Heljan Class 16

Sulzer

Is there any evidence of any of the class 16s getting any farther north or east than the Buntingford branch?

The book "Diesel Pioneers" by D.N. Clough has good information and photos of class members at Stratford, Doncaster (test trains run to Grantham), on the Brighton line crossing Ouse Viaduct and at Woodford. Photo of  D8405 07/06/1959 on Hertford East to Southend Sunday excursion in "Aspects of East Anglian Diesels The Early Years Part 1" J.D. Mann

Paul

• Like 1

I had the same e-mail as Bernard regarding my order for a plain green one, it stated that they expected them "today", that was Wednesday and would soon be charging my card - seems there must be some crossed wires between Heljan and Hattons as I havent heard anything since Wednesday.

• RMweb Premium

No further email info regarding packing  or despatch.

False hopes?

Bernard

Just called Hattons, still not with them but "on their way". :locomotive:

Main reason for calling Hattons my card expires soon and it would be my luck it expires the day before they arrive. :resent:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

Are they

Are they really going to be that realistic, wow.

Maybe they'll have DCC flames and black smoke coming out of the exhaust and DCC oil throwers to drip oil all over the grilles and running plates like the example below:

gallery_6737_797_112240.jpg

Edited by Baby Deltic
  • Like 1

No I think that's extra :beee:  On a lighter note do you think Hatton's will have sold their quota by pre-orders. I tried to order one today on line but was told to ring the shop?

Apparently there are only 750 of each being produced, spread among many model shops in the UK, its possible they've all been snapped up in pre-orders. I would think that there will be some, such as the gloss one, which might not sell as well as others. There are still plenty of Baby Deltics on the shelves in various model shops, so maybe the same will apply with the 16's.

Edited by Baby Deltic

• RMweb Gold

I was just about to say how do you all put up with the waiting :O

Mind you the photos on e-bay kinda show the cab is not overly well detailed

I assume you mean the cab interior. It might help to have a driver and second man figure each side of the cab, elbows on the window-ledge.

So they have reached Transport Models in Preston, can't be long before Hattons have some photos from different angles.

The cab interior does look like it could be dulled down a little, but the rest of it looks fantastic.

• RMweb Gold

I assume you mean the cab interior. It might help to have a driver and second man figure each side of the cab, elbows on the window-ledge.

Or with hand out of the window hiding the terminal digit of the number - a standard Stratford driver spotter baiting trick on these and class 15s!

Phil

• Like 3

Or with hand out of the window hiding the terminal digit of the number - a standard Stratford driver spotter baiting trick on these and class 15s!

Phil

They could still be identified as there were various variations that narrowed things down a bit and the pattern of oil spillage must have been unique to each machine.

Off on holiday in the morning so will have to wait to get my hands on one.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

They could still be identified as there were various variations that narrowed things down a bit and the pattern of oil spillage must have been unique to each machine.

Off on holiday in the morning so will have to wait to get my hands on one.

Bernard

No doubt ! But as callow youths from Worcestershire we didn't have access to local knowledge or the wealth of published media that we now benefit from at the click of a mouse.

Great fun though

Phil