Advance Notice re DEMU Showcase 2012

johnb

DEMU Showcase 2012

DEMU are pleased to announce that:-

The 2012 DEMU Showcase exhibition will take place on 2 and 3 June 2012 at Burton upon Trent Town Hall. DEMU Showcase is the premier UK exhibition dedicated to diesel and electric modelling.

The Town Hall is situated very close to the railway station in Burton upon Trent and the post code is DE14 2EB.

Updates will be provided on the DEMU webpage as information becomes available.

http://www.demu.org.uk/showcase.php

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just updated the Showcase with some of the confirmed layouts for Showcase as follows:

• Brenton Midland - OO FS, 2000 - present day
  • Connaught Road
  • Georgemas Junction - OO, 1997-2004, Scotland (Far North Line)
  • Kinlet Wharf - N, West Coast Mainline
  • Leavesden (Kent) - O, late 1980s - early 1990s, Network South East 3rd rail. Leavesden is a fictious location on the outskirts of Biggin Hill and is the station serving Biggin Hill International airport. There are four platforms which are served by various electric units. 40 ft x 2 ft 6
  • Newhaven Harbour - OO, mid-1970s, BR Southern Region
  • Parkhouse - N, 1977-1979, BR Blue in North Staffordshire
  • Warren Lane - OO, 2005 - 2009 Freightliner Terminal by Alan Bevan and Maggie Clark. An OO gauge freightliner terminal, set in East Anglia with two working Gantry cranes. www.warrenlane.co.uk
  • Waterloo Street - P4, BR Blue late 1970s - early 1980s. Waterloo Street is inspired by the Waterloo Goods branch in Aberdeen.
  • Waton - N, present day. Based loosely on Water Orton, Waton challenges N gauge conventions with its handbuilt track. Waton was a clear winner in the 2010 RMWeb layout challenge.

More details will be posted to the DEMU website as they are confirmed: http://www.demu.org.uk/showcase.php

Cheers, Mike

• 2 months later...

We now have the final confirmed list of layouts and traders for DEMU Showcase 2012. You can find more information on the DEMU website here including a tentative floor plan of the show.

Layouts

• Brenton Midland
  • Connaught Road
  • Embankment Road
  • Georgemas Junction
  • Kinlet Wharf
  • Leavesden (Kent)
  • Meopham East Junction
  • Newhaven Harbour
  • Outon Road
  • Parkhouse
  • Warren Lane
  • Waterloo Street
  • Waton

Traders

• A1 Models
  • ABC Workshops
  • B&H Enterprises
  • Booklaw/Santona Publishing
  • Bratchell Models
  • C Rail
  • DCC Supplies
  • Ten Commandments
  • DC Kits
  • Howard Loftus Books
  • Loughborough Model Centre
  • MB Models
  • Modellers Mate
  • Modern Structures in Miniature
  • N Brass
  • N Train
  • Judith Edge
  • P&H Models
  • Railroom Electronics
  • Realtrack Models
  • Shawplan
  • Replica Railways

Manufacturers, Magazines and Societies

• Hornby
  • Dapol
  • Bachmann
  • Rail Express
  • Scalefour Society

Demos

• Flat bottomed trackwork and bogie modelling
  • Etch design and resin casting
  • Large scale diesel modelling
  • DCC Workshop
  • 3D Modelling and Printing
  • How to prepare and upload content to the DEMU Wiki

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some links to websites/topics on some of the layouts that will be appearing at Showcase in 3 weeks:

A bit of bad news - unfortunately Steve Farmer has been unwell and has had to withdraw Parkhouse. We all wish Steve a speedy recovery.

Cheers, Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Less than 2 weeks to go now before DEMU Showcase!

We have some good news in that the EM Gauge Society will be taking the space vacated by Parkhouse.

As one of the organisers I'm really looking forward to this year's exhibition and hoping it doesn't all go tits up... so please come along! ;)

Cheers,

Guy

Thanks for the support Mick and Simon. I'm looking forward to meeting members who are not just the London Area Group! Please come and say hi if you have a chance.

Tonight, Mike and I finished stuffing all the packs for traders and exhibitors and have been chatting over a pint about forthcoming showcases. 2014 is our 20th anniversary as a society and 2015 our 21st. We are keen to do do something special on one or other of these years so please watch this space for announcements.

Any ideas about how to make (keep?) Showcase the premier D&E exhibition in the country are very welcome (we've got several!).

Guy

Showcase 2012 Co-Organiser

Really looking forward to this one Guy. Your line up this year is superb. Warren Lane, Waton, and Outon Road all at one event ticks all the boxes for me.

I see you also mention a 3D printing demo? I'm certainly interested in seeing that.

As I have a "lads night out" on Friday, it looks like I'll be coming over on Sunday! Hopefully I've recovered by then.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to the trip to DEMU with Waton. Today is stock cleaning day. Yeuk!

Now a plea for help!

