James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

• RMweb Premium
On 01/11/2023 at 07:39, sb67 said:

They look superb James, understated but obviously used!

I'm struggling to get a certain effect on some VDA wagons, I think I'm colour blind in the sense that I look at a prototype photo and can't work out which colours to use. Do you have a list of your weathering colours at all?

What's also frustrating is I haven't got a decent paint stockist near me, only a limited Revell or Tamiya stock in Hobbycraft. That said I'm determined to get the hang of this! 

Also, is it dark colours first then light of the other way around? 

Thanks Steve!

It is definitely tricky trying to interpret the colours! It's taken gradual investment over many years but I've got the entire Humbrol enamel range and a lot of the Phoenix range, and this is one way of always having something to match up - the rest is down to a bit of mixing and just studying the colours, especially in the recesses where the dirt builds up. For example with the Railfreight Distribution 47s tackled a couple of posts above, I was looking at the colours of the dirt in the handrail recesses - asking myself, is that medium brown or a dark brown? Then this governs the shade I used for the washes for example. Also, what other colours can I see, and are there any stains over certain parts of a prototype that need to be added?

With the roofs on the VDA vans etc, I'll have these images on my phone and zoom in as much as possible to check the individual colours that make up the complex pattern of weathering, there's a lot of trial and error it has to be said, and only after having a go at adding the paints that I think match up, you can see if it's worked and if not, go for another. I've often found that the more shades you add to something, the deeper the weathered finish becomes, so if in doubt, add a bit more paint!

I often tend to go from light colours to dark colours but there's always exceptions where I'll go the other way too, I know it's not too useful but you sometimes get a feeling when it will work better the other way round! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 01/11/2023 at 08:35, The Fatadder said:

Very nice work there James, a particularly good job on the flush end conversion which from experience on 47815 is a swine of a job to get just right.   You are making me think after going to town on GWT 47s this year, in 2024 I should address the balance with some more Virgin once to accompany 47817...

Thanks Rich! I think you definitely need a few more Virgin 47s, there were so many nice ones out there tantalisingly waiting to be modelled! I hope to tackle most of them but it does take time getting through the fleet.

The flush fronts are always interesting ones to do, I've done quite a few now so it's getting more straightforward, I've always struggled on getting the marker lights right as they were most often recessed into the flush new panel, so the Shawplan etches don't look quite right for many examples when just overlaid on top, so I came up with another plan!

My technique for most of the models tackled in the last few years has been to fill out the flush end with the filler, cocktail sticks put through the marker light holes, which are then removed once dry. The filler is all sanded smooth, leaving two random 'naked' marker light holes, and then I would use the end of a slightly larger brass tube to create circular indentations around the marker light holes, pushing into the dry filler with some good pressure and gradually leaving fine circular recesses to make it look like the marker light is set into the front like most of the sealed-beam marker lights are, and then touch in with a bit of weathering at the final stage.

Some come out better than others but it's been reasonable enough so far! None of my stuff is intended as display-cabinet showpieces but just to be hard-working 'layout locos' but I've been surprised at how sometimes a cheap bodge works out better than expected!

Cheers,

James

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I used an approach gluing a plasticard plate in place, then carving / filing / sanding flush to the body before drilling out the holes.  I have the faintest line on along the lower edge that bugs me.   Getting the new marker lights correctly recessed remains a pain though.  My debate is whether or not I do the same on a 2022 Bachmann model to do 47816 as GWT's last survivor in Intercity.  (The only thing that stops me is that the loco is probably more use to me as a second loco for my Virgin fleet, with an Intercity 47 on Virgin mk3s always looking good)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, James Makin said:

Thanks Steve!

