Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

• RMweb Premium

Not much more work on the Fowler 3P this week, today I've done all the tank top detail.

post-1643-0-35887900-1522344180_thumb.jpg

The prominent tank fixing bars are etched, as are the lifting brackets. The tank fixing bars perform the same function in the model as they do in full size - check that the tanks are upright and parallel before fitting them.

Fireiron rack on the fireman's side from scrap, water gauge on the driver's side from wire filed flat on one face. The holes near th ecab are for the vent pipes, these will be left until the roof is fitted. The MR style water fillers are very flat, not really worth moulding, they are made from two etched layers with a flattened pin for the T handle. For the 4mm version I ignored the back of the tanks but thought they should be on this 7mm model, they aren't as high as the outside sheets, just underneath the fixing bars, and had to be fitted last since I needed to get the iron to the underside of the tank top to solder all the fittings on - they aren't full depth though, only about 6mm or so. I have put cleading bands on this loco, if it had been for BR livery they would only have been marked and gone on with the lining after painting but this is to be early LMS livery. Cleading band fasteners are etched from thin brass, with a pin through to represent the bolt. The front corners of the firebox are filled in with Plastic Padding and a small radius filed on the corner, a wire stay is soldered in the corner between the boiler and firebox, the filler forms round this so it can't drop out.

We'll have this loco with us at York, although I won't be working on it if anyone wants a closer look. The 4mm 3P will be on display as well.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

For anyone interested in building the 4mm version of the 3P 2-6-2t, the castings and fittings are readily available out there. During my trip to York show last weekend, I managed to find all the parts I need. I have listed the parts required below: -

Alan Gibson

4862 5ft2.5" 16 spoke Driving wheels

4839 3ft3.5" 10 Spoke bogie wheels

4M673 Vacuum Brake Ejector

4M831 Cylinder Drain cocks (These are actually meant for an original Patriot 4-6-0 according to the AG catalogue)

4M613 Dome

4M605 Safety valves on a round base. (I will keep the base but replace the ross pops as they look a little small)

247 Developments

SD2 Smokebox door

CH7 Fowler Tall chimney (for locos with originals cylinders)

BH2 Small Belpaire Backhead

Markits

M4WhistLMf - Fowler Midland whistle

M4SftyV1 - 1 pair tall Ross Pop tall safety valves

M4WaL4.6 Silvertown Lubricator (x2)

Of course I'm sure there're other manufacturers out there who may also produce the same parts, but these are just the ones that I found at York

Andy

Edited by innocentman
  • Like 1

You breeding quality wasps as well then Dave?

Certainly not. I'll be buying some heavy duty wasp spray to deal with the damn things this year. How's your Brush/ Beyer Peacock, Paul? Still a flatpack? :whistle: 

Certainly not. I'll be buying some heavy duty wasp spray to deal with the damn things this year. How's your Brush/ Beyer Peacock, Paul? Still a flatpack? :whistle:

Yep.

Seems a shame to open it seeing as how it's so neatly packed...................

• RMweb Premium

Continuing with the 7mm Fowler 3P

post-1643-0-93014200-1523621006_thumb.jpg

The cab roof fitted well enough, the small gap will be covered by the rainstrip angle, the roof overlaps the sides with a half etch in both.

post-1643-0-44148700-1523621110_thumb.jpg

1mm brass angle forms the rainstrip, soldered on and cleaned up.

post-1643-0-25111700-1523621375_thumb.jpg

Looking up through the hole in the floor, backhead will be left loose for painting, other items fixed in place but there are large openings in the cab side to make Ian's task a bit less difficult.

post-1643-0-24194200-1523621310_thumb.jpg

The etched coal rails fitted well, the overlap at the corner is intentional, soldered together here and filed flush later.

post-1643-0-86342300-1523621474_thumb.jpg

Now for the smokebox door, I couldn't find a casting for this so it's back to pattern making, starting with a disc of laminated plastikard in the outside jaw chuck The tool in use is a boring bar, used here to get inside the protruding chuck jaws.

post-1643-0-13337500-1523621639_thumb.jpg

First machined to the outside diameter, plastikard machines quite well but it's a bit messy.

post-1643-0-99471400-1523621723_thumb.jpg

Second diameter machined, leaving the outer rim.

post-1643-0-75172900-1523621784_thumb.jpg

Dome shape roughed out with the tool, will be finished with files/sanding.

post-1643-0-17503500-1523621898_thumb.jpg

Off the lathe, detail is added with plastikard sheet and strip.

post-1643-0-49076000-1523621965_thumb.jpg

I used to make these from brass but it was much more difficult and time consuming to solder all the detail on.

post-1643-0-02115600-1523622072_thumb.jpg

Next make the mould, the smokebox door is top left, insulating tape wrapped round the disc to contain the rubber. Most moulds are made with patterns stuck to the bench top with double sided tape, a lego box built round them and the rubber poured in, bottom left contains the sandboxes and lubricators for the 3P, the other two are replacement kit moulds. At the back is the 4mm 3P, there was some rubber left over so I built a dam round the chimney with BluTack to mould it - this is the large diameter chimney fitted with new cylinders and outside steampipes, the 7mm model is as built.

