James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

@James Makin Not sure if this has been mentioned before as you put various layers of paint on, do you have any trouble with the weathering sticking to the factory finish? I'm trying some weathering with oil paints and whilst the effects are great and they are easy to work with, even after a week if \i try and put another layer of weathering on the original one wipes off. I think factory finishes seem so smooth now I wonder if even a coat of Matt varnish would hold.

Steve.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, sb67 said:

@James Makin Not sure if this has been mentioned before as you put various layers of paint on, do you have any trouble with the weathering sticking to the factory finish? I'm trying some weathering with oil paints and whilst the effects are great and they are easy to work with, even after a week if \i try and put another layer of weathering on the original one wipes off. I think factory finishes seem so smooth now I wonder if even a coat of Matt varnish would hold.

Steve.

Hi Steve!

Absolutely, the key to all these finishes for me is to add a layer of matt varnish to start. I'll spray either Railmatch or Humbrol matt varnish from the aerosols across the model that is to be weathered, and then wait at least 1 month for this to harden fully before doing the paint-on/wipe-off weathering stages. I've alluded to it in the writing but essentially the matt finish helps the subsequent weathering paints stick to the body otherwise they wipe straight off as you say! 

The only downside is the 1-month time taken to wait for the matt varnish to dry and harden, but it's based on my experience of working on a recently-applied varnish, only to have that peel off if it's not hardened enough! There are other weathering techniques out there that people do with the acrylics or powders that can be done instantly but I'm a bit old fashioned in loving the enamel paints!

Cheers,

James

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks so much for all the kind words and reactions guys, that's really nice! I like modelling these mundane little vans and it is nice to give them a bit of attention, back in the day they were just part of the great spotter's backdrop and you just thought they'd always be on the rails, until they weren't!

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Love it, especially the roof.

I’ve tried to do mine like that but it looks like a muppet has attacked it with a 6” paintbrush  !

Cheers Rob, mine are similar but this muppet right here has just got a smaller brush 🤣

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

Wow that's a stunning result - particularly like the effect you've achieved using the faded red patches, that really looks the part. And the patience required to pick out each rivet with a spot of rust is dedication indeed!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...