Heljan Class 16

Sulzer

I pm'd Brushveteren the other day, dont want steal his thunder, but he did say the 16's are on the slow boat. The Baby Deltics have been approved for paint and production, the 26/0's have been tooled and are currently undergoing some corrections.

Hattons have e-mailed to say they have arrived.

Edit...due in stock today....too excited to read e-mail correctly.

Lousy timing for me personally, with my bike costing me £300 yesterday :banghead: Still, kudos to Hattons at least for giving me heads-up so I had the chance to nix my pre-order. Hopefully their ltd. edition status won't inspire a buying frenzy...

Edited by Cleefy
  • Like 1

Why?????

:no:

Did any of them get Sarff of the River on Cross-London trip workings, e.g. to Hither Green) I  wonder?  Someone will know on here  (I hope!) :senile:​ 

Richard

Indeed they did. They worked round the North London Line onto the West London and out via Clapham Junction. They also worked down the East London Line via Rotherhithe tunnel. On at least one occasion, one worked a summer passenger express to Brighton via this route. There a photo's of it crossing the Ouse Viaduct. I think it was D8406 or D8408.

Indeed they did. They worked round the North London Line onto the West London and out via Clapham Junction. They also worked down the East London Line via Rotherhithe tunnel. On at least one occasion, one worked a summer passenger express to Brighton via this route. There a photo's of it crossing the Ouse Viaduct. I think it was D8406 or D8408.

And for all of those reasons, I have ordered one. I bought a class 15 for those same reasons too. There are lots of photos around of those cross-London freights with various non-Southern locos, including the aforementioned classes 15 and 16. I have been able to 'justify' buying classes 24, 25, 31, 35, 37 and 52 (just off the top of my head!) because of those wonderfully varied workings onto SR metals from other regions.

And for all of those reasons, I have ordered one. I bought a class 15 for those same reasons too. There are lots of photos around of those cross-London freights with various non-Southern locos, including the aforementioned classes 15 and 16. I have been able to 'justify' buying classes 24, 25, 31, 35, 37 and 52 (just off the top of my head!) because of those wonderfully varied workings onto SR metals from other regions.

I have some inherited b&w photos somewhere taken from the top of the huge lighting towers in Hither Green yard just after the 750v DC wires were put up (circa '65) that show a freight entering with a Class 20 in the front - the Devons Road batch I presume and a Class 16 in the yard itself

• Like 1

I have some inherited b&w photos somewhere taken from the top of the huge lighting towers in Hither Green yard just after the 750v DC wires were put up (circa '65) that show a freight entering with a Class 20 in the front - the Devons Road batch I presume and a Class 16 in the yard itself

I'm not sure if they ran through Snow Hill tunnel onto the southern region. My friend Jim remembers going through on a Brake van behind a class 15, but it may have been one of the Finsbury Park allocated batch.

Edited by Baby Deltic

On at least one occasion, one worked a summer passenger express to Brighton via this route. There a photo's of it crossing the Ouse Viaduct. I think it was D8406 or D8408.

And one day this working will be represented in model form crossing the viaduct!  :sungum:

• Like 3

In 'Modern Locomotives Illustrated' No 186, Class14, 15, 16 and 17's there is a picture of D8402, in all green, cab at the front, pulling about 10 unfitted 4 wheel coal wagons (like the Arfix ones) with a BR guards van through Clapham Junction on 30th June 1962 on a Temple Mills to Norwood Yard transfer freight.

I hope that helps.

It is good enough for me to get one, as I am sure those cross London freights must have occationally made a detour through the Midlands and South Yorkshire :-)

Sadly 8 of them did make it as far as Kettering, to Cohen's scrap yard. There are no shots in that issue of them working anywhere outside Greater London though, I would love to know if they got north of Watford at anytime too. They were built in Glasgow as far as I know, so presumably ran light engine from there down to London in the late 50's.

It would be great if there were maps of distribution of locomotives like the ones bird watchers have, seen, nesting, nesting and breeding in different colours, although those categories would have to be replaced with special working, regular working, and home shed, maybe also built and running in.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel