James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

An intercity 47 on a rake of Virgin mk2s was always a result travelling back and forth to Devon in 98/99.

now starting to think about weathering my intercity 47 rather than the more important job of building couplings this evening….

Something about the mix of Intercity locos on Virgin stock really worked well despite the opposing liveries, strange isn’t it! Look forward to seeing 47 coming along, you know it sounds more fun than couplings haha! 👹

3 hours ago, geoff west said:

I used to see 47 854 regularly at Didcot in the early 90's.

I have quite a few photos of her somewhere. 

That sounds lovely Geoff! I’m always keen to see everyone’s pics of the hallowed location if ever you did feel like uploading!

37 minutes ago, Andy7 said:

Lovely job yet again James.

FYI - 47812 is now a WCRC maroon machine.

Oh wow, so it is! That shows how things never stay still for these machines and the story keeps developing, long may it continue! 

• Agree 1

James, as ever fantastic weathering. 37059 is an inspirational piece of work. I am really struggling to find any motivation at the moment and that might actually just kick me into working on something.  I really would love to see your take on something of a 7mm persuasion. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/01/2024 at 23:28, James Makin said:

Make way for some prime movers!

53449486466_5aea118cf2_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

This week's new additions are a pair of classic grey Type 5s in the form of 60058 John Howard and 60063 James Murray in Transrail livery.

53449894890_f447314220_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The Didcot Power Station coal traffic brought in many a Class 60 to the Oxfordshire location, so it's only right that the fleet is bolstered to represent a very good smattering of these lovely old beasts modelled in what can now be considered their heyday.

53449797134_f2fab08516_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The start point can be seen here, but all is not what it looks like! One of the things that would get on my personal goat would be Hornby's inability to produce triple grey '60's in the right colour, so these two 'Bow Fell's need a repaint immediately - the lower rail grey is too yellow and the flint grey too dark!

53449606523_7b0e40ae34_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

All printing and colours needed to be removed, I scratched away the logos to get back down the layers to the base plastic, I know many would normally resort to the chemicals but in this case I used a lot of fine sandpaper and emery boards to file back down to bare plastic, ready for some luscious new paints to be applied. 

53449894870_6ab8699667_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

One of the redeeming features was the crisp Hornby yellow and black ends, so these were masked off whilst the rest of the bodyshells were given a coating in Halfords white primer, before a coat of Phoenix Rail Grey on the top.

This was then masked with Tamiya tape to cover off and with a custom shade of Flint Grey - using the Phoenix colour with a touch more white to lighten the shade. The roof was painted in a mid-grey fade shade, ready to help with the weathering stages later. 

Then the fun could begin!

53449606428_b6d5333cd7_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

To prepare the bodyshell for decals, each one was sprayed with Railmatch gloss varnish and left to dry before adding a fusion of Railtec and Fox decals to complete, and Shawplan etched nameplates.

The famous 90s 'Big T' roundels are from Railtec, and the beautiful one-piece items make installation an absolute breeze, whilst for the white 'Transrail' lettering, the Fox version is used as the font itself is slightly more 'square' and better matches these two particular locomotives, but the downside is that the quality of the decal simply can't match the modern production of Railtec. 

53449894810_959e2bd28c_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Armed with a two-decade-old soundtrack from Sugababes, the time-honoured paint-on & wipe-off weathering layers were added, and here is a little pictorial on how some of the subtle bodyside streaking can be created in the images below. 

53449486356_b40cf6bb7f_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Here we can see the Humbrol brown paint has been applied neat and then wiped away with kitchen towel, working vertically downward. The previous layer of Railmatch matt varnish (applied after the decals earlier) has clung onto the brown paint, despite most of the paint being wiped away. So the only way to remove this now is to use a bit of enamel thinners, applied on a cotton bud.

53449486296_07d7dcb9cf_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

By gently wiping downward with the cotton bud, most of the brown paint can then be removed, but being careful to focus on what's being left behind - if you want to create streaks of browns or greys, the paint is removed from around where these are desired, leaving the streak intact. It's worth experimenting with how much enamel thinners to add to your cotton bud, you can get different effects by using lots of thinners, or by working with an almost-dry cotton bud, so do mess around to the hearts content!

If you remove too much, you can always re-add the paint and build up again, eventually the result should start to look something like the below. 

