James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

Happy New Year. Inspirational blog. I know videos might be a bit time consuming, but instead might you consider doing some very basic photo posts on how to do things like fit scale couplings or the wire bar couplings that you seem to add to your locomotives ? 

All best

Jon M

• RMweb Premium
On 15/12/2022 at 19:03, sb67 said:

James, when you remove the numbers like that do you apply the new ones over the factory finish or put a coat of varnish down first?

Hi Steve! For this I'll be adding a coat of gloss varnish onto the body before the decal gets applied, and then topping off with an overall coat of matt varnish afterwards to seal everything in, things like the windows will get masked with Humbrol Maskol fluid (I find this much easier than taking the windows out and refitting!) during the varnishing process and the overall matt finish I do prefer - after this it'll get a final coating of airbrush track grime/exhaust weathering when the cobwebs are next dusted off the airbrush!

Cheers,

James

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/01/2023 at 17:10, DerbyLNWR said:

Happy New Year. Inspirational blog. I know videos might be a bit time consuming, but instead might you consider doing some very basic photo posts on how to do things like fit scale couplings or the wire bar couplings that you seem to add to your locomotives ? 

All best

Jon M

Hi Jon!

Thanks for the kind words, as it happens I've got a ready made response and pictures ready just like that from the other month, hope this helps! :)

On 02/05/2022 at 21:25, James Makin said:

Thanks, that's a good question, no worries!

I've always liked doing the wire loops/hoops (or 'goalposts' as they sometimes get nicknamed) as a great way of being able to fit all the bufferbeam pipework and still work with the tension lock couplers on my wagon fleet. 

I have found wide hoops work best for me, as my stock runs on Worthing MRC's Loftus Road which has some tighter curves in the fiddle yard, and longer-wheelbase wagons can otherwise have trouble if the hoop is a bit narrow!

Using a Bachmann 47 extracted from the donor pile, here's a quick overview of what takes place, hopefully the red bufferbeam will help things show up better.

Firstly, the holes are drilled with a small modeller's archimedes drill, just on the inside of the buffer shanks, and a hoop of 0.45mm brass wire (my stash is normally obtained via eBay or Eileen's Emporium) is put through -

43745534-CFBC-41E6-88C6-0ECF80934D56_1_201_a.jpeg.3ca34cc4c849f58387aa88dc3cead466.jpeg

For bending the brass, I will bend a 90 degree right angle in it, pop it through the first hole as a test, and then using a permanent marker pen, make a mark as to where the next bend should be, I'll then remove the wire and do the other right angle bend to make the 'U' shape here.

The next stage is to then superglue the joint at which the hoop goes into the bufferbeam, and once dry, I'll bend in the sticky-out parts behind the bufferbeam, and add some more glue at the rear, it's not going anywhere at that stage!

C71F4E7C-F0B1-49E2-AF8C-2B5950066EA5_1_201_a.jpeg.d41166e4394a13266cd9c978eae1a47c.jpeg

After everything is dry, it's just a case of bending the hoop down to a height where a wagon can couple up on it's own to the hoop, and away you go! From experience on my tighter curves, the front beam of the hoop is generally good if it's just projecting ahead of the buffers, and be aware that once you bend the hoop downwards, it'll bring it in closer to the loco - it's often a bit of trial and error before getting to the glue stage!

Hope this helps!

James

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Did you just chamfer the top of the side to give the impression of reducing the ridiculous thickness, or thin the whole side?  I have 3 or 4 of these sat in a stock box untouched, cant decide if I will attempt to improve them or sell off and buy some Cambrian kits

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Did you just chamfer the top of the side to give the impression of reducing the ridiculous thickness, or thin the whole side?  I have 3 or 4 of these sat in a stock box untouched, cant decide if I will attempt to improve them or sell off and buy some Cambrian kits

Pretty much the whole sides to the floor, in the end Rich! It did take a while and was a bit of a pain! Theres more of a chamfer on the ends where the thickness of the plastic between the deep rib bits and the inner flat plated bit is thinner, so when I did try and file the entire end back, I suddenly had some daylight visible! 🤣

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

47 minutes ago, James Makin said:

Happy New Year guys..!

One of the benefits of the festive season is ideally getting a bit of time off to push on further with some modelling projects, and there's been a bit of a blitz lately! There should be something rather fun appearing on one of the Accurascale threads in due course, and aside from this I've been catching up on a few OCA wagon projects started earlier in the year, here goes...

