Heljan Class 16

Sulzer

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be no hard and fast rule about which side had the larger window or if the loco had one.

Well spotted Engine Shed.

An extract from the Class 16 information sheet which I compiled for the models.

. During 1962/3 all received the obligatory yellow warning panels on the nose ends with D8404,6 and 8 having the access panel on No.2 end painted yellow rather than above the buffer beam. During the end of their lives’ the livery was changed slightly to incorporate a full yellow nose end with D8400-3,6-8 being so treated. All retained their ‘D’ numbers and non received the double arrow emblem. Non were painted blue. Little in the way of visual modifications were applied and these were carried out in 1965 concentrating around the removal of the side grilles on the external resistor cabinets in front of the cabs to prevent water ingress and the replacement of the cab sliding windows with slightly deeper units on all but D8400,2 & 4, the original Perspex sliders having the tendancy to fall out on the track!

Hope this is of interest'

We chose to adopt the original style cab side windows as this is applicable to all loco's in the class. As they say "It is easier to take material away than to put it back".

Hi Grahame

Thanks for the information about the side windows. It seems a few more than noted and now there is a rule about which ones were fitted with the deeper window, those who lost their's on the way home :search:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

... and the replacement of the cab sliding windows with slightly deeper units on all but D8400,2 & 4, the original Perspex sliders having the tendancy to fall out on the track!

Hope this is of interest'

We chose to adopt the original style cab side windows as this is applicable to all loco's in the class. As they say "It is easier to take material away than to put it back".

Thank for that! I was almost afraid to say anything, as I didn't want to criticize, it is such a nice looking locomotive. :good:

it is such a nice looking locomotive. :good:

Should have gone to Specsavers.

It's a horrible ugly box and the multitude of openings hardly add to it's charm.

However it will fit in perfectly with the Class 15 and the wagon basher on my Essex backwater.

Resistance is futile.

Heljan have certainly made modelling East Anglian byways in the transition period a viable possibility.

Bernard

• 3 weeks later...

I hope nobody took my comment the wrong way: I was referring to the dull livery applications on the prototypes. The models and their livery applications look to be very good. It certainly wasn't Heljan's fault that BR chose fairly unimaginative liveries for these locomotives. :)

Thanks for posting those photos, too.

Edited by SRman

I hope nobody took my comment the wrong way: I was referring to the dull livery applications on the prototypes. The models and their livery applications look to be very good. It certainly wasn't Heljan's fault that BR chose fairly unimaginative liveries for these locomotives. :)

Thanks for posting those photos, too.

It's OK I know what you meant SR Man, it just seemed a good opportunity to post the images against your comment!

I never thought a model of such an ungainly prototype would ever be produced, but having worked on the R&D on this for the last couple of years it has 'grown' on me. It has turned out into a nice chunky and heavy little model which should please the ER diesel modelling fraternity. A few sleepy little ER branch line layouts seem to be calling.....Buntingford, Braintree, Aldeburgh, Hadleigh, Southminster,..............all within rescuing distance from Stratford!

• RMweb Premium

It's OK I know what you meant SR Man, it just seemed a good opportunity to post the images against your comment!

I never thought a model of such an ungainly prototype would ever be produced, but having worked on the R&D on this for the last couple of years it has 'grown' on me. It has turned out into a nice chunky and heavy little model which should please the ER diesel modelling fraternity. A few sleepy little ER branch line layouts seem to be calling.....Buntingford, Braintree, Aldeburgh, Hadleigh, Southminster,..............all within rescuing distance from Stratford!

Hi Graham

At a show I was running my D8407 on the club layout when a ex Stratford driver said "That would never happen".

"What, Gordon?" was my reply.

"That thing moving." answered Gordon, " I would have found something to fail it before leaving shed. They would get you where you were going but not home."

Still now I have seen the pinted bodies I have just odered 2 from Hattons to go with my four home made ones.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

getting tempted to a plain green as built one .....

I can also feel a twinge in the wallet looking at these. I only saw three of them, but they seemed exotic at the time. Reliability and availability were issues one knew nothing about. As for boring liveries, I'm afraid I'm only really interested in green diesels before the awful yellow paint appeared. It takes all sorts!
  • Like 1

I reckon I'll go for the whole class as there were only 10 of them.

If that's the case then Lloyd I'll make sure we include D8402/3/6 & 8 in the next batch!

By the way I'm actually staying the night in Sumatra Road tomorrow!

Edited by BrushVeteran
  • Like 1

Modelling the Buntingford branch, are we?

It's my local, and I've had a couple of stabs at it over the last 30 years. #1 son likes our pair of BTH Type 1s and D8406 would be perfect if we had another go. Widford would be nice; small with a couple of sidings and the bridge at one end.

Edited by Buckjumper
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...