It is definitely tricky trying to interpret the colours! It's taken gradual investment over many years but I've got the entire Humbrol enamel range and a lot of the Phoenix range, and this is one way of always having something to match up - the rest is down to a bit of mixing and just studying the colours, especially in the recesses where the dirt builds up. For example with the Railfreight Distribution 47s tackled a couple of posts above, I was looking at the colours of the dirt in the handrail recesses - asking myself, is that medium brown or a dark brown? Then this governs the shade I used for the washes for example. Also, what other colours can I see, and are there any stains over certain parts of a prototype that need to be added?

With the roofs on the VDA vans etc, I'll have these images on my phone and zoom in as much as possible to check the individual colours that make up the complex pattern of weathering, there's a lot of trial and error it has to be said, and only after having a go at adding the paints that I think match up, you can see if it's worked and if not, go for another. I've often found that the more shades you add to something, the deeper the weathered finish becomes, so if in doubt, add a bit more paint!

I often tend to go from light colours to dark colours but there's always exceptions where I'll go the other way too, I know it's not too useful but you sometimes get a feeling when it will work better the other way round! 

Thanks James, I've bought some Games Workshop paints the other day after hearing and seeing some good things about them, strange names but some colours are good matches for liveries. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Getting the new marker lights correctly recessed remains a pain though. 

Two tubes, one slightly larger inserted into the hole in the cab front, the other slightly smaller (2mm?) inserted telescope-style into the first tube. The bigger one is set back slightly from the cab front to represent the recess or void around the marker light, and the second, which represents the surround to the marker light, is flush with the cab front.  

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Sounds a pretty straight forward approach, I had been thinking along similar lines 3d printing a replacement fitting that is designed to be fitting into an oversized hole in the front (along the lines of the part I have just designed for RES reinforced taillights so I can fix Bachmann's mistake on 47799.)

Whether or not I will go back and start modifying the Intercity loco is another question, it was only bought as an opportunity to inspect the new gen 47 model (at a very cheap second hand price with some easily fixed damage).  Nice as the extra finesse on the underframe is, the model doesnt remotely tempt me into a fleet wide upgrade (in the way that Bachmann's new 37 has).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Sounds a pretty straight forward approach, I had been thinking along similar lines 3d printing a replacement fitting that is designed to be fitting into an oversized hole in the front (along the lines of the part I have just designed for RES reinforced taillights so I can fix Bachmann's mistake on 47799.)

Whether or not I will go back and start modifying the Intercity loco is another question, it was only bought as an opportunity to inspect the new gen 47 model (at a very cheap second hand price with some easily fixed damage).  Nice as the extra finesse on the underframe is, the model doesnt remotely tempt me into a fleet wide upgrade (in the way that Bachmann's new 37 has).

That sounds like a very clever approach. The problem I always had was getting a good true round hole in the cab front once it has been filled. I couldn't find any filler that wouldn't turn to powder round the edges of the hole, even slightly, when drilling. I ended up doing what you did and putting a new plasticard plate across much of the front - that way, drilling was guaranteed to produce a round hole. 

My solution to the new 47 model is not to look at it. I think you get a fixed amount of a patience in a life for how many class 47 front ends you can modify to represent accident repairs and I've passed my tolerance. For what remains of my time here, I'll content myself with 37s.   

Edited by Daddyman
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Some lovely ideas on the Class 47 marker lights guys, I shall have to have a go at those on a future batch!

On 06/11/2023 at 16:40, rob D2 said:

The entire Humbrol enamel range , James ?..

Risky investment - I’d survey my empire and find half of them had dried up ;)

Haha yes Rob! Though a little bit by accident just amassing shades over the years! Ironically in my experience the newer Hornby-produced Humbrols aren't quite as good as the old ones, the older ones should be still great to use for years to come going by findings to date.

