The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, dhjgreen said:

Wow, just wow!! A treecreeper on our  Oak tree today.  It is about 40 years old and is 50 ft away from the house.

That is amazing....a forty year old Treecreeper :D

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Funny 3

I’m reasonable at identifying birds by sight but rubbish when it comes to song.

There was bird in the hedge behind our garden this afternoon that make a snipping sound like scissors but we couldn’t see it.

Any suggestions as to what it might have been?

Thanks

steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, steve1 said:

There was bird in the hedge behind our garden this afternoon that make a snipping sound like scissors but we couldn’t see it.

Thanks

steve

Could be a nuthatch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/06/2020 at 21:30, steve1 said:

Thanks

steve

Dunnock?

• Like 2

On 27/06/2020 at 21:30, steve1 said:

Thanks

steve

Robins make that alert warning sound when cats are in the vicinity, and Wrens have a similar warning although a little higher pitched and faster. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/06/2020 at 16:19, Barry Ten said:

Some long tailed tits (and a blue tit crashing the party):

I never see long tailed tits at this time of year, they turn up on my feeders over winter and early spring.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Reorte said:

I never see long tailed tits at this time of year, they turn up on my feeders over winter and early spring.

That's been the pattern with us in previous years as well, but for some reason they've stuck around this time. We've also

seen far more of the bullfinches throughout the year - again I tend to associate them with winter, not all year round.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A willow warbler fed briefly in the tree outside my flat this morning, fortunately attracting my attention by a couple of brief bursts of song.  They don't breed nearby so it looks like autumn has begun.

• Like 2

I reported earlier this year an attempt by a fox to get a magpie that was newly fledged. I didn't think it was succesful.

Whether it was or not, the magpies have had a good year; over the weekend and yesterday i spotted 8 magpies at one go in the garden trees or on the fence, or on the roofs of the houses. That's even further than the rhyme takes me!

They seem to rub along together so i am guessing they are all related - perhaps parents plus one or two broods. They're certainly noisy!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A few years ago a young magpie hereabouts was not so lucky. It had been caught by a cat and despite the noise and fuss being created by the parents the cat was calmly walking away with its victim firmly clamped in its mouth. 

• 2 weeks later...