Heljan Class 16

Sulzer

Shame, no plain green example other than the glossy effort. I went for SYP weathered.

Its a strange one as Kernow have batch numbers 1600 to 1603 available to pre-order, 1600 being D8400 in plain green(not gloss). Hattons have batch numbers 1601 to 1605 where 1604 is D8409 in gloss plain green. Its strange that Hattons dont have 1600 in their list and Kernow don't have 1604 and 1605. I've obviously been looking to hard when trying to decide on the ones I want, has anyone else noticed this?

This is the official listing for the first batch:

1600 D8400 green/grey roof

1601 D8401 green/small yellow panel

1602 D8404 green/SF style yellow panels

1603 D8407 green/full yellow ends

1604 D8409 green/grey roof GLOSS

1605 D8405 green/small yellow ends WEATHERED

-

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The apparent ducket and corridor door two windows down the coach side makes it either a P3 D.2123 BTK or Porthole D.2161 BTK, the round toilet window makes it the latter with little doubt and the deeper bodyside than end just comfirms it.

• 7 months later...

On display at Warley was what looked like a test assembly. I make no claims to expertise on 16s but the general proportions, overall louvredness, spoked wheels etc. lent a general air of conviction to it. My gaze was mostly directed at the Baby Deltic in original oh-so-flaky-engine condition, but once I have that, there may be a space somewhere for an NBL shortly-to-be-scrap-metal type 1 to join the various other shortlived pilot scheme failures of which there were a plenitude hovering in the KX area...

From another thread:

These are a few shots I took of the first engineering prototype whilst being tested on my layout. There were a few errors which have now been sorted and the one we see shown at Warley is the third EP which has now been passed for production subject to rectification of two minor body issues.

I have put these on here to give you a better idea of what detail is in the grilles etc.

Please excuse the dust and the dead ladybird on the track!!

post-4697-0-77677500-1354046360.jpg

post-4697-0-11789700-1354046381.jpg

post-4697-0-75570000-1354046409.jpg

post-4697-0-81489700-1354046452.jpg

post-4697-0-04752100-1354046522.jpg

• Like 12

An oddity that I have just noticed while studying prototype photos and comparing them to the Heljan model. I've looked at about 40 Class 16 photos and the following seems to hold true.

On the prototype the bottom edges of the sliding cab side windows on the left and right sides appear to be different! Assuming your left and right as you look towards the cooling group end:

One the left side of the cab, the bottom edges of the cab end windows, sliding cab side windows, and door window all appear to have bottom edges that line up. This looks like the Heljan Class 16.

c. 1959 - Temple Mills Yard by 53A Models, on Flickr

On the right side, it appears that the sliding cab side windows are deeper and extend further down than the cab end windows or cab door windows. See the linked photo:

http://www.flickr.co...N02/6295427264/

Is it possible that North British made the sliding cab side windows different heights on the respective sides? I can't imagine what the purpose of making the sliding windows different heights on each side would be... <scratching of head>

It looks like a fine model, I can't wait for my pre-order to arrive...

• RMweb Premium

Hi Engine Shed

I have not noticed this before, but not all locos had this feature. A quick 5 minutes check found D8400 http://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6294897073/in/set-72157628044457026 and D8402 in post 183 have cab windows that line up with the door and end window.

Clive

That

Hi Engine Shed

I have not noticed this before, but not all locos had this feature. A quick 5 minutes check found D8400 http://www.flickr.co...157628044457026 and D8402 in post 183 have cab windows that line up with the door and end window.

Clive

That is illustrated if you look closely at te line up in Baby Deltic's post #183. The first loco has the deeper window whereas the second in line appears to have the shallower window that lines up with the others. The third loco is facing the wrong way for comparison!

• RMweb Premium

D8407 appears to have this deeper window on the other side. http://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6294898815/in/set-72157628044457026/

Differing cabside window depths indicate tablet catcher equipment as per the EE type 1's, maybe somewhere in the initial specification this was required?

Just a thought.

Mike.

Hi Mike

I am not sure that there was a need for tablet exchange apparatus on the GE lines.

• RMweb Premium

I have not gone too far in my search but I have found that D8406, D8407 and D8408 had the larger window on the left hand side, when looking from the cab to the radiator. D8406 and D8408 had a small window on the right hand side. http://www.rmweb.co....dnt-transition/

There seems to be no hard and fast rule about which side had the larger window or if the loco had one.

Well spotted Engine Shed.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

D8407 appears to have this deeper window on the other side. http://www.flickr.co...57628044457026/

Hi Mike

I am not sure that there was a need for tablet exchange apparatus on the GE lines.

There was on the M&GN, who knows where they were originally intended for?

Mike.

An extract from the Class 16 information sheet which I compiled for the models.

. During 1962/3 all received the obligatory yellow warning panels on the nose ends with D8404,6 and 8 having the access panel on No.2 end painted yellow rather than above the buffer beam. During the end of their lives’ the livery was changed slightly to incorporate a full yellow nose end with D8400-3,6-8 being so treated. All retained their ‘D’ numbers and non received the double arrow emblem. Non were painted blue. Little in the way of visual modifications were applied and these were carried out in 1965 concentrating around the removal of the side grilles on the external resistor cabinets in front of the cabs to prevent water ingress and the replacement of the cab sliding windows with slightly deeper units on all but D8400,2 & 4, the original Perspex sliders having the tendancy to fall out on the track!

Hope this is of interest'

We chose to adopt the original style cab side windows as this is applicable to all loco's in the class. As they say "It is easier to take material away than to put it back".

Edited by BrushVeteran
  • Like 2