Due to the long bank holiday several of my usual operating team are unavailable due to last minute changes to work shifts leaving me short of an operator. I have a spare pair of hands for Saturday but currently I'm on my lonesome for Sunday. If anyone was considering coming along and fancies a day playing trains, albeit very small ones, feel free to PM me. Sunday is the real problem but I can accomodate an extra on Saturday as well if anyone is so inclined.

Cheers

Dave

Almost arranged my transport to Burton. Should be there Saturday.

Cheers,

Mick

Good you can come and play on Georgemas Junction, ( if you remember that it is DC and you have to make your own sounds :locomotive: )

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold

Really looking forward to this one Guy. Your line up this year is superb. Warren Lane, Waton, and Outon Road all at one event ticks all the boxes for me.

We aim to please!

Due to the long bank holiday several of my usual operating team are unavailable due to last minute changes to work shifts leaving me short of an operator. I have a spare pair of hands for Saturday but currently I'm on my lonesome for Sunday.

Hi Dave

If you get really stuck then I would like a play to operate!

Cheers, Mike

Another one of these pesky Showcase organisers!

• RMweb Premium

Good you can come and play on Georgemas Junction, ( if you remember that it is DC and you have to make your own sounds :locomotive: )

Nobby (John)

You need at least one extra operator to cover for George when he's not there. Sorry - can't make all day...... :locomotive:

Don't worry about sound, I'll bring one of my locos that works on analogue.

Cheers,

Mick

Some links to websites/topics on some of the layouts that will be appearing at Showcase in 3 weeks:

A bit of bad news - unfortunately Steve Farmer has been unwell and has had to withdraw Parkhouse. We all wish Steve a speedy recovery.

Cheers, Mike

A more up to date video of Outon Road

Cav

Looking forward to attending Showcase this weekend. It will be the first time since 2006 that I will be able to enjoy the show as a punter and not an organiser.

I will be on the Shawplan / EE stand over the weekend with the usual suspects so if you feel in the need to offload some folding stuff with the UK's Premier designer and stockist of Extreme Etches and Laserglaze please come and say hello. (end of plug :derisive: )

Pete

I see you also mention a 3D printing demo? I'm certainly interested in seeing that.

I'll be there both days pretending to know what I'm doing behind Kinlet Wharf, the show looks excellent. I will bring my box of 3D printed odds and sods, in case they are of interest.. this one,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/351/entry-9454-shapeways-arrival-class-139-with-windows/

the little Class 139 railcar, will (chassis allowing.. if it behaves) be performing along the branchline along the back of the 'Wharf.

See you all at the weekend... :)

Hello

As mentioned above Georgemas Jct will be at Showcase this coming weekend and the Wrecking Crew will be on hand to entertain visitors. Sorry no videos of the layout but that is a technology too far for the likes of me; best if you come and see it in the flesh so to speak. This is the layout's last appearance this year so make the most of it also the rest of this wonderful event.

Cheers

George

• RMweb Premium

Something to bear in mind which I haven't seen mentioned yet is that East Staffs Borough Council are now charging to use the car park. I help organise the 7mm Narrow Gauge show the week after DEMU and we have put 'Free Parking' on all of our publicity. I understand that it's a pound or two for a few hours to a maximum of about four pounds. Seems like they want to attract those wanting to use the station over the road. We have managed to secure a number of free tickets for our exhibitors and traders but I'm expecting a lot of moaning from our members :nono:

Apart from this, I hope you guys (and gals) have a great show - not really my scene though :no:

Mike

I'll be there as a kind of 'offical' snapper to take some report pics for the DEMU 'UPDate'

magazine, so hope to see you all there.

Don't forget to pick up a copy of the ShowCase ShowGuide designed by DEMU and printed

by Mortons (Rail Express/Rail Express Modeller).

G

showcaseguidecover.jpg

Just going through the final preparations for the show before heading up to Burton tomorrow.

If you can make it to Burton, it promises to be a fine show indeed with some of the best contemporary D&E modelling.

Despite stewarding and a stint on the door I'm hoping to find time to give a 3D modelling demo in the after-lunch (aka graveyard!) slot. I'm looking forward to meeting some new faces as well as the usual crowd. Please come and say hi!

• RMweb Premium

Something to bear in mind which I haven't seen mentioned yet is that East Staffs Borough Council are now charging to use the car park. I help organise the 7mm Narrow Gauge show the week after DEMU and we have put 'Free Parking' on all of our publicity. I understand that it's a pound or two for a few hours to a maximum of about four pounds. Seems like they want to attract those wanting to use the station over the road. We have managed to secure a number of free tickets for our exhibitors and traders but I'm expecting a lot of moaning from our members :nono:

Apart from this, I hope you guys (and gals) have a great show - not really my scene though :no:

Mike

Mike. You need to broaden your horizon and not be so Narrow minded.

Only joking...

See you at the 7mm NGA event and I will you in with what you missed at DEMU

Kind regards. Eltel

Archived