RMweb

Phrases that should be banned

AndyB

the word gay has been perverted

I remember (when I was about 8 or 10ish) cringing when I heard my mum Gay (short for Gabrielle) saying to some people whom she'd recently met, "Oh yes, I'm Gay by name and gay by nature!"

My mum was very old fashioned and of course meant 'happy/cheerful' etc! How I knew the more modern meaning of that word, I do not know!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

How about people when carrying out a project saying " I am going on a journey to ......"

Laura Tobin on the weather: "Yes, it will rain tomorrow" Why not just "It will rain tomorrow"

And people who criticise the use of "train station" when it has been in use for maybe 50 years or more (at least I can remember it from the 1960s)

Keith

My pet hate.

Have a nice day. :nono: I'm quite surprised that it hasn't had a mention yet.

Have a good day I really don't mind

The bus station is the place at which buses stop, the railway station is the place at which railway trains stop. On my desk I have a work station ................

Going by that, my workbench will now be called a work station. :no:

And people who criticise the use of "train station" when it has been in use for maybe 50 years or more (at least I can remember it from the 1960s)

It was in use long before then even................... Along with mammy, chucky egg, puff puff, baa lamb and moo cow. If people want to talk infantile, good luck to them.
  • Like 2

The phrase I cringe at is "cos we are/you are worth it", it's in quite a lot of adverts for womans things. Another one is "at the end of the day it's -----------".

The sports quote I had to smile at was when Brian Johnston said "he couldn't get his leg over" when Ian Botham trod on his wicket.

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Comperes who use "give it up for" instead of "please welcome". Give what up? Chocolate for Lent?

The train station vs rail station debate is set to run and run. Use of train station really grates on me. Increasing use in the UK is probably down to lots of American TV on our screens.

Absolutely Multiprinter, I loathe "like" (and "oh my god") scattered at random into every sentence, usually by 14 year old girls who aren't taught any better, but hearing it from twenty-somethings I despair for the future of humanity.

Also "fair enough" as a lazy answer to a carefully considered opinion makes me want to wallop the speaker.

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely Multiprinter, I loathe "like" (and "oh my god") scattered at random into every sentence, usually by 14 year old girls who aren't taught any better, but hearing it from twenty-somethings I despair for the future of humanity.

Fair enough

• Like 1

Before people were literate, those few that could read/write tended to spell words the way they heard them. William Shakespeare is thought by some to be the inventor of modern English. He coined a lot of words and started to standardize spelling. Seems to me that the trend is reversing and fewer and fewer people seem to read these days. Therefore they spell things as they hear them and pick up phrases off the telly. Before long English will be reduced to single letter/numeral words as used by texters.

John

• RMweb Gold

The train station vs rail station debate is set to run and run. Use of train station really grates on me. Increasing use in the UK is probably down to lots of American TV on our screens.

I don't think it is really an Americanism - more the sort of childish thing identified above by Coach and from there it slipped effortlessly into Estuary/dumbo English. It is, i'm afraid like lots of words and phrases we suffer from nowadays where somebody who isn't aware of the richness and breadth of our language has to invent a word/phrase etc where a perfectly good one already exists and then through sheer laziness and repetition the lowest common denominator word etc slips into general usage. I understand the term for it is 'dumbing down'.

"Eye wannah press chrages!"

(Usually accompanied by clothing that has NEVER been pressed (or washed!)).

Its always a pleasure to point out they don't press anything, which is usually followed by a torrent of text speak from aforementioned individual.

Still its all part of the service :)

• Like 1

'From the get-go' is one of my current hates, instead of 'from the start'. And on trains, 'we will shortly be arriving into ...' - via a steep tunnel presumably.

Someone earlier didn't like 'Sorry this train/bus is out of service' etc. I saw a nice mix up last week where a train's indicator said 'Nottingham. Sorry'.

I'll have to do some more blue sky thinking out of the box going forward to come up with some more.

• RMweb Premium

It was in use long before then even................... Along with mammy, chucky egg, puff puff, baa lamb and moo cow. If people want to talk infantile, good luck to them.

I think that is being facetious, those examples are more child speak than everyday conversation.

The people I have heard using "train station" were definitely not being infantile even if you wish to bring it to that level.

Maybe we should go back to calling railways railroad or waggonway instead.

Re annoying phrases:

How about the announcements that getting increasingly "sorry" as the delay mounts

Firstly: We are sorry for the delay to the xxxx service.

Then: We are extremely sorry for the delay to the xxxx service. (greater delay)

etc.

I half expect the announcer to say he is going to commit har-kiri when ithe delay exceeds a certain amount.

Keith

One I saw this morning "Free Courtesy Car". Surely if it wasn't free, it could hardly be a "Courtest Car" could it?

Other phrases which get to me are when something is "over exaggerated" and when he/she/they are "tasked" with a particular assignment. I also agree with the Stationmaster about 'affect' and 'effect', there are also suble differences between an 'inquiry' and an 'enquiry'.

A lot of this was covered in a thread about the 'Sad Death of English' not long ago.

• Like 1