52624411136_2f5b017d28_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

As longer term readers may remember, I've tackled quite a lot of the Bachmann air-braked opens over the years, but I've always loved the sight of a 'Dutch' OCA, so with a stack of cheap ones bought from shows gathering up, 3 were taken and given a seeing to!

52624841485_9e5f56b41a_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Joining the fleet today are OCA No. 112012, 112066 and 112214, with each wagon modelled on photographs available on Flickr.

The starting point was the Bachmann EWS release of some years back -

52623893322_ac94bbf613_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The main bugbear with Bachmann's OCA is the thickness of the plastic sides, which look extremely beefy! This was filed down to as thin as my patience and the basic structure would allow, I did get a bit carried away at the end of one wagon and ended up going right through it..!

52624660599_14be6aad87_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Once all of the interior was filed back, and external branding removed, each wagon was given a coating of Railmatch Rail Grey aerosol paint, topped off with a faded yellow stripe layer, and black painted bits where required, matching to the prototype pictures. 

52623893307_b0daa0cfb3_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Each wagon was glossed with Railmatch varnish and given decals from Railtec - Steve's lovely (then new) stencil decals were cobbled together for the TOPS detail, matching up to what I could glimpse from the Flickr pics for each wagon, and then the whole model was given a coating of Railmatch Matt Varnish to finish, before the weathering fun could begin!

52624888868_ccf63ee1d3_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Here, the truly superb soundtrack of Rose Gray is recommended for any Dutch OCA projects, as we see the initial layers of browns being applied and then wiped away with cotton buds. Humbrols No. 62, 186 and 113 are layered on over the course of a few days, building up a range of colour.

52624888868_ccf63ee1d3_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Little streaking can be created by not fully taking all of the paint away, which would be ideal for creating some of the rusty streaks seen where rainwater runs down the side of the wagon body. 

52624888838_bc3e446b38_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

After the paint-on/wipe-off stage, a fine 5/0 paintbrush is then used to highlight some of the rusty scrapes and damages on the bodysides of each wagon. About 5 different shades of brown are layered on, starting with Humbrol 62, 186, 113, 133 and 262, with the darkest shade at the epicentre of the rust outbreak.

52624888823_fb970c1277_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The chassis is painted in a sloppy mix of Phoenix Track Dirt and Humbrol 32 dark grey, with a bit of Humbrol 27004 Metalcote Gunmetal, highlighting the edges of the chassis and oily deposits with a bit of a sheen!

Now I do love the opportunity to do a bit of graffiti..! OCA 112012 had some interesting 'artwork' at one stage, so I had to replicate this in model form. 

52624841370_543805c1ea_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The start point is to paint on the backing colours, carefully keeping an eye on where the graffiti sits on the wagon itself, and then once dry, start by adding in the lining on top - in this case a simple black & white artwork, being lined out with a 5/0 brush.

52624841335_039b5ec2e7_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Once completed, the interiors received a bit of a weathering. I've always been meaning to do some decent loads for the OCAs but until I get round to it, I'm finishing each wagon as empty for now, so the wooden plank floor is painted in first, followed by the sides. 

52623893177_40f70ea427_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Similar to the OTA timber wagon floor techniques tackled a few pages back, the weathered 'wood' effect is a couple of shades of mid brown paint, later dry-brushed over the top with shades of light earthy greens and greys, and then light grey, simulating a little bit of woodgrain by using a large, slightly scratchy dry brush. After adding several layers of paint shades, the effect builds up but it takes some patience and trial & error to match to photographs of OCAs.

52624888768_ccbd7afb67_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The insides of the wagon doors and ends were painted in a dark brown colour, with lashings of dark grey mottled in, and once dry, more shades of greys and browns were dotted in on top, building up the very dark and battered effect that these wagons seem to pick up after many years hard service. 

52624841275_1d06e59be9_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

OCA 112012 was one of the earlier examples of the fleet, and later in life being plastered with graffiti down one side, ironically the paint helping to cover the rusty sides where most of the old BR 'Dutch' livery was flaking away!

52624410971_7db4bf4679_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The fun part on this wagon was definitely in the weathering, with some many little scrapes and damages, all built up with a paintbrush using light brown, topped off with the darker shades.

52624841220_afd49e0832_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Over here is OCA 112066, another Dutch one with a lot of the rust marks! These are primarily from where they have been damaged from the inside of the wagon, and a peaked dent formed, with the external paintwork flaking away and becoming exposed to the elements.