53449606313_135d85c3f3_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

As with all weathering processes, the more layers that go on, the more effective the final result. The streaking can be tried with a range of browns and greys, building one on another to get a range of colours, matched to prototype photos and taking care to notice how and where each one weathers.

53449894660_eca69a7302_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Following the body weathering stages, a range of other techniques were employed, such as using fine brushes to touch in small marks and imperfections in the paintwork, whilst attention could also turn to the underframe too.

53449894615_a50859a047_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

53448558697_8d0e01b385_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

60058 John Howard was picked initially as it appeared at Didcot numerous times throughout its career, and is possibly one of the less well known members of the fleet, being a relatively mundane Transrail loco.

53449894605_1f44ccd4e1_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

New to BR's Trainload Coal sector in 1991, the locomotive was named in dedication to a longstanding British civil engineer who's businesses have contributed towards a number of significant bridge projects as well as the Channel Tunnel.

53449894595_1fd1354acd_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Although the attractive Coal sector 'black diamonds' had long since been covered with a 'Big T', the locomotive still managed to look relatively stylish - I was never a huge fan of Transrail livery back in the day, but as the years have passed, a certain level of nostalgia has led me to rediscovering a new love for them!

53449606118_3332c91f2d_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

60058 had a lot of streaky weathering when observed, and is the look recreated here. On the chassis, coats of Phoenix Brake Dust and Track Dirt were sprayed across with an airbrush, before coatings of Humbrol Metalcote Gunmetal to highlight raised detail on the bogies, and some dark grey to pick out fuel spillages and greasy marks on the buffers themselves. 

53449894565_ed57c4ed0a_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Although it can't easily be seen, the engine room interior equipment was weathered too, in the hope that if ever any light shines through the grilles one day whilst sitting on the layout, it won't look too shiny!

53448558587_7fcacb7399_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

60058 isn't the only new horse in town..!

53449486131_b320a3cea5_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Enter matching stablemate 60063!

53449796689_346cab582b_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Many may be familiar with 60063 James Murray, having been the subject of a model by Lima at the turn of the century, and one that a much younger self managed to get hold of back in the day, before deciding to repaint it into a dubiously-executed version of 60081! 

53449796659_faf43f8c04_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

60063 entered service with the Petroleum sector, sporting the pretty blue & yellow wavy sector flashes when new in 1991. The machine was named after philologist and lexicographer Sir James Murray, possibly best known for editing the Oxford English Dictionary for over 35 years until his death in 1915.

53449606038_4e522efa84_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The weathering on each machine was very similar, not clean, but also not filthy either! The compressor equipment on the underframe is dry brushed in a range of matt earth shades, following prototype photographs of how this area weathers slightly differently from the bogies and fuel tank area. 

53449606058_6779d30e61_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Still sporting a beautiful Cardiff Canton depot plaque at the 1998 period modelled here, the loco also unusually had a third electrification flash in the centre of its yellow panel at each end.

53449486046_21db1c3f67_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Meanwhile, up on the roof, the exhaust silencers were painted in a variety of rusty browns and greys, with a touch of talcum powder added to give a little texture on the smooth silencer. After this, the locomotives were dusted in shades of Phoenix Roof Dirt, Dirty Black and my usual mix of black & dark blue for the oily exhaust weathering. 

53449606013_7830a9e0fa_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

I also like the way on the 60s (and the 92s) that the upper yellow colouring on the cantrail gets more weathered than the corners and ends of the model - it's worth while paying extra attention to give it a gentle squirt whilst airbrushing!

53449605978_2ce04c3c8a_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

It's been a blast modelling these two old heavyweights, freezing them in their late 1998 timeframe, from an era when they were very much an integral part of the rail freight scene, but not for much longer.

53449485956_b5da150905_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Bringing the story up to date, as viewers will know, doesn't yield much hope! In 2003, 60058 would go on to lose its John Howard plates and exchange Transrail for a coat of EWS red, and would see service up until storage in 2008.

Meanwhile classmate 60063 would see one of it's James Murray plates go 'missing', and in 2012 saw a coat of the DB Schenker traffic red livery that it wore in mainline service until 2020. 

Alas, both mighty machines can now be found stored at Toton TMD, along with the majority of the class, awaiting their eventual fate - whether they'll be sold for re-use, sold as donors or be sold for scrap - only time will tell!

