James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

A quick question for you. You say you use Humbrol Thinners when removing printed on numbers, sector logos etc from locos but i have tried the same but have found they don't affect them at all. Am i missing something here as if i could get them to curl up like you do it would make some of the modelling projects Ive got to much easier.

Thanks in advance

Richard

10 minutes ago, G-DIMB said:

Hi

A quick question for you. You say you use Humbrol Thinners when removing printed on numbers, sector logos etc from locos but i have tried the same but have found they don't affect them at all. Am i missing something here as if i could get them to curl up like you do it would make some of the modelling projects Ive got to much easier.

Thanks in advance

Richard

If you are talking Bachmann decals , it seems to depend very much on which model, even which version of the 37 !

I had a 37706 body , which enamel thinners took the sector decals off dead easy .

I have a 37428 body , which they didn’t move . I’m having to use T cut but predictably it’s jiggered the grey where I have rubbed hard to get the decals off , needing a respray .

very variable.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, G-DIMB said:

Hi

Thanks in advance

Richard

Hi Richard!

Out of interest, which specific loco have you had the challenges with so far? It’s always useful to know as Rob says above, it’s such a mixed bag as to which ones will cause issues and which will be fine!

When I come up against a problem loco, the other method I’ll try is a curve-bladed scalpel, and gently rub across the printing but with almost no pressure applied, gently working away and filing down the raised printing back to the base paint layers underneath.

Sometimes I’ll have to use a combo of the two methods, gently scraping away the top sheen from the printed branding, and then adding a little enamel thinners on a cotton bud, which seems more effective once the shiny top layer of printing has been gently scratched back, so that could be worth a try!

I’ve had issues with selected older Bachmann models (pre-2015), Heljan stuff and similarly older Hornby models - I actually wonder if something in the printing techniques used in the various Chinese factories as most modern releases are generally an absolute breeze to strip off!

Having said that, I’ve had an absolute nightmare recently with some factory-weathered Bachmann Railfreight Distribution 47306s being pumped out by Kernow for good prices, produced around 2017, and thought, great, that’ll be easy to work on, only to find that the thinners would have a delayed effect, having removed the nameplates easily and dried off, but within a few hours it had set in and bleached out the entire top grey on each of the ones tackled, requiring a batch of repaints, disaster! 

Hope that helps a bit and possibly some of the techniques may be worth a try! As Rob says sometimes it does just go pear shaped and you are left doing a part-respray, I make a note of which bodyshells are the troublemakers and then try avoiding those as donors for future projects!  

Cheers,

James

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, James Makin said:

curve-bladed scalpel ... combo of the two methods ... enamel thinners ... delayed effect

13 hours ago, rob D2 said:

enamel thinners ... T cut ... jiggered the grey ... needing a respray .

I've only ever used Halfords' 1500 wet-and-dry paper to remove RTR printing. Use it very wet (and maybe even pre-worn) and go slowly - ten minutes is not too long to not ruin a model. Fold it and use an edge for small things such as depot stickers. And watch that you're not inadvertently rubbing the surrounding area. The sandpaper will create a shiny patch, but that's good for decal adhesion anyway, and then use Ronseal "Mattcoat" (actually satin) to touch up once the decals are on - it's a very good match for Bachmann's finish. 

EDIT: your JSAs are superb, by the way.  

EDIT 2: Oh, wait, so is everything else.... 

Edited by Daddyman
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, G-DIMB said:

Hi

Thanks in advance

Richard

If I may comment as someone without a high level of skill and finesse and who has a habit of damaging models when trying all sorts of methods of removing tampo printing, I ended using this stuff

https://www.lux-modellbau.de/cms/front_content.php?idcat=247 (Firefox has just added a translation tool in the latest update...)

Same stuff is also branded by Herpa as it seems to have a big following in model vehicles on the continent.

It works for me, basically put this stuff on top of the actual printing and let it dry for a minute or so then the printing hardens and  can be scraped off like the top of a scratchcard. Saved me butchering several ribbed sides of Hornby 67's. Definitely works. Doesn't seem to be sold in the UK but can be bought via Ebay.

Edited by ruggedpeak
typos
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 28/09/2023 at 23:27, James Makin said:

Having said that, I’ve had an absolute nightmare recently with some factory-weathered Bachmann Railfreight Distribution 47306s being pumped out by Kernow for good prices, produced around 2017, and thought, great, that’ll be easy to work on, only to find that the thinners would have a delayed effect, having removed the nameplates easily and dried off, but within a few hours it had set in and bleached out the entire top grey on each of the ones tackled, requiring a batch of repaints, disaster! 

Snap !!

20220521_112412.jpg.3b5250b1bf405e6204c1838f6031d478.jpg

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the kind comments guys! It’s always useful to know the other techniques that have been built up over the years to despatch various printing and branding into oblivion, and useful tips to add to the arsenal! 