That's all for now, last remaining body job machining the chimney and dome - details later.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

[Chimney and dome for this loco are too big for the small Toyo lathe so it was out to the garage and the Milnes - which celebrated its 100th birthday last year (no card from the Queen though).

post-1643-0-73118900-1523897475_thumb.jpg

Brass bar big enough for the largest diameter of the chimney in the three jaw chuck, machined to outside diameter and marked for length with a parting tool, pilot hole with centre drill only at this stage.

post-1643-0-72409700-1523897611_thumb.jpg

Roughed out with the parting tool to middle diameter, stepped where it curves and height to underside of rim set now.

post-1643-0-59508500-1523897716_thumb.jpg

The easiest way to make the curves is with needle files, held very carefully in both hands (one at each end). If a file catches the chuck jaws it can easily be driven through the hand holding it - and this lathe has a 1/2hp motor so it definitely won't stall.

Top diameter turned down as well and the characteristic MR rim shape made with a file.

post-1643-0-81251200-1523897957_thumb.jpg

Bored out to inside diameter, don't leave the walls too thin or they may distort when forming to the boiler.

post-1643-0-12777000-1523898044_thumb.jpg

I do sometimes use a boring bar for this operation but on fairly small jobs the end can be belled out quickly with a hand turning tool.

post-1643-0-93106700-1523898133_thumb.jpg

The finished result, the white plastic sheet under the chuck makes it much easier to see what you are doing here.

post-1643-0-74509700-1523898287_thumb.jpg

The finished chimney after parting off.

post-1643-0-57175600-1523898338_thumb.jpg

The dome is made in the same sequence, finished as far as possible while still attached, The bore is left parallel as far as possible inside so that it can be mounted the other way out on a mandrel to finish the top. Longer parting tool this time as it's a much bigger diameter.

post-1643-0-61143100-1523898508_thumb.jpg

After annealing (heated to red and left to cool) this is how the flare at the bottom is formed by squeezing in a machine vice against a bar of roughly boiler diameter. The sides of the flare will need a little more persuasion by pressing or hammering with a bar of appropriate diameter, if you have to do a lot of work here the brass will harden again so may to be annealed again. Final fitting is done by wrapping thin wet and dry round the boiler and rubbing the chimney up and down it until all the face is sanded.

• Like 8

I love these instructional sequences Mike, great to see how it's done. One day who knows I might get round to starting my own modest workbench thread more in the hope that people will tell me where I'm going wrong.

However I did promise you some photo's of my  Consett A class if I ever finished it. (kit modified slightly to represent South Farne Iron Company No.1)

post-13703-0-93575200-1523908374.jpg

post-13703-0-16728400-1523908396.jpg

Front buffer beam cut down and dumb buffers added from brass strip. Chimney/ dome in lost wax and cab spectacles made up from brass tube. I like my polished brass you see Edwardian splendour and all that.

This is my second etched brass kit and I can heartily recommend this kit it goes together like a dream.

Hope you don't mind me disrupting your thread Mike but I expect kit makers all like to see how their kits turn out. I'm quite proud of how mine turned out.

• Like 16

Amazing to see the detail and stages you go through Mike.

Out of curiosity, what rubber do you use to make the moulds below?

attachicon.gifWP_20180409_21_53_57_Pro.jpg

Next make the mould, the smokebox door is top left, insulating tape wrapped round the disc to contain the rubber. Most moulds are made with patterns stuck to the bench top with double sided tape, a lego box built round them and the rubber poured in, bottom left contains the sandboxes and lubricators for the 3P, the other two are replacement kit moulds. At the back is the 4mm 3P, there was some rubber left over so I built a dam round the chimney with BluTack to mould it - this is the large diameter chimney fitted with new cylinders and outside steampipes, the 7mm model is as built.

That's all for now, last remaining body job machining the chimney and dome - details later.

• RMweb Premium

I love these instructional sequences Mike, great to see how it's done. One day who knows I might get round to starting my own modest workbench thread more in the hope that people will tell me where I'm going wrong.