52624660369_8ec804da79_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Some of the interesting details on this include electrification flashes applied at wonky angles, as well as the newer data panels and info being applied on black patches over the original wagon TOPS panel and details.

52624410911_69204d7174_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

One finishing touch on the Bachmann wheels is to add in Colin Craig brake discs (now available via Wills Workbench), the version for the 12mm wheel was glued on using a spot of Microscale Kristal Klear and then weathered in. The wheels are all painted dark grey/brown, but wiped away on the face of the brake disc to leave the effect of dirt in the holes, and to make sure the shiny metal of the original wheel is obscured.

52624841200_5db3312a26_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Last of the trio was OCA 112214, which was in a faded grey livery in the condition modelled here, together with evidence of diamond markings on the side - possibly Hazchem explosive markings linked to MoD workings, which made for a fun model. 

52623893047_cb6a27dd43_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The other side of the 112214 had a series of dark grey patches painted on, though the reason why is unclear, whether a series of body repairs or even just covering graffiti, we may never know!

52623893037_ac21fdc953_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

52624410871_0d88223326_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

After all of the weathering was completed, each wagon was then given a complete all-over spraying with Railmatch matt varnish to seal in the weathering - often the application of the rust marks will lead to shiny patches appearing so the matt varnish is essential for smoothing everything out and flattening it down. 

52624888623_033ecc8039_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Here below you can see the interiors, crying out for a load at some stage! OCAs do seem to have some very fiddly loads, pipes, track components and all sorts, it will take a little thought but I'll do something at some stage!

52624888608_c96b2e662f_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

52624660304_dd24e5ae9a_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

And there we have it! The wagons will join the lengthy train of other OCAs and OBAs already formed, and their 'Dutch' livery will add some nice extra balance to the liveries already depicted.

I try to keep an eye out in Rail Express magazine each month for the long list of OCAs that keep getting scrapped in Gareth Bayer's fantastic Wagons section, and though I've not spotted them, I'd imagine the prototype OCAs here may well be long gone by now as the railway seems to move towards big bogie box wagons everywhere!

52624841100_287c38ec57_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

It was great fun to get these completed and off the workbench, and to get tucked into some juicy new projects for the year ahead, coming soon!

Cheers,

James

great work as always James! these type of projects always inspire to get me into doing some weathering techniques such as you display... I have several VGA/VKA's and OCA's for MOD workings to do as well loads other various low sided wagon which will need the same treatment.

A quick question when you are layering with the 'paint on / wipe off' - how many coats do you do? and how soon after do you wipe off? consistency of the paint etc? Need to get round to trying it myself sooner or later!

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, James Makin said:

Pretty much the whole sides to the floor, in the end Rich! It did take a while and was a bit of a pain! Theres more of a chamfer on the ends where the thickness of the plastic between the deep rib bits and the inner flat plated bit is thinner, so when I did try and file the entire end back, I suddenly had some daylight visible! 🤣

Thanks, I think I might have a go at setting the Dremmel up in the pillar drill attachment and using it to mill down the side thickness.  Worth a try at least as I would always rather not have to paint Dutch on an engineers wagon...

3 hours ago, James Makin said:

Happy New Year guys..!

One of the benefits of the festive season is ideally getting a bit of time off to push on further with some modelling projects, and there's been a bit of a blitz lately! There should be something rather fun appearing on one of the Accurascale threads in due course, and aside from this I've been catching up on a few OCA wagon projects started earlier in the year, here goes...

52624411136_2f5b017d28_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

As longer term readers may remember, I've tackled quite a lot of the Bachmann air-braked opens over the years, but I've always loved the sight of a 'Dutch' OCA, so with a stack of cheap ones bought from shows gathering up, 3 were taken and given a seeing to!

52624841485_9e5f56b41a_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Joining the fleet today are OCA No. 112012, 112066 and 112214, with each wagon modelled on photographs available on Flickr.

The starting point was the Bachmann EWS release of some years back -

52623893322_ac94bbf613_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The main bugbear with Bachmann's OCA is the thickness of the plastic sides, which look extremely beefy! This was filed down to as thin as my patience and the basic structure would allow, I did get a bit carried away at the end of one wagon and ended up going right through it..!

52624660599_14be6aad87_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Once all of the interior was filed back, and external branding removed, each wagon was given a coating of Railmatch Rail Grey aerosol paint, topped off with a faded yellow stripe layer, and black painted bits where required, matching to the prototype pictures. 

