The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

11 Collar Doves (8 more than at any other time for years) and a new influx of Blackbirds. Not a lot of ice here and hardly any snow thank goodness. I put warm water in the water dishes and the Starlings and B Birds seem to be enjoying that for bathing despite it being very cold airwise. I think the Sparrows must have died as there are only about 6 around today; I hope not. Couple of Dunnocks and a Robin. I saw a few Fieldfare locally on Saturday but not in the garden.

Lardy Balls are disappearing rapidly and further supplies are needed.

Phil

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Probably cold and hungry... give it a snack ;)

It had lamb chop bones for tea last night, probably expecting seconds.

Edit, and it eats the bread we put out for the birds if any left at night (seeded wholegrain, only the best, and home made)

Edited by dhjgreen
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It had lamb chop bones for tea last night, probably expecting seconds.

Edit, and it eats the bread we put out for the birds if any left at night (seeded wholegrain, only the best, and home made)

Must be very hungry then. No worms available as they are frozen underground probably. Try decent dog food if you are feeling generous.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I put warm water in the water dishes and the Starlings and B Birds seem to be enjoying that for bathing despite it being very cold airwise. 

Top tip Phil, did the same and by the time I got back in four sparrows enjoying a bath!  Cheers

The rat is enjoying the fat tube we bought in Wells on Saturday, I've not seen it but the evidence is there with the teeth marks it left behind.

Quite a few scuffles today mainly between the Goldfinches and the Sparrows over who owns the feeders nearest the kitchen.  Mr Blackcap is thoroughly enjoying the distraction and having a feed off every type of food we have available, whilst the fighting goes on.

PS:  Filled all the feeders to the brim, tonight's going to be a cold one, so there's plenty available for tea, breakfast and beyond.

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Must be very hungry then. No worms available as they are frozen underground probably. Try decent dog food if you are feeling generous.

Phil

He actually looks well fed, unlike the mangy critters we used to get.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We had a rather large Fieldfare visiting today (possibly 2?) Had a good look around but didn't stay long.

Not something we see very often.

Didn't go to the food sources the Blackbirds and Thrushes are currently using - nice red berries in the hedge.

Keith

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

We had a rather large Fieldfare visiting today (possibly 2?) Had a good look around but didn't stay long.

Not something we see very often.

Didn't go to the food sources the Blackbirds and Thrushes are currently using - nice red berries in the hedge.

Keith

Our Crab Apple Tree is almost stripped. I suspect there is an influx of B Birds from over the North Sea where it has been very cold lately.

Phreezing

• Like 2