However I did promise you some photo's of my  Consett A class if I ever finished it. (kit modified slightly to represent South Farne Iron Company No.1)

attachicon.gifDSC01695.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC01703.jpg

Front buffer beam cut down and dumb buffers added from brass strip. Chimney/ dome in lost wax and cab spectacles made up from brass tube. I like my polished brass you see Edwardian splendour and all that.

This is my second etched brass kit and I can heartily recommend this kit it goes together like a dream.

Hope you don't mind me disrupting your thread Mike but I expect kit makers all like to see how their kits turn out. I'm quite proud of how mine turned out.

You're not disrupting at all, this thread is about our kits and you've done a fine job with this one.

• RMweb Premium

[Chimney and dome for this loco are too big for the small Toyo lathe so it was out to the garage and the Milnes - which celebrated its 100th birthday last year (no card from the Queen though).

attachicon.gifWP_20180411_13_55_00_Pro.jpg

Brass bar big enough for the largest diameter of the chimney in the three jaw chuck, machined to outside diameter and marked for length with a parting tool, pilot hole with centre drill only at this stage.

attachicon.gifWP_20180411_13_59_47_Pro.jpg

Roughed out with the parting tool to middle diameter, stepped where it curves and height to underside of rim set now.

attachicon.gifWP_20180411_14_13_21_Pro.jpg

The easiest way to make the curves is with needle files, held very carefully in both hands (one at each end). If a file catches the chuck jaws it can easily be driven through the hand holding it - and this lathe has a 1/2hp motor so it definitely won't stall.

Top diameter turned down as well and the characteristic MR rim shape made with a file.

attachicon.gifWP_20180411_14_14_41_Pro.jpg

Bored out to inside diameter, don't leave the walls too thin or they may distort when forming to the boiler.

attachicon.gifWP_20180411_14_15_19_Pro.jpg

I do sometimes use a boring bar for this operation but on fairly small jobs the end can be belled out quickly with a hand turning tool.

attachicon.gifWP_20180411_14_17_03_Pro.jpg

The finished result, the white plastic sheet under the chuck makes it much easier to see what you are doing here.

attachicon.gifWP_20180411_14_18_12_Pro.jpg

The finished chimney after parting off.

attachicon.gifWP_20180411_14_37_24_Pro.jpg

The dome is made in the same sequence, finished as far as possible while still attached, The bore is left parallel as far as possible inside so that it can be mounted the other way out on a mandrel to finish the top. Longer parting tool this time as it's a much bigger diameter.

attachicon.gifWP_20180411_15_12_17_Pro.jpg

After annealing (heated to red and left to cool) this is how the flare at the bottom is formed by squeezing in a machine vice against a bar of roughly boiler diameter. The sides of the flare will need a little more persuasion by pressing or hammering with a bar of appropriate diameter, if you have to do a lot of work here the brass will harden again so may to be annealed again. Final fitting is done by wrapping thin wet and dry round the boiler and rubbing the chimney up and down it until all the face is sanded.

Thanks for posting those Mike. You make it look easy!

I have never turned a chimney or dome but I have a lathe and have some I need to have a go at, so that is most helpful.

Tony

• Like 1

attachicon.gifDSC01695.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC01703.jpg

Very nice! Is the livery is fictional?  I just happen to have bought one of these kits last Saturday so I'm quite interested in these locomotives at the moment.

No Ruston the livery is factual, the South Farne Iron Company, although it is not widely known, was situated on the South Farne Islands just off the coast from Middlesbrough and the county of Durham. The paint is the exact formulation as used  on the 3rd Aug 1913 11.30am approx. I'm fastidious about such things.

Should you wish to reproduce the above livery, Phoenix Precision Paints market South Farne Iron Company Crimson as Midland Crimson Lake.

Unbelievably lucky paint match that. :superstition:

Earlier in this thread BarryO posted a very nice photo of a weathered loco painted by himself and built if I remember rightly by the man himself Mike Edge. Well worth a look and I venture to suggest maybe a more accurate rendition of what a Consett A class really looked like.

Edited by Iain Popplewell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike built and painted it. I was "lent" some colour  photos 

post-7650-0-21674900-1523995228_thumb.jpg

add some inks and powders

post-7650-0-30188600-1523995274_thumb.jpg

and Bob is your uncle

post-7650-0-17321500-1523995287_thumb.jpg

Nice loco, lovely paint job and nice to have a happy client

post-7650-0-54925800-1523995253_thumb.jpg

But you can paint one of these (in NCB days) in light blue!

I too have a kit just need to get on and build it!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 6