53449606008_650de5d701_k.jpg60058 and 60063 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

At least those happier times have been 'pickled', and the locos are now ready for their new life on my Didcot Parkway - to be seen at the head of the numerous merry-go-round coal trains feeding the insatiable Didcot Power Station, wagons roll!

Cracking work on these two Transrail Class 60's James.

I'm almost tempted to have a go at one myself!

Out of interest do you use Railtec ready made number sets as well as the 'Big T' logos from the same source?

The weathering is lovely and subtle as ever giving that work weary appearance.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi James,

I've been given a couple of centre headcode box Bachmann Class 37/5's to renumber. 

The Bachmann models have just the roller blind section of the headcode box plated over with the headlamps.

The prototypes I have to model have a flat front on the old headcode box with the two headlamps.

Have you come across this issue before and if so how did you address it?

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 46444 said:

The prototypes I have to model have a flat front on the old headcode box with the two headlamps.

Cheers,

Mark 

I’ve used a couple of methods, initially on 37671 I added a bead of micro strip around the edge then filling / filing to shape.

I then realised that one end of 668, one end of 674 and both ends of 670 should be like this.  So I’ve drawn it up as a 3d print.   Should be priming the test print tomorrow.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

On 21/01/2024 at 15:07, D6775 said:

James, as ever fantastic weathering. 37059 is an inspirational piece of work. I am really struggling to find any motivation at the moment and that might actually just kick me into working on something.  I really would love to see your take on something of a 7mm persuasion. 

Ah that is very kind! As it happens I was collared by Steve Farmer and Dave Tailby at the Warley show whilst looking at Steve's lovely O gauge 'Hillport Goods' layout and they made a very strong case for me taking up the big trains sport! It does look awfully tempting when you see the price of a Dapol '08' and just how much model you get for your money! Never say never I guess..!

On 22/01/2024 at 18:32, 46444 said:

Cracking work on these two Transrail Class 60's James.

I'm almost tempted to have a go at one myself!

Out of interest do you use Railtec ready made number sets as well as the 'Big T' logos from the same source?

The weathering is lovely and subtle as ever giving that work weary appearance.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark! To be honest with these ones I did the numbers just by lining up the mixed Railtec numbers cobbled together from a variety of sheets I've collected in recent years - some of the sheets have got so many digits missing that they barely hold themselves together, they almost look like a doily! 🤣

I've started to use the pre-made up numbers on some of the EWS red stock though - all the 56s and 60s tackled in the last couple of year's batches are done this way, an absolute breeze! Then there are the next batch of the mighty ZKV 'Barbel' wagons coming that Steve ever so kindly took the bespoke numbers for and turned into the beautiful decal packs now on sale - they've been half-built and sitting around for most of 2023 but I am determined to finish now that the loco batches are leaving the workbench and space is finally being cleared..!

On 22/01/2024 at 19:18, 46444 said:

Hi James,

I've been given a couple of centre headcode box Bachmann Class 37/5's to renumber. 

The Bachmann models have just the roller blind section of the headcode box plated over with the headlamps.

Cheers,

Mark 

I'd go with Rich's approaches there, there are a few 37s on my hit-list that have this same style and I was wondering how to tackle it best, another thought crossing the mind was to file down all the detail from the raised bit back to the flat part, and then add back in the headcode box lamp mouldings from Shawplan etched range - but I've got no further than armchair thoughts on that right now!

I'm very much looking forward to the next Accurascale 37s, the 'Dutch' release in particular will likely spawn many a useful workaday example and gives time to go to town on all the little detail differences on those 37/0s!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, James Makin said:

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

Ah that is very kind! As it happens I was collared by Steve Farmer and Dave Tailby at the Warley show whilst looking at Steve's lovely O gauge 'Hillport Goods' layout and they made a very strong case for me taking up the big trains sport! It does look awfully tempting when you see the price of a Dapol '08' and just how much model you get for your money! Never say never I guess..!

Thanks Mark! To be honest with these ones I did the numbers just by lining up the mixed Railtec numbers cobbled together from a variety of sheets I've collected in recent years - some of the sheets have got so many digits missing that they barely hold themselves together, they almost look like a doily! 🤣

I've started to use the pre-made up numbers on some of the EWS red stock though - all the 56s and 60s tackled in the last couple of year's batches are done this way, an absolute breeze! Then there are the next batch of the mighty ZKV 'Barbel' wagons coming that Steve ever so kindly took the bespoke numbers for and turned into the beautiful decal packs now on sale - they've been half-built and sitting around for most of 2023 but I am determined to finish now that the loco batches are leaving the workbench and space is finally being cleared..!

