RMweb

Fort Myers, Florida in the 90's - Its the layouts 30th birthday this year - Freemo South 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

It's now a few days after Freemo and I am still doing a few things related to the layout.

Another DAC20 is waiting for me at the sorting office so will install this whilst it's all fresh in my mind hopefully this week. This has lead me to think as to where to leave the spare outputs on this board so my thoughts are turning towards possibly adding two three foot boards in the middle of the layout giving the yard an extra 6 foot of space per track plus two more industry spurs. This is so etching that I have always wanted to do but as a stand alone layout a I would also have yo do the same to the fiddle yard thus making the whole thing unmanageable at home. Freemo now gives me this option.

It's not a given but these extra boards are certainly likely once I have built the new HO Czech layout.

A couple of the locos had a few detail bits come loose so these were sorted out last night along with wheel cleaning as dome of them did have quite a run and the Athearn blue box loco wheels do pick up dirt very quickly. The NWSL wheels I bought in

Canada, state for Athearn locos on the back but in print on the front say for a life Like E units so the original wheels have to stay for now!!!

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As last night was dry I decided to open the garage door and work on the boxed up boards. The third DAC20 accessory decoder is now in place and wired, so now most of the turnouts will work individually. Just the last couple of boards to alter. The Loconet has also been wired throught the baseboard electrical connectors to each DAC20 to save time setting up as I have done on other layouts.

Another task that I started on the SUnday mornng between operating sessions was to take photos of each loco so that they can be added to the JMRI roster. This then allows a photo to appear in JMRI and also in Engine Driver app on Android devices to ease selecting the loco required.

A few of these photos below.

A Train Station (IIRC) GP9 repainted into Seminole Gulf Coast colours plus correct horns bell on the high nose, coupler lift bars etc

post-1557-0-10044900-1405065420_thumb.jpg

One of the newer locos in the roster is this Atlas factory sound fitted GP40-2 in Florida East Coast colours. The air con and horns have been changed to suit the prototype.

post-1557-0-39443900-1405065429_thumb.jpg

An Atlas factory fitted sound, MP15 in CSX colours has only had new horns and weathering otherwise much out of the box

post-1557-0-15646300-1405065440_thumb.jpg

A much modified Athearn Blue box GP40-2 now fitted with the correct Blomberg trucks, lifting rings sunshades lazer cut glazing etc. No sound in this one yet.

post-1557-0-36375400-1405065449_thumb.jpg

Another Atlas factory fitted sound GP38-2 with various extra detailing to match the prototype.

post-1557-0-60293700-1405065457_thumb.jpg

An Atlas Alco Century loco as factory painted in Seminole Gulf colours but this one has had a sound decoder added, fuel tank reprofiled and other details added to match the prototype.

post-1557-0-80808700-1405065466_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

I thought the layouts length was just about right, although I can see how longer loops would turn it into a main yard that'd handle 1000' better. When I finally left in the Sunday morning with Dan's CF7, I'd got the place pretty tied up, but the moves worked out well and I'm looking forward to switching it again sometime soon.

If anyone is thinking of building an end yard with lots of switching spots and a passenger service too, Fort Myers provides lots of inspiration.

I thought the layouts length was just about right, although I can see how longer loops would turn it into a main yard that'd handle 1000' better. When I finally left in the Sunday morning with Dan's CF7, I'd got the place pretty tied up, but the moves worked out well and I'm looking forward to switching it again sometime soon.

I think it might have been easier with a little bit the other end - in fact I could see it working well as a through station also, maybe through trains dropping cuts of cars in the yard for a local switcher to deal with?

It doesn't *neccesarily* need longer tracks IMHO - but more yard track isn't a bad thing of course....

• RMweb Gold

I will have add on bits so the headshunt on the new board can actually be used for next time.  The longer yards is a likely possibility given enough spare time to do so. The extra DAC20 has spare outputs for 4 more turnouts so they would be useful for any extra sidings on the extended yard.

Just got to make sure that the extended length will fit in  any planned meets though to make it worth while as this will take Fort Myers to about 25 feet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Before putting Fort Myers away for while, this morning I decided to finish rreprogramming the DAC20 turnout decoders and also fit a Digitrax Loconet panel into the side of the board where the DCC is plugged in.

Next I connected up and laid the track in tbe new fiddleyard which will also be used on Dobris. The track has to line up with both so with the track already down on Fort Myers this has been connected up first.

Now the new scenic boards for Dobris will be linked up to the fiddleyard.

post-1557-0-34858600-1405873750_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Paul

No it won't fit as it will be handed once the fascia panels are added to make it a conventional fiddleyard.

However the original fiddleyard behind the juice factory will be modified so it can still be used.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Ian, when you discover where you get your apparently boundless energy from please let me know!

I hate to admit but I have just taken  2 weeks to convert one #8 Shinohara code 70 turnout to DCC.................

I have to see all your layouts in the flesh before I kick the bucket.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

It's great therapy and take the mind off other matters.

This morning I weathered a 2BIL and cleaned two bullied to take with me this morning to the Tinkers Park show. I did look at the conservatory glass in the morning sunlight. I must do some housework!!!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few new purchases for the layout yesterday in Caboose a Hobbies post xmas sale with 15% off Locos and rolling stock.
No new locos as space is tight in our travel bags but I did pick up these two excellent newly tooled Walthers Amfleet coaches.
The detail is superb and very nice close coupling.
post-1557-0-88004100-1420294638_thumb.jpg

The other HO item is this Athearn Solid Cold refrigerator car complete with sound.
post-1557-0-69807900-1420294731_thumb.jpg

A photo with the roof off showing the sound system inside
post-1557-0-58447000-1420294787_thumb.jpg

The layout has been packed away since the Freemo last summer but work will recommence in time for both the Freemo show this September and the Seeboard show the same month.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to have to send you some sample Amfleet trucks to try out in a month or so. I'm hoping the king pin mounting is till the same dimensions as for the earlier cars

Andy

Andy

That would be great to upgrade my older ones.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Fort Myers next outing is to the Freemo 2015 meet.

Its been stored since the last meet in Summer 2014 so in the near future I will be dusting it off and adding a bit more detail. The plan is to add a short converter board at each end to take it from 20 inch wide boards down to the Freemo standard of 18 inches wide. This will also give a head shunt at one end where the turnout goes up to the baseboard edge so it couldnt be used as a headshunt and runround at the last meet.

Despite having more than enough freight cars I havent been able to resist a few new ones so hope to have these weathered and on the list for being used at Freemo.

Watch out for a few updates on here in due course.

• Like 1