Arriva buys Grand Central

What a shame, Vulcan and myself used them last November for the short hop between Halifax and Wakefield to visit a certain show pub there. (We actually didnt get to the show on the Saturday) We will be using them again this year for the same trip.

Found them so good. service was brilliant and the train manager, a sikh with the broadest Brat'ford accent you have ever heard was a scream and service personified. What amused us was that they seemed to stop at every signal post between Bradford and Donny, then non stop to the smoke, which caused us to re-christen them "Yorkshire railways" with hats tipped inthe direction of the brilliant Hale and Pace Yorkshire Airways sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPjJFv1NDBg

Hope they dont change too much!

You have to wonder if there is any future for independent open access operators in the current climate. Their only future at the moment seems to be to allow the existing big operators to get a toehold in a rival's territory - which is surely not what was intended?

Their only future at the moment seems to be to allow the existing big operators to get a toehold in a rival's territory - which is surely not what was intended?

Quite

I suppose on the plus side it says they don't plan to change anything....but I think you can reasonably hang an unspoken big fat "yet" on the end of that quote!

Hmmmm... Sister companies with access to Class 67s and MkIII LHCS that's popular not just with passengers, but also the MD, Tom Clift... One sister, Chiltern, already using these in anger on the Birmingham expresses. Expensive-to-run mixed fleet of leased HST and 180 -vs- tame loco-hauled sets from the company stable? Interesting times.

That's a bonus then - of a sort. Looks like the existing arrangement of Adelante and MTU power until 2016 is here to stay!

EDIT: as an aside, catch the Newton Heath 180s while you can, anyone who's interested. One unit's already stood down ahead of its planned 19/11 off-lease, the others are planned to go one and two weeks later respectively.

• RMweb Premium

That's a bonus then - of a sort. Looks like the existing arrangement of Adelante and MTU power until 2016 is here to stay!

EDIT: as an aside, catch the Newton Heath 180s while you can, anyone who's interested. One unit's already stood down ahead of its planned 19/11 off-lease, the others are planned to go one and two weeks later respectively.

Staying aside - due to the unpopularity of the 180's at NH - they'll probably get rid of them sooner than that if they can. There are about 10 ex-Centro and London Midland 150's already moved in, with another 8 to come shortly.

Cheers,

Mick

Tyseley's finest have not been well received at NH. (One assumes) a falling-off in cleaning diligence and periods stood idle for a few units, has led to an infestation of creepy-crawlies that needs to be addressed before some are released to traffic :O

• RMweb Gold

What a shame, Vulcan and myself used them last November for the short hop between Halifax and Wakefield to visit a certain show pub there. (We actually didnt get to the show on the Saturday) We will be using them again this year for the same trip.

Found them so good. service was brilliant and the train manager, a sikh with the broadest Brat'ford accent you have ever heard was a scream and service personified. What amused us was that they seemed to stop at every signal post between Bradford and Donny, then non stop to the smoke, which caused us to re-christen them "Yorkshire railways" with hats tipped inthe direction of the brilliant Hale and Pace Yorkshire Airways sketch:

Hope they dont change too much!

So that's where Ryanair got their business ideas from?

I quite liked the stealth livery; I suppose that will go?

P

No need to believe it will, Arriva as a brand only features heavily in Wales. It's absent from the CrossCountry image, and last time I looked it didn't appear on LNWR's premises either, at least not prominently. I think GC have established something strong in that identity - anyone visiting their HQ would be struck by this - and I expect it will stay.

I guess this means we can say goodbye to the adequate leg-room, seats which line up with windows, buffet car, reasonably-priced walk-up fares, carriages without noisy engines underneath, etc. etc...

On the plus side, hopefully Arriva will have the clout to face up to East Coast and get some decent paths. Whenever I get the 0820 from York to London, which is supposed to be non-stop, it gets looped south of Grantham and slows to a crawl to let a stopping EC service overtake! I think we know who's wearing the trousers on this "competitive" railway line...

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Gold

Interesting news. The statement says the current MD will stay and basically GC will be as it is now, just with new owners (and more cash). Given that Arriva are owned by DB, they now have a lot of trains running in this country!

David

I would have been very surprised if it had said that the MD was not staying - in respect of GC's senior management it is instructive to be aware of where and with whom they have worked in past jobs ;) (some parts of 'the railway' are still a small world).

On the plus side, hopefully Arriva will have the clout to face up to East Coast and get some decent paths. Whenever I get the 0820 from York to London, which is supposed to be non-stop, it gets looped south of Grantham and slows to a crawl to let a stopping EC service overtake! I think we know who's wearing the trousers on this "competitive" railway line...

Cheers,

Will

There are theories about the pathing on the ECML, with NR being a not for profit organisation, East Coast Trains being a trading name for DOR - the government organisation that is a part of the Dept. of Transport, who also have a hand in NR! :bomb_mini:

• RMweb Gold

There are theories about the pathing on the ECML, with NR being a not for profit organisation, East Coast Trains being a trading name for DOR - the government organisation that is a part of the Dept. of Transport, who also have a hand in NR! :bomb_mini:

It is far, far more complex than that. Firstly ECML has effectively become the flag bearer for open access (because the business opportunities are there), secondly the main franchised operator has, whoever holds the franchise, to produce consistent and continuing evidence of core route growth for a variety of reasons, thirdly line capacity constraints ( a feature, in various ways, of the ECML since Ivatt's time) are going to always play a potentially significant role, and finally constrained terminal capacity at the southern end of the route is bound to have had a significant impact on the way capacity is used/allocated. I don't necessarily think that the way capacity has been dished out following various NR studies is the optimum answer but for all that it has to be recognised as what it is - a compromise born of a series of constraints and business compromises (and not because some organisation is beholden to another - I'm sorry but that sort of argument doesn't wash nowadays).

A possible idea is that they (DB) are intending building up the GC brand. It may be that they are looking at getting the EC franchise and then selling on GC.

I think that the franchises should be like Scotland that has a standard livery and only the franchise owners name changes.

As I have said in the past the GNER and GC liveries are the most practical rail paint schemes currently on line. On friday I got a silver EC and the ends show up the muck whereas there was a GNER blue set next to me and the same muck doesn't show.

Archived