I'd go with Rich's approaches there, there are a few 37s on my hit-list that have this same style and I was wondering how to tackle it best, another thought crossing the mind was to file down all the detail from the raised bit back to the flat part, and then add back in the headcode box lamp mouldings from Shawplan etched range - but I've got no further than armchair thoughts on that right now!

I'm very much looking forward to the next Accurascale 37s, the 'Dutch' release in particular will likely spawn many a useful workaday example and gives time to go to town on all the little detail differences on those 37/0s!

Cheers,

James

Thanks James for the reply.Much appreciated. Interesting what you say about the flush front Class 37 headcodes.

As Rich mentioned the 37's I have to renumber are also the same Cornish trio of EW&S 668 as well as  Transrail 671 and 674.

It will be interesting to see if Rich's printing comes up trumps.

Once more Steve at Railtec has made up the number sets and excellent 3D printed nameplates already. 

As an aside Dave Tailby can always make a strong case for most things?..

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, James Makin said:

another thought crossing the mind was to file down all the detail from the raised bit back to the flat part, and then add back in the headcode box lamp mouldings from Shawplan etched range

I've never done one of these "full" plated headcode boxes as I've only ever done 37/4s, but the Shawplan headcode marker light etches are from the old range (the previous owner) so are not up to Brian's usual standard - they're a bit too 2D. On the old model I used to use plastic tube, fixed in place then reamed out to take the Bachmann lenses: 

P1340336.jpg.4c78b51cf0337fc00141774d52be0ea9.jpgP1340353.jpg.2257e7b3fed6d31236e72117ee0cc61a.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Just primed the test build for 668/674 over lunch, so I should get a coat of yellow on it later this week looking at the temperatures.  I will be able to run off a small batch of them later in the spring once the evening temperatures have improved enough for the printer to work properly if anyone is interested.   Of course there is still a chance after painting it doesnt look quite right and needs some cad work, but it will be there eventually (at which point I will be replacing the boxes from 37670 as well)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, James Makin said:

Cheers,

James

Hillport Goods is coming to MIOG 2024 at Crewe Heritage Centre at the end of March. I am sure we could find you something to practice on!!!!! 

MIOG 2024

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Another very nice 60, triple grey just suited them so well.  Guess we were lucky they lasted so long carrying it 

The Hornby model certainly scrubs up well, though based on the 56 I’m sure the Cavalex one will set a new standard.   Having put my first up for sale tonight it’s a tough call as to whether a second will also depart soon leaving just my Transrail repaint to fly the flag until the new model arrives.  I just find I can only fit a single 60 and 66 amongst all the 37s in the fiddleyard 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, James Makin said:

Time to conquer Ben Lui..!

53496414466_3fef4d613d_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Gently picking off the '60's one by one, it was only a matter of time before a former Trainload Metals machine would get added to the fleet, and here we can now welcome 60031 Ben Lui, modelled in early 1998 condition.

53496414441_3397c44627_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

I've a soft spot for all the Trainload sectors, and though my favourite one still alternates on a regular basis, it's hard not to like the bold yellow and blue chevrons that still look so fresh, even some 37 years since first being unveiled.

Where to start? Much as I'd love a nice Cavalex '60' when it drops, for now we'll make do with a bargain used Hornby one, and picked up for £70, couldn't say fairer than that!

53496836415_250f2b344e_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The donor model was once a Mainline Grey 'Canisp' example, with the old branding removed back to the base colours and gloss varnished, ready for the new decals to be applied. Railtec's excellent Trainload decals were added, alongside numbers and electrification flashes where needed.

53496414326_682e200dbf_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

At this stage of the project, a couple of the unique details could be added - the bodyside doors on one side was a slightly lighter grey than the rest of the loco, and interestingly, a little bit of the blue triangle was missing from the sector logo, so this was carefully cut away before the model was finally sealed with a coat of Railmatch matt varnish.

53496836360_08f4a87e6e_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The bodyshell was then left for around a month for the varnish layer to harden, after which the invasive paint-on & wipe-off layers of weathering could commence - the dangers of not waiting could be that the varnish layer is accidentally stripped off when enamel thinners is used for the washes, so it's worth waiting! I know many modellers have moved over to acrylics these days but I'm a bit basic and just stick to my old fashioned techniques, I may do some experimenting one day with the new generation of acrylics that seem to have moved on a whole load since first fettling with them in the late 90s!