52623893307_b0daa0cfb3_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Each wagon was glossed with Railmatch varnish and given decals from Railtec - Steve's lovely (then new) stencil decals were cobbled together for the TOPS detail, matching up to what I could glimpse from the Flickr pics for each wagon, and then the whole model was given a coating of Railmatch Matt Varnish to finish, before the weathering fun could begin!

Here, the truly superb soundtrack of Rose Gray is recommended for any Dutch OCA projects, as we see the initial layers of browns being applied and then wiped away with cotton buds. Humbrols No. 62, 186 and 113 are layered on over the course of a few days, building up a range of colour.

Little streaking can be created by not fully taking all of the paint away, which would be ideal for creating some of the rusty streaks seen where rainwater runs down the side of the wagon body. 

52624888838_bc3e446b38_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

After the paint-on/wipe-off stage, a fine 5/0 paintbrush is then used to highlight some of the rusty scrapes and damages on the bodysides of each wagon. About 5 different shades of brown are layered on, starting with Humbrol 62, 186, 113, 133 and 262, with the darkest shade at the epicentre of the rust outbreak.

52624888823_fb970c1277_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The chassis is painted in a sloppy mix of Phoenix Track Dirt and Humbrol 32 dark grey, with a bit of Humbrol 27004 Metalcote Gunmetal, highlighting the edges of the chassis and oily deposits with a bit of a sheen!

Now I do love the opportunity to do a bit of graffiti..! OCA 112012 had some interesting 'artwork' at one stage, so I had to replicate this in model form. 

52624841370_543805c1ea_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The start point is to paint on the backing colours, carefully keeping an eye on where the graffiti sits on the wagon itself, and then once dry, start by adding in the lining on top - in this case a simple black & white artwork, being lined out with a 5/0 brush.

52624841335_039b5ec2e7_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Once completed, the interiors received a bit of a weathering. I've always been meaning to do some decent loads for the OCAs but until I get round to it, I'm finishing each wagon as empty for now, so the wooden plank floor is painted in first, followed by the sides. 

52623893177_40f70ea427_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Similar to the OTA timber wagon floor techniques tackled a few pages back, the weathered 'wood' effect is a couple of shades of mid brown paint, later dry-brushed over the top with shades of light earthy greens and greys, and then light grey, simulating a little bit of woodgrain by using a large, slightly scratchy dry brush. After adding several layers of paint shades, the effect builds up but it takes some patience and trial & error to match to photographs of OCAs.

52624888768_ccbd7afb67_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The insides of the wagon doors and ends were painted in a dark brown colour, with lashings of dark grey mottled in, and once dry, more shades of greys and browns were dotted in on top, building up the very dark and battered effect that these wagons seem to pick up after many years hard service. 

52624841275_1d06e59be9_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

OCA 112012 was one of the earlier examples of the fleet, and later in life being plastered with graffiti down one side, ironically the paint helping to cover the rusty sides where most of the old BR 'Dutch' livery was flaking away!

52624410971_7db4bf4679_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The fun part on this wagon was definitely in the weathering, with some many little scrapes and damages, all built up with a paintbrush using light brown, topped off with the darker shades.

52624841220_afd49e0832_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Over here is OCA 112066, another Dutch one with a lot of the rust marks! These are primarily from where they have been damaged from the inside of the wagon, and a peaked dent formed, with the external paintwork flaking away and becoming exposed to the elements.

52624660369_8ec804da79_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Some of the interesting details on this include electrification flashes applied at wonky angles, as well as the newer data panels and info being applied on black patches over the original wagon TOPS panel and details.

52624410911_69204d7174_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

One finishing touch on the Bachmann wheels is to add in Colin Craig brake discs (now available via Wills Workbench), the version for the 12mm wheel was glued on using a spot of Microscale Kristal Klear and then weathered in. The wheels are all painted dark grey/brown, but wiped away on the face of the brake disc to leave the effect of dirt in the holes, and to make sure the shiny metal of the original wheel is obscured.

52624841200_5db3312a26_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Last of the trio was OCA 112214, which was in a faded grey livery in the condition modelled here, together with evidence of diamond markings on the side - possibly Hazchem explosive markings linked to MoD workings, which made for a fun model. 

52623893047_cb6a27dd43_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

The other side of the 112214 had a series of dark grey patches painted on, though the reason why is unclear, whether a series of body repairs or even just covering graffiti, we may never know!

52623893037_ac21fdc953_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

52624410871_0d88223326_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

After all of the weathering was completed, each wagon was then given a complete all-over spraying with Railmatch matt varnish to seal in the weathering - often the application of the rust marks will lead to shiny patches appearing so the matt varnish is essential for smoothing everything out and flattening it down. 

