a1 partwork Flying Scotsman

Copy of my parts list as requested.

Donald

Thanks Donald I have printed it out saves me going back and forth looking through books..

Does anyone know or have knowledge of the Flying Scotsmans original Number of 1472 (in 1923) before it was changed to 4472

renumbered 103 then renumbered 60103 this not any reference to 1564 but some documented writing to indicate it was 1472

when it was built..

Ted

fs number.rtf

Be prepared for an overwhelming amount of Flying Scotsman pictures... laugh.gif

Umm, wot does this mean exactly, does anyone know? Does it mean we DONT GET a set of six coaches to go behind poor Scotty in issue 125? blink.gif

Thanks Donald I have printed it out saves me going back and forth looking through books..

Does anyone know or have knowledge of the Flying Scotsmans original Number of 1472 (in 1923) before it was changed to 4472

renumbered 103 then renumbered 60103 this not any reference to 1564 but some documented writing to indicate it was 1472

when it was built..

Ted

Your getting the works number confused with the loco number, from birth the works number for 4472 has always been 1564 which did not alter, it is the loco number that changed, as you say 1472, 60103, 4472

Hey Bushy

part 98 is about building the love me tender..I am sure you can figure out where the bits go they are the gaurd

irons the rest, is making sure the chassis fits inside the body have fun.

Ted.

Thanks Ted,

You have put wots left of my mind greatly at ease!wink.gif

Bushrat

Lot 213 A Locomotive Worksplate, "LONDON & NORTH EASTERN RAILWAY Co, No 1564, DONCASTER 1923", from arguably the most famous locomotive of them all "FLYING SCOTSMAN", built by the LNER in February 1923 as an A1 Class 4-6-2 and rebuilt as an A3 in January 1947. It was fitted with a double chimney in January 1959 and German smoke deflectors in December 1961. Always a Southern Area engine, it started life at Doncaster then moved to Kings Cross, back to Doncaster, New England, Gorton, further spells at Kings Cross, New England and Doncaster, then a period in the early 1950s on the GC at Leicester and finally alternated between Grantham and Kings Cross from where it was withdrawn in January 1963. The rest, as they say, is history. 13_"x75/8", in ex loco condition with all the usual marks on the back and numbers 103 and 4472 stamped in several places. - Sold for £16000

And as it is said "The rest is history"

when it was built..

Ted

pecksniff,

have a look at mess. #506 on page 21.

OzzyO.

I don't think we will get much response from Hachett about the incorrect number, because I suspect they have done it on purpose. This partwork is aimed at the general public, and not just railway enthusiasts. The uninformed public will expect the works plate to show the loco's number, not some, to them, unknown number that appears no where else. To some one not familiar with the difference between works number and loco number the loco number on the works plate may not seem wrong.Perhaps they should have done it corretcly and explained the difference in the magazine.But given the quality of the magazine content that may be expecting too much.

In which case the public might at least expect the works plate to show the number 4472, but it actually says 4471 :lol:

Maybe ths was a discreet ploy to differentiate the Hachette supplied model from an actual DJH version?

What no taker's, hope he's prepared for a serious loss if he wants to get rid :lol:

Seriously deluded if he think's its worth anything like silly money, its still at £75 above the cost to buy the complete series :blink:

I'd hazard a guess it will only attract bidding interest way below the £100 mark :rolleyes:

What no taker's, hope he's prepared for a serious loss if he wants to get rid laugh.gif

Seriously deluded if he think's its worth anything like silly money, its still at £75 above the cost to buy the complete series blink.gif

I'd hazard a guess it will only attract bidding interest way below the £100 mark rolleyes.gif

Given that it is superglued (which means it will come apart fairly easily), at least two or three hundred pounds would be a fairer price for a kit of parts for a 7mm tender locomotive. Petraps describing it as "...an ambitious project for me as I have never attempted to build a kit of this type..." is not an ideal marketing approach, but it is unlikely that it is beyond redemption. If this is the case, then anyone getting it for less than one hundred pounds is going to secure a real bargain!

Regards, Stan Owen

Talking about number plates etc...

The Tender should have a number plate on the front of the Tender which was 5323 when paired with 4472 in April 1928 prior to 4472's inaugural run.

Seems this has not been supplied.

Given that it is superglued (which means it will come apart fairly easily), at least two or three hundred pounds would be a fairer price for a kit of parts for a 7mm tender locomotive...describing it as "...an ambitious project..." is not an ideal marketing approach, but it is unlikely that it is beyond redemption. If this is the case, then anyone getting it for less than one hundred pounds is going to secure a real bargain!

As you say, Stan, at £100, this would be a bargain in anyone's money, but for the £700 he's asking, I'd need a bit more information, and a fully finished kit at that.

this was a ambitios project for me as i have never attempted to build a kit of this type i not into steam locos i am modern image collector from the picture it looks good but a few faults need to be sorted out it comes with all 125 issues and the remaining pieces plus transfers to complete no transfers for the driving wheelsthankyou

Leaving aside the spelling and grammar (although "ambitios" is a bit ironic!), the bit that I've highlighted isn't exactly talking the price up, is it? However, he may well have made a very nice (superglued) attempt at the kit, but one small photo isn't enough to convince me to bid...

Having read the comments and criticism's regarding the works plates a few weeks ago, I thought it was worth recording that Hachette have obviously taken note since when my final two magazines arrived this week by post, the works plates received show the correct works number 1564 and look pretty much like the photos of the plates posted on 25 May.

Can you post a photo so that those wanting replacements who bought via newsagents can contact Hachette with substance to ask for replacements?

I tried to take a pic, but our camera has given up the ghost. Nothing else gives a clear enough picture. I'll try again later.

Thanks it would be very useful, but it now seems the Tender is missing its 5323 number plate too, which should be located above the coal grate!

I see the eBay seller has re-listed his Scotsman, now at £625, its going to cost him more in eBay listing fee's than it's worth :lol:

Archived