53496414461_9e70c88823_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Time for the weathering stage, and accompanied by a lovely bit of Röyksopp, the layers of browns were added onto the luscious triple grey body - starting with shades of Humbrol 113 and Humbrol 251.

53495525477_73efe02444_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

I tend to vary the application of the paints depending upon the final look being sought, in this case going for nearly-neat paint, but other times I'll mix a large amount of thinners - you get a feel over time fo the effect you're looking for and how much to thin the paint, it is ideal for a bit of trial and error! 

Next, a kitchen towel is used to wipe vertically downward and remove most of the paint in one go: 

53495525382_2a25795b01_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Thanks to the layer of matt varnish applied previously, the paint will then cling to the bodyside, leaving you the option to remove as much as you like, using cotton buds dipped in enamel thinners - letting you  create streaks dirt patches as you wish.

53496414121_bf8bcbf600_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

One feature of 60031 noted from photographs of the time, was an ingrained dirt build up on the bodyside around one end of the bodyshell, and this was recreated by rolling a cotton bud around in some thinned paint on the body, with lots of fettling before getting the effect being sought!

As well as this, Ben Lui also had a long scrape on the side too - possibly some sort of shunting yard mishap maybe?

53496836135_c81c0264b1_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Regardless of how it happened, it was recreated by running a strip of Tamiya masking tape down the side, and touching in the relevant areas with a fine 5/0 brush and three different shades of brown and grey paint to replicate the damages. 

53496713939_7bed442007_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

60031 in all its glory! The bold blue and yellow of the Trainload Metals markings really set off the triple grey, it is a shame that more of the Metals machines didn't make it far into the privatisation period, '031 was one of the very last!

53496564743_ac8f3e10cd_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The machine would lose one of its Ben Lui nameplates around 1996 - leaving just bolt holes and a few marks where it used to be - presumably liberated 'unofficially' and perhaps still out there on someone's wall, all these years later...

53496413986_5a95b91e97_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

After reassembly of the bodyshell, the chassis had the full-depth bufferbeams added at both ends, and the tension-lock coupler and self-catering swing function entirely removed, to be replaced with a 0.33mm brass wire loop, drilled into the chassis and superglued in place, to allow the usual bufferbeam pipe detailing to be fitted, yet still haul tension-lock-fitted stock. 

53496713844_b98a40dfc9_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

A view here showing the somewhat forlorn bodyside on 60031! The scrapes and damaged sector logo add to the character of the machine, whilst it would've been lovely to model the loco in peak ex-works condition, it's fun to do something that portrays the hard life and bad luck they often experienced!

53496413836_295666d483_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Up on the roof, the exhaust silencer was painted in several rusty shades, along with a bit of talcum powder mixed in for texture, before being coated with shades of roof dirt, dirty black and my custom black/blue exhaust fume mix too.

53496413806_e4d2ea7eb6_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

53496713749_38fdd10930_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

A driver was added in the cab - one of the cheap eBay Chinese 1:75 figures was chopped up and painted up, and homemade blinds added in each windscreen too.

53496564538_5e3d63eafd_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

60031 was a hard working beast! New to BR's Trainload Metals sector in 1990, the locomotive was allocated to Thornaby and wore the iconic Kingfisher depot plaques, with the legacy of its time there being the scars left on the cabside where the plaques were removed in 1997.

53496713739_4f4970754b_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The geographical names on the '60's were most magical - namesake Ben Lui being one of the Scottish 'Munro's in the Grampian mountains of northeast Argyll, and measuring in at 3,710 feet tall. 

53496564573_9232e45919_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

One of the fun little oddities seen on 60031 was the damaged No.2 end - a big punt in on the yellow just inboard of the buffer on the secondman's side - after some head scratching, this was achieved using a soldering iron, and touching in the damage with some spare yellow paint!

Completing the story, the real 60031 would go on to lose its remaining Ben Lui plate later in 1998, and then swapped the 'Metals' colours for a shiny coat of EWS red in 2002, along with a new name - ABP Connect. The mighty beast would continue in service until storage by DBS in 2009, after which it would see out the remainder of its years to date in the confines of Toton yard, alongside its many classmates all awaiting their final fate.