52624888623_033ecc8039_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

Here below you can see the interiors, crying out for a load at some stage! OCAs do seem to have some very fiddly loads, pipes, track components and all sorts, it will take a little thought but I'll do something at some stage!

52624888608_c96b2e662f_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

52624660304_dd24e5ae9a_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

And there we have it! The wagons will join the lengthy train of other OCAs and OBAs already formed, and their 'Dutch' livery will add some nice extra balance to the liveries already depicted.

I try to keep an eye out in Rail Express magazine each month for the long list of OCAs that keep getting scrapped in Gareth Bayer's fantastic Wagons section, and though I've not spotted them, I'd imagine the prototype OCAs here may well be long gone by now as the railway seems to move towards big bogie box wagons everywhere!

52624841100_287c38ec57_k.jpgOCA Wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 3, on Flickr

It was great fun to get these completed and off the workbench, and to get tucked into some juicy new projects for the year ahead, coming soon!

Cheers,

James

Suberb James.

There's a couple of photos in another thread, freight in the Southeast, of a short rake of oca's top and tailed with 66's. I think they are loaded with scrap recovered signal components.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, WCML100 said:

great work as always James! these type of projects always inspire to get me into doing some weathering techniques such as you display... I have several VGA/VKA's and OCA's for MOD workings to do as well loads other various low sided wagon which will need the same treatment.

A quick question when you are layering with the 'paint on / wipe off' - how many coats do you do? and how soon after do you wipe off? consistency of the paint etc? Need to get round to trying it myself sooner or later!

Thanks

Thanks very much! 

With the paint on/wipe off weathering I tend to very it depending on the result I’m looking for, but here it was neat Humbrol enamel paint, applied and then removed within just a few mins while still very much wet! If it starts to dry out, I’ll add more paint on top to get it back wet again and then take it off, working with cotton buds and/or kitchen towel if needed! 

Other projects, especially the locos, I tend to water down the initial paint to just a light wash, mostly enamel thinners with a tinge of paint, it’s a case of playing around with different consistencies and working out what you want for the finished effect you’re looking for! 

The only downside I’ve found is that working with such strong thinners-paint ratio means that the wash can easily strip away varnish or branding if not protected, so I’ll normally allow a month’s drying & hardening time for varnish over the existing paintwork before starting on the weathering just to be on the safe side! 

2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Thanks, I think I might have a go at setting the Dremmel up in the pillar drill attachment and using it to mill down the side thickness.  Worth a try at least as I would always rather not have to paint Dutch on an engineers wagon...

Best of luck there Rich! I like the sound of the pillar drill arrangement, I did ponder using a minidrill to make light work of it, but without a securing arrangement like that then I would’ve been all over the place..!

1 hour ago, KDG said:

Suberb James.

There's a couple of photos in another thread, freight in the Southeast, of a short rake of oca's top and tailed with 66's. I think they are loaded with scrap recovered signal components.

Thanks for the pointers there, I’ll do some browsing! 

I do love the fun loads you see in photos of these types of wagons, I’m sure I once saw a pic of some Portaloos going for a ride, so that might well have to feature one day haha!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, James Makin said:

est of luck there Rich! I like the sound of the pillar drill arrangement, I did ponder using a minidrill to make light work of it, but without a securing arrangement like that then I would’ve been all over the place..!

I would still need to work out some sort of jig to hold the wagon in place, but I think it has potential.  Will dig it an old Hornby toy to test on first though…

• Like 1

9 hours ago, James Makin said:

Hi Steve! For this I'll be adding a coat of gloss varnish onto the body before the decal gets applied, and then topping off with an overall coat of matt varnish afterwards to seal everything in, things like the windows will get masked with Humbrol Maskol fluid (I find this much easier than taking the windows out and refitting!) during the varnishing process and the overall matt finish I do prefer - after this it'll get a final coating of airbrush track grime/exhaust weathering when the cobwebs are next dusted off the airbrush!

Cheers,

James

Ta James. Which varnish do you use? I'll have a loco to varnish soon. 

• RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2023 at 21:18, sb67 said:

Ta James. Which varnish do you use? I'll have a loco to varnish soon. 

I think my favourite are the Railmatch varnishes, bought in the aerosol format to save airbrushing, they are getting pricey these days but generally you do get good results!

