Newcastle Model Rail Exhibition

shortliner

• 5 weeks later...

The North of England Line will be there with three RMwebbers, Myself, Geoff (GJB60009), Rich (Rich B ), and also Keith so come and say hello. Eighteen great layouts for a fiver (plus the unknown traders!). Not bad value in my book. Have a great time everyone.

Traders at Newcastle (from the floorplan, so not in alphabetical order):

Blacksmith Models

Derby Trees

Modelmaster

Judith Edge

Nick Tozer

Rob Mellor

Unit Models

Grosmont Books

Cambrian Models

Flangeway

Dave Alexander

Dave Poole

Contikits

Townfoot

Layouts4U

Finishing Touches

Videoscene

Durham Trains

NairnshireModel Supplies

BR Lines

Triangman

John Owens

Mike Fishwick

HIgh Level KIts

plus a few Societies.

Barry,

Cambrian Models

Just a quick bump to remind people it's this weekend.

We're about to get the van and start loading NOEL, but it's breakfast at Morrisons first. (Got to start filling up so that I've got something to soak up all the Guinness that will be flowing tonight!)

Visited the show late afternoon today and was only there 20 minutes - very disappointed. There were very few punters in the hall and on two layouts I saw nothing moving as there were no operators around! Poor showing indeed.

My wife couldn't even get a cup of coffee as Stadium cafe staff had already cleaned their equipment!

Sorry but I cannot recommend this show.

David

Visited yesterday, arrived at 11:00 and the main hall was very busy but still with plenty of room. Overall my son and I enjoyed the layouts, he even started to understand the movements on Stainmore Summit! We got everything we wanted from the trade and the new catering arrangements with plenty of space were good.

We enjoyed the show, stayed a few hours and would recommend it.

Paul

I visited the show yesterday, late afternoon (around 4ish), it was fairly quiet, but that gave ample opportunity to view the excellent layouts. I especially enjoyed Stainmore Summit, Fence Houses, Billingham and Loughborough.

This is the 3rd time I have travelled north to visit this exhibition, and from this showing I will be back.

Karl

• RMweb Gold

I spent 6 hours there yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. There were so many good layouts it would be invidious to mention them individually, but every layout was worthy of study. I also managed to buy everything on my shopping list - which I think is a first - as well as a couple of cheap books from the NERA.

It was also nice to meet old friends from the group I used to exhibit with in the 80s (the erstwhile Blyth 61172 Association).

A pleasant cafe run by the centre, a good lasagne for lunch.

I've no real criticisms, I know from personal experience the problems layouts can develop which cause a lack of train movement. I've also worked for various traders over the years at exhibitions so I can understand why it can take a while to be served and why they can't just stop serving others for a nice chat - after all they are trying to make a living!

David

I was there for a few hours today and had a great time plenty of nice layouts to watch (Stainmore and Billigham spring to mind) with a good selection of traders - came away with everything on my shopping list and a few extras too. Can't wait for next years.

• RMweb Gold

Great photos Jon, it seems that I spoke to the legendary Shortliner without knowing it! and by the look of the order of the wagons on Croft Depot, I was operating it at the time... and was inducted as a passed driver and presented with a scone with jam...

The consensus from the NoEL team was that this was one of the better medium sized shows with excellent layouts backed up with an impressive trade presence.

Apart from the usual Saturday morning gremlins (we think that they may have appeared due to the coldness of the hall overnight) and the usual operator errors (very frustrating) the layout performed well, and had a good crowd throughout, with many compliments from the friendly audience.

There were so many great layouts that it would be unfair to select a stand out, but I personally enjoyed Billingham, Midhurst, Cripps Bottom Yard and Fence Houses.

I must also thank Simon (Mr.S.Corn78) for the repair to our class 47 that was running like a bag of spanners!

Purchases included a Farish V2 for £50, a Union Mills J25 for £60 and Yeadons register for classes Q1 to Q4. Not bad as I was determined not to spend anything!

Thanks to all concerned for a great weekend.

Mike

The consensus from the NoEL team was that this was one of the better medium sized shows with excellent layouts backed up with an impressive trade presence.

Apart from the usual Saturday morning gremlins (we think that they may have appeared due to the coldness of the hall overnight) and the usual operator errors (very frustrating) the layout performed well, and had a good crowd throughout, with many compliments from the friendly audience.

There were so many great layouts that it would be unfair to select a stand out, but I personally enjoyed Billingham, Midhurst, Cripps Bottom Yard and Fence Houses.

I must also thank Simon (Mrscorn) for the repair to our class 47 that was running like a bag of spanners!

Purchases included a Farish V2 for £50, a Union Mills J25 for £60 and Yeadons register for classes Q1 to Q4. Not bad as I was determined not to spend anything!

Thanks to all concerned for a great weekend.

Mike

All very good Mike but what about the Guinness !!!

silverlink

Archived