward. The previous layer of Railmatch matt varnish (applied after the decals earlier) has clung onto the brown paint, despite most of the paint being wiped away. So the only way to remove this now is to use a bit of enamel thinners, applied on a cotton bud.

53449486296_07d7dcb9cf_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

By gently wiping downward with the cotton bud, most of the brown paint can then be removed, but being careful to focus on what's being left behind - if you want to create streaks of browns or greys, the paint is removed from around where these are desired, leaving the streak intact. It's worth experimenting with how much enamel thinners to add to your cotton bud, you can get different effects by using lots of thinners, or by working with an almost-dry cotton bud, so do mess around to the hearts content!

If you remove too much, you can always re-add the paint and build up again, eventually the result should start to look something like the below. 

53449606313_135d85c3f3_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

As with all weathering processes, the more layers that go on, the more effective the final result. The streaking can be tried with a range of browns and greys, building one on another to get a range of colours, matched to prototype photos and taking care to notice how and where each one weathers.

53449894660_eca69a7302_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Following the body weathering stages, a range of other techniques were employed, such as using fine brushes to touch in small marks and imperfections in the paintwork, whilst attention could also turn to the underframe too.

53449894615_a50859a047_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

53448558697_8d0e01b385_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

60058 John Howard was picked initially as it appeared at Didcot numerous times throughout its career, and is possibly one of the less well known members of the fleet, being a relatively mundane Transrail loco.

53449894605_1f44ccd4e1_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

New to BR's Trainload Coal sector in 1991, the locomotive was named in dedication to a longstanding British civil engineer who's businesses have contributed towards a number of significant bridge projects as well as the Channel Tunnel.

53449894595_1fd1354acd_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Although the attractive Coal sector 'black diamonds' had long since been covered with a 'Big T', the locomotive still managed to look relatively stylish - I was never a huge fan of Transrail livery back in the day, but as the years have passed, a certain level of nostalgia has led me to rediscovering a new love for them!

53449606118_3332c91f2d_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

60058 had a lot of streaky weathering when observed, and is the look recreated here. On the chassis, coats of Phoenix Brake Dust and Track Dirt were sprayed across with an airbrush, before coatings of Humbrol Metalcote Gunmetal to highlight raised detail on the bogies, and some dark grey to pick out fuel spillages and greasy marks on the buffers themselves. 

53449894565_ed57c4ed0a_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Although it can't easily be seen, the engine room interior equipment was weathered too, in the hope that if ever any light shines through the grilles one day whilst sitting on the layout, it won't look too shiny!

53448558587_7fcacb7399_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

60058 isn't the only new horse in town..!

53449486131_b320a3cea5_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Enter matching stablemate 60063!

53449796689_346cab582b_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Many may be familiar with 60063 James Murray, having been the subject of a model by Lima at the turn of the century, and one that a much younger self managed to get hold of back in the day, before deciding to repaint it into a dubiously-executed version of 60081! 

53449796659_faf43f8c04_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

60063 entered service with the Petroleum sector, sporting the pretty blue & yellow wavy sector flashes when new in 1991. The machine was named after philologist and lexicographer Sir James Murray, possibly best known for editing the Oxford English Dictionary for over 35 years until his death in 1915.

53449606038_4e522efa84_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The weathering on each machine was very similar, not clean, but also not filthy either! The compressor equipment on the underframe is dry brushed in a range of matt earth shades, following prototype photographs of how this area weathers slightly differently from the bogies and fuel tank area. 

53449606058_6779d30e61_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Still sporting a beautiful Cardiff Canton depot plaque at the 1998 period modelled here, the loco also unusually had a third electrification flash in the centre of its yellow panel at each end.

53449486046_21db1c3f67_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Meanwhile, up on the roof, the exhaust silencers were painted in a variety of rusty browns and greys, with a touch of talcum powder added to give a little texture on the smooth silencer. After this, the locomotives were dusted in shades of Phoenix Roof Dirt, Dirty Black and my usual mix of black & dark blue for the oily exhaust weathering. 

53449606013_7830a9e0fa_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

I also like the way on the 60s (and the 92s) that the upper yellow colouring on the cantrail gets more weathered than the corners and ends of the model - it's worth while paying extra attention to give it a gentle squirt whilst airbrushing!

53449605978_2ce04c3c8a_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

It's been a blast modelling these two old heavyweights, freezing them in their late 1998 timeframe, from an era when they were very much an integral part of the rail freight scene, but not for much longer.

53449485956_b5da150905_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Bringing the story up to date, as viewers will know, doesn't yield much hope! In 2003, 60058 would go on to lose its John Howard plates and exchange Transrail for a coat of EWS red, and would see service up until storage in 2008.

Meanwhile classmate 60063 would see one of it's James Murray plates go 'missing', and in 2012 saw a coat of the DB Schenker traffic red livery that it wore in mainline service until 2020. 

Alas, both mighty machines can now be found stored at Toton TMD, along with the majority of the class, awaiting their eventual fate - whether they'll be sold for re-use, sold as donors or be sold for scrap - only time will tell!

53449606008_650de5d701_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

At least those happier times have been 'pickled', and the locos are now ready for their new life on my Didcot Parkway - to be seen at the head of the numerous merry-go-round coal trains feeding the insatiable Didcot Power Station, wagons roll!

Lovely work again James…

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

An intercity 47 on a rake of Virgin mk2s was always a result travelling back and forth to Devon in 98/99.

now starting to think about weathering my intercity 47 rather than the more important job of building couplings this evening….

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1