I’ll spray a gloss varnish coat across the bodyshell before the decals go down, a matt varnish coat after the decals and then a second matt coat after the paint-on-wipe off weathering stages, prior to the final blow over with airbrush traffic weathering. 

I normally buy regular small batches directly from main distributor Howes of Oxford with the aim of getting the freshest batch, to ensure maximum success and hopefully minimal clogging or malfunctioning aerosols, and they’re all stored indoors in the warm! The danger of buying the aerosols elsewhere other than Howes is it’s not immediately obvious how long it’s been sitting on their shelves!

Hope this helps! :)

James

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 hours ago, James Makin said:

I think my favourite are the Railmatch varnishes, bought in the aerosol format to save airbrushing, they are getting pricey these days but generally you do get good results!

I’ll spray a gloss varnish coat across the bodyshell before the decals go down, a matt varnish coat after the decals and then a second matt coat after the paint-on-wipe off weathering stages, prior to the final blow over with airbrush traffic weathering. 

I normally buy regular small batches directly from main distributor Howes of Oxford with the aim of getting the freshest batch, to ensure maximum success and hopefully minimal clogging or malfunctioning aerosols, and they’re all stored indoors in the warm! The danger of buying the aerosols elsewhere other than Howes is it’s not immediately obvious how long it’s been sitting on their shelves!

Hope this helps! :)

James

Thanks James. I'm going to try and airbrush my matt varnish as the gloss went on ok. I always seem to be heavy handed with rattle cans.  I might also do some pin washes around the grills etc while I've got the gloss coat on. 

Edited by sb67
  • Friendly/supportive 1

James,

Aerosols (paints) have a 10 year shelf life from production, most if not all manufacturers put the production date on the can (normally on the bottom or the neck of the can) for example: P2219 will be "production week 22 of 2019". 

A lot of people moan about varnish/sealers turning milky or chalky or white in colour. The only things that cause this are nothing to do with the paint or can. Its because the surface/paint/substrate your spraying it on is still wet or not fully cured or the humidity/damp/water content in the air is too high.

I know you leave your models a month between major coats of paint/varnish which is probably why you get no reactions!

Just a bit of advise ;-)

Rhys 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Rhysb said:

James,

Aerosols (paints) have a 10 year shelf life from production, most if not all manufacturers put the production date on the can (normally on the bottom or the neck of the can) for example: P2219 will be "production week 22 of 2019". 

A lot of people moan about varnish/sealers turning milky or chalky or white in colour. The only things that cause this are nothing to do with the paint or can. Its because the surface/paint/substrate your spraying it on is still wet or not fully cured or the humidity/damp/water content in the air is too high.

I know you leave your models a month between major coats of paint/varnish which is probably why you get no reactions!

Just a bit of advise ;-)

Rhys 

Thanks Rhys, hope you're doing good!

I thought I was just the one trying to decipher those codes on the cans haha! The Railmatch ones seem to be printed on a little white label on the sides of the cans, and Phoenix do the classic reverse date on the sides. 

There's one well-known modelling supplier that I've bought Railmatch aerosol cans from over the years and they have all failed on me prematurely it seems, shaken well but blocking during their first usage leaving you with about £8 of varnish you can't get at, or exchange heads and still can't unblock! I think it may be down to how they store the stock between shows possibly, maybe being left in a cold van or warehouse, you never know what happens to it before you get at it! 

I did once have a milky white finish with a project, my BR Green 47004 I did in 2013, it was a Winter project and I was rushing to get it finished, sprayed it on too cold a day and very recently after weathering, and it went a bit ghostly! Fortunately it just managed to be saved with some over coating with more varnish but that was a good lesson learnt!

Cheers,

James

Humbrol cans do the same. Just suddenly stop. Hornby customer service has been good enough to replace one so far…..may be more when the garage thaws enough to do some more.

I use an airbrush for weathering but becuase it is such a colossal throbbing pain in the arse to clean, I don’t use it for varnishes 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 13/01/2023 at 18:51, James Makin said:

The only downside I’ve found is that working with such strong thinners-paint ratio means that the wash can easily strip away varnish or branding if not protected, so I’ll normally allow a month’s drying & hardening time for varnish over the existing paintwork before starting on the weathering just to be on the safe side! 

That's an interesting tip James, will use that when I've finished varnishing my 31. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great work as always James. I am currently setting about tackling my own spoil rake made up of MTA’s, MHA’s, and MFA’s - and taking great inspiration by your weathering techniques. I am hoping I can replicate your fine work to some extent 😃👌 

Edited by WCML100
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...