RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I (re)read 1984 last year and I thought "well, he only got the date wrong by a few decades..."

Another book that is scarily prophetic is The Space Merchants. I read that when I was a child and it's why I detest all forms of marketing (kudos for RMWeb for letting us hide the adverts).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, kevinlms said:

That's why large windows like that should have firmly attached tape etc, so it can be noticed, BEFORE people walk into it.

Or some sort of pattern on or in the glass, that is visible but makes little differnce to light transmission

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Or some sort of pattern on or in the glass, that is visible but makes little differnce to light transmission

To make it more realistic, the impact patterns of various birds that may have unwittingly collided with the window.

I've a photo of a pigeon impact pattern from one that flew into a bedroom window. It looked rather surprised!  If I can find it...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Birds flying into large windows is a problem. Someone came up with the idea of placing very thin vertical lines on the glass about 5cms/2" apart and that solved the problem. How it works is that the birds decide that the gap is to narrow for them to fly through.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Hroth said:

To make it more realistic, the impact patterns of various birds that may have unwittingly collided with the window.

I've a photo of a pigeon impact pattern from one that flew into a bedroom window. It looked rather surprised!  If I can find it...

It was probably surprised it didn't have a broken neck.😄

We had a bullfinch fly into a window at a previous house and that broke it's neck (and died, obviously!)

We've also had the odd woodpigeon do the same. Quite a thump when they hit at top speed.👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It was probably surprised it didn't have a broken neck.

I didn't say it survived the impact...

What I photographed was the dust pattern the bird made on the glass*, the effect it left was of a surprised expression.

* It would be macabre to photograph the corpse post-impact. The only reason to do that would have been if a swan or say a goose had flown into the glass and broken the window. Then it might be useful for an insurance claim...

• Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

image.png.46b32317aa8f3c4c6134ff930ee21ef9.png

For those hard-to-discourage moles...

Or, if you want to extract them....

Mole.jpg.1f7dc1e783d5986b5846e616f4059f3d.jpg

Edited by Hroth
The old drag'n'drop hiccup...
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

16 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

I think someone got some inspiration for the Wisconsin coat of arms from the Cornish one as well.....

Only the supporters, and the Wisconsin dexter is a sailor, rather than the Cornish fisherman. Nothing else is in common.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Only the supporters, and the Wisconsin dexter is a sailor, rather than the Cornish fisherman. Nothing else is in common.

There were a lot of early settlers from Cornwall in Wisconsin, particularly to work in the mines.

If you go to somewhere like Mineral Point, the Cornish flags on display generally outnumber the US ones and Pasties are on sale everywhere!

A lot of the early buildings in the place are rather different to what was being constructed in the US at that time as well....

11-1310.jpg.ad7b8ca1bd726bdf47055daa08b7cfa4.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

There were a lot of early settlers from Cornwall in Wisconsin, particularly to work in the mines.

The dictionary definition of a Mine is 'a hole in the ground with a Cornishman at the bottom'

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1