On 29/09/2023 at 07:17, sb67 said:

Hello James, 

I've been looking at your posts about weathering VDA/VAA wagons, apologies if I've missed it but what colours did you use for the Railfreight red/grey livery? 

Cheers.

Steve. 

Thanks Steve, I must admit the shades here are just hand-mixed by eye to the photos found of each wagon, they are normally so faded that no official colour would match so I’ll tend to fade down a bright red with a dollop of white and keep going from there! Then similar with the greys too, and I love using Phoenix paints over Humbrol as they brush nicely straight from the tin with just a single coat, just mixing in various shades until happy!

On 30/09/2023 at 09:53, SouthernMafia said:

Snap !!

20220521_112412.jpg.3b5250b1bf405e6204c1838f6031d478.jpg

Eek! That is an unwelcome surprise to get, feeling your pain there! What starts as a simple renumber/rebrand suddenly becomes a much more involved project!

The weathering on that version is unusually stubborn too, other Bachmann locos seemed much easier to play around with, so steering well clear of this release in future..!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, James Makin said:

Thanks Steve, I must admit the shades here are just hand-mixed by eye to the photos found of each wagon, they are normally so faded that no official colour would match so I’ll tend to fade down a bright red with a dollop of white and keep going from there! Then similar with the greys too, and I love using Phoenix paints over Humbrol as they brush nicely straight from the tin with just a single coat, just mixing in various shades until happy!

Thanks James, I've got 3 or 4 VDA's I want to re paint to late 80's early 90's condition and I'm not sure what to paint them. I'd like 1 to be a departmental wagon. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James, I was wondering where you start with painting Executive Dark Grey? I've tried adding black to various greys but can't seem to get the mix right, there seems to be another colour in there? 

I guess I could get some railmatch ready mixed but fancied trying your approach.

Cheers,

Steve. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 28/09/2023 at 23:27, James Makin said:

Hi Richard!

Snipy Snip

Out of interest, which specific loco have you had the challenges with so far? It’s always useful to know as Rob says above, it’s such a mixed bag as to which ones will cause issues and which will be fine!

Cheers,

James

Hi James

Its mainly the Bachmann 37430 that i want to renumber to WHL line versions. Ive used cocktail sticks and a little bit of T-Cut before but Ive not done of the new ones yet and as they will be considerably more money i dont want to make a start and ruin them!

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, G-DIMB said:

Hi James

Its mainly the Bachmann 37430 that i want to renumber to WHL line versions. Ive used cocktail sticks and a little bit of T-Cut before but Ive not done of the new ones yet and as they will be considerably more money i dont want to make a start and ruin them!

Richard

I've done a few of the new Bachmann 37s, including 37430 to a WHL example. I used Halford's 1500 wet and dry used wet. I doubt it's any more abrasive than T-Cut.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the kind words guys! 

On 15/10/2023 at 10:47, Chris56057 said:

Superb work James, it's nice to see that the older Bachmann 47 can still be an ideal candidate for a detailing project 👍

Cheers Chris, I must admit I do love these old 47s, the model is basic but so easy to work on, my only slight niggle is the size of the headcode marker lights, but the new-gen Bachmann model doesn’t quite convince me in this area either, so I figured I’m best off staying with these! I love the battery box underframe detail of the new model though, so I’m looking into buying spares here as it would save a lot of time scratchbuilding the gear on the battery-box-only models! 

On 16/10/2023 at 20:11, sb67 said:

Hi James, I was wondering where you start with painting Executive Dark Grey? I've tried adding black to various greys but can't seem to get the mix right, there seems to be another colour in there? 

I guess I could get some railmatch ready mixed but fancied trying your approach.

Cheers,

Steve. 

Hi Steve! It depends on what I’m painting to start, if it’s a new-condition model I’d go for a Phoenix Exec Dark Grey pre-mixed, but if it’s an older weathered effect model then you may as well go for a more generic dark grey and mix by eye to a photo, but it’s normally easier to just buy the Phoenix ones where possible!  

On 16/10/2023 at 21:49, G-DIMB said:

Hi James

Richard

That sounds a lovely project! It’s great hearing the different techniques, I know Humbrol enamel thinners would lift that printing off in a flash but it totally is a leap of faith and there’s nothing worse than the sinking feeling of when it goes wrong! Very best of luck there for whichever method you do use! 

Cheers,

James

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

They look superb James, understated but obviously used!

I'm struggling to get a certain effect on some VDA wagons, I think I'm colour blind in the sense that I look at a prototype photo and can't work out which colours to use. Do you have a list of your weathering colours at all?

What's also frustrating is I haven't got a decent paint stockist near me, only a limited Revell or Tamiya stock in Hobbycraft. That said I'm determined to get the hang of this! 

Also, is it dark colours first then light of the other way around? 

Edited by sb67
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice work there James, a particularly good job on the flush end conversion which from experience on 47815 is a swine of a job to get just right.   You are making me think after going to town on GWT 47s this year, in 2024 I should address the balance with some more Virgin once to accompany 47817...

• Friendly/supportive 1