Some, more interesting people may choose to collect wine, my vice is paint! There's nothing like going down to the cellar and cracking open a fine '99-vintage tinlet of Slate Grey to sample on a beautiful summers evening and savouring the gorgeous enamelly bouquet..!  😄

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I wish I had looked after my old paint a lot better, alas the build up of paint around the top of the tins has resulted in a lot of my old paints drying up / building a solid layer across the top.   Though the newer ones are looked after a lot better Ive found them even worse for dying out thanks to the chemical changes.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

I wish I had looked after my old paint a lot better, alas the build up of paint around the top of the tins has resulted in a lot of my old paints drying up / building a solid layer across the top.   Though the newer ones are looked after a lot better Ive found them even worse for dying out thanks to the chemical changes.

I bought something from ebay describing itself as "1pc Mini spoon spices sugar salt kitchen silver colour tiny size beautiful detail" which has considerably cut down on the mess around the rim of paint tins. The exact item isn't there any more, but there are lots of similar spoons on ebay. 

• RMweb Premium

I have to make a good point of going around the tops of my open tins with a cotton bud before closing up, the size of the bud luckily is a nice fit for the rims on the 14ml tins! 

I ordered a batch of recent Hornby Humbrols and the contents inside were alarmingly mostly dry stodge! They don’t cover as well as they used to, so I find myself using more Phoenix paints even for general painting/weathering as they always do the job, even though they do smell a bit more and can dry out quicker if not careful! 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, James Makin said:

I have to make a good point of going around the tops of my open tins with a cotton bud before closing up, the size of the bud luckily is a nice fit for the rims on the 14ml tins! 

Ive started doing the same (along with wiping the underside of the lid clean).  Certainly has helped!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice job on those, I didnt realise that Bachmann hadnt tooled the RES tail lights on any locos, I just assumed they hadnt done it on 47799 because of the flush end.  10 mins in cad and a 3d print later and its an easy fix, though im not happy with the paint on the loco ive done so far so will probably print some more and redo.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Nice job on those, I didnt realise that Bachmann hadnt tooled the RES tail lights on any locos, I just assumed they hadnt done it on 47799 because of the flush end.  10 mins in cad and a 3d print later and its an easy fix, though im not happy with the paint on the loco ive done so far so will probably print some more and redo.

Cheers Rich! I really like your 3D print lights so it’s something I’d like to do on future batches of suitable locos for sure, I will have to tap you up there when the time comes! I’ve always loved a good bodge but now in the modern world of 3D printing it makes sense to use what’s out there!

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, 37403 said:

Really nice stuff.

How many duffs is this you've now done? I'm convinced that You're receiving royalties from Ed burkhart to recreate the entire EWS fleet 🤭

Thanks very much! Some royalties would be rather nice from modelling ‘Ed’s Wonderful System’! 

Good question on the volume of 47s tackled so far, I’ve had to consult my spreadsheet, eek, the answer is currently 61 Duffs! 

These are all the Bachmann first-gen models like the above, detailed, weathered and ready to roll, that’s discounting my random Heljan leftovers from the old Wells Green layout project, and within that number there might be a few newbies yet to be unveiled here 🤫

It’s all silly numbers really but it feels like you can never have too many! I’ve made a conscious effort in recent years to portray a balanced proportional cross-section of the entire fleet in my chosen time period, that you’d typically see on a day out at Didcot, whether that’s EWS’ various inherited sub-classes along with Virgin XC and interlopers from Freightliner and Great Western, each machine serves a purpose, even if it’s a dull dishwasher version 😂

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

For those going to the Warley show tomorrow (the Saturday), some of my weathered items should be in the Accurascale cabinets to have a cheeky browse at up-close, including some fun bits of which have yet to debut on this thread!

Hopefully see some RMWebbers about for a good natter! 

Cheers,

James

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, James Makin said:

For those going to the Warley show tomorrow (the Saturday), some of my weathered items should be in the Accurascale cabinets to have a cheeky browse at up-close, including some fun bits of which have yet to debut on this thread!

Hopefully see some RMWebbers about for a good natter! 

Cheers,

James

Will be on the demu stand tomorrow weathering Cavalex CDAs amongst other things.  Will be good to catch up! 

• Friendly/supportive 1