53496413676_ea32e08843_k.jpg60031 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

It's been great fun bringing this one to life, part of the special club of '60's to retain the original sector colours into privatisation and into the history books, and what a looker it was back then!

Cheers,

James

Nicely done as ever ! I’m looking forward to your Transrail 56 - my money is 007 or 086 :)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Another very nice 60, triple grey just suited them so well.  Guess we were lucky they lasted so long carrying it 

The Hornby model certainly scrubs up well, though based on the 56 I’m sure the Cavalex one will set a new standard.   Having put my first up for sale tonight it’s a tough call as to whether a second will also depart soon leaving just my Transrail repaint to fly the flag until the new model arrives.  I just find I can only fit a single 60 and 66 amongst all the 37s in the fiddleyard 

Cheers Rich, and agree on the livery - simple but elegant! I'm amazed at how well the paintwork has stood up on those examples that still carry it - whether like the 60s that are stored in Toton or even the 92s in their original grey, that has stood up to some serious time and still looks pretty reasonable!

Fingers crossed you get a good price for your 60! I've found some real bargains at shows in recent times, as well as a few friends offloading their examples, in the shadow of the Cavalex model coming it is a great time to be boosting your Hornby 'Tug' fleet ironically! I reckon you could do with a bigger fiddle yard 😉

9 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Nicely done as ever ! I’m looking forward to your Transrail 56 - my money is 007 or 086 :)

Thanks Rob! Those are some great guesses, 007 would be lovely to do, though I can state now it won't be 086 as I've tackled this a couple of years back on the outgoing Hornby model - 

They were great fun to do at the time but I am looking forward to getting started on my two new-gen Cavalex 56s, and looking forward to getting some weathering on the very 3D-bogies, a huge difference on the Hornby ones!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

Hi James, I have to say some truly amazing work with all of the locos and the fact you can seem get them all for under £100....I'll need to take a few leaves out of your book for that considering today's prices 😉

Yes, I do like the look of the Cavalex 56s and they're probably going to achieve as highly with their 60 but there's something about the Hornby versions of both that make them worth hanging onto imo....

Jules

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Departmental203 said:

Hi James, I have to say some truly amazing work with all of the locos and the fact you can seem get them all for under £100....I'll need to take a few leaves out of your book for that considering today's prices 😉

Yes, I do like the look of the Cavalex 56s and they're probably going to achieve as highly with their 60 but there's something about the Hornby versions of both that make them worth hanging onto imo....

Jules

Aha thanks very much! There's always bargains to be found somewhere I think! They tend to pop up when least expected, for example at DEMU Showcase last year, tucked away on Charlie/DC Kits' stand had a gaggle of Hornby 60s going for £75 each, and it was rude not to liberate 3 of them for a new life..! 

Mind you, back in the day (how old am I sounding now, eek!) I used to have a little saying "£60 for a '60'" that would be my ceiling price for a used Hornby 60, until prices did start to go northward on the second hand as well as the new items. As a club we'd be out at shows several times a year with Loftus Road, giving ample time to find bargains over a weekend and you'd come away with multiple carrier bags full of recent releases all at those kind of prices - it felt good then, but we didn't know just how lucky we were at the time..!

The smaller shows & swapmeets/toy fairs are also great sources for surprise bargains too, so I try and make an effort to scout out local ones, but you never know what you're going to stumble across! It also pays to have a lot of cash stowed just in case they don't take cards and you've already just spent out on something else...I learnt my lesson some years back finding a trainload of about 20 (then rare) Bachmann RMC JGAs at £15 each and had to quickly nip out to a cash point to avoid missing out!

Even now cash still seems to work well - I did a cash deal at the GETS show last year for a Bachmann 47 and saved a tenner off the price - you can sense when certain secondhand traders are open to deals to clear their items, so I tend to just smile really sweetly and politely ask "what's your best price for cash?" and then stay completely silent until the trader responds with their offer. I've been told I've got quite a young face and you sometimes get the impression from their response that they think I'm just starting out in the hobby - if only they knew the true state of the addiction..! 😄

Ellis Clark Trains is a source for many of the wagons I've got - honest secondhand prices and great guys to deal with - my first go-to stand at any venue they're trading at.

One of the good skills is to do like you have with your threads Jules - the ability to paint things up and weather means that you don't need to be picky finding secondhand items - any livery or condition and it doesn't matter as it'll end up changed beyond recognition! Ironically I've had some fun recently having bought newer items that are being offloaded by friends - locos in liveries such as Colas and DB Schenker, and now being put back into their old BR liveries for use on my layout - it is strangely satisfying!

Cheers,

James

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, James Makin said:

Even now cash still seems to work well - I did a cash deal at the GETS show last year for a Bachmann 47 and saved a tenner off the price - you can sense when certain secondhand traders are open to deals to clear their items, so I tend to just smile really sweetly and politely ask "what's your best price for cash?" and then stay completely silent until the trader responds with their offer. I've been told I've got quite a young face and you sometimes get the impression from their response that they think I'm just starting out in the hobby - if only they knew the true state of the addiction..! 😄

Ellis Clark Trains is a source for many of the wagons I've got - honest secondhand prices and great guys to deal with - my first go-to stand at any venue they're trading at.

I do like the Ellis Clark stand at the bigger shows (and the fact they are usually rotating their stock so its always worth several visits as you never know what they had hidden away behind the back of the stand).  Though the only time I tend to have cash at a show is when I am an exhibitor and I have a pocket full of my expenses, cost of attending the show can go on the joint account, the cash for attending can go to a deserving trader in exchange for more goodies.....

Im still hoping for a flurry of late bidding on 60059 over the weekend, much as I love a sub £100 loco I am much less happy when its one that I am selling!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, James Makin said:

One of the good skills is to do like you have with your threads Jules - the ability to paint things up and weather means that you don't need to be picky finding secondhand items - any livery or condition and it doesn't matter as it'll end up changed beyond recognition! Ironically I've had some fun recently having bought newer items that are being offloaded by friends - locos in liveries such as Colas and DB Schenker, and now being put back into their old BR liveries for use on my layout - it is strangely satisfying!

Cheers,

James

Funny that you say that James, I seem to have the opposite problem as I model the 2015-2017 period and keep getting models in early privitisation liveries secondhand, EWS, Transrail and two tone Freightliner grey being the worst offenders! I tend to stick to secondhand anyhow to keep the costs down (student's budget) but getting fruitful bargains seems to become increasingly challenging....hopefully the wave of new models can encourage younger modellers who don't have as much money to throw away to get started without having to resort to Lima!

And yes, I can confirm youth seems to have a bargaining power for getting stuff on the cheap....I'll have to take advantage before time inevitably runs out 😂

And if you ever encounter the Junction Box, definitely check them out as they seem to remain very level headed with their prices (such as £100 for a 37/5 or £28 for a Seacow) but thanks, will check out Ellis Clark given the opportunity 😉

Jules

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, James Makin said:

Damn, I knew there was something else I needed to put on my Shawplan order last week to finish off the roof on the last GWT example I repainted…

love the horrendous state of 523, makes for a fantastic model.   484 is one of those I fancy doing but can’t justify, I’ve missed out on damages / non running Vi trains examples a couple of times now when the price exceeded the low limit I’ve set myself for non core locos.   I remember it being a regular performer on the binliner, did that go through Didcot?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Damn, I knew there was something else I needed to put on my Shawplan order last week to finish off the roof on the last GWT example I repainted…

love the horrendous state of 523, makes for a fantastic model.   484 is one of those I fancy doing but can’t justify, I’ve missed out on damages / non running Vi trains examples a couple of times now when the price exceeded the low limit I’ve set myself for non core locos.   I remember it being a regular performer on the binliner, did that go through Didcot?

Cheers Rich, these days I have to make myself notes on the phone to remember the various parts from the different sources to avoid missing them! Brian’s lovely parts are slightly harder to obtain than the instant click & deliver from say Railtec or Fox’s so I certainly make a point of saving up and doing a big list in one go!

The Calvert binliner went through Didcot, a whole variety of dog-eared 47s and then a fair few 58s at the helm when I saw it and then before long it became a red Shed turn of course! 

• RMweb Gold

I have an excel spreadsheet that contains the transfers / detail bits I need.  Just somehow forgot to add it!

The day the order arrived I also decided I wanted to order a set of plates for my rebuild of 50031, so they can both join the bits for 37902 on the next order when ever that turns out to be.   Speaking of which I had better update the file!

I like to get as much ordered at once to save on the postage, so locos often end up without names for a fair while unless there is a show on the horizon.   

• Like 1

Nice work James.

ive been re reading the Rail archive from 96-2000. Some great inspiration there to reignite  my interest. So many  unusual workings using unusual power 

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 1