RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Perhaps the course officials expected duffers to use Google Maps on their telephones or golf course distance tracker software. 😉

Could be. This was particularly obtuse though. After playing the 12th green you have to walk back 180 yards to reach the 13th tee box and you then shoot across the 12th fairway. I've come across courses where fairways cross but never that particular arrangement. You can usually rely on the next tee box being close to the last green :(

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

As they say "We are Family butchers!"

Dank and rather soggy!

A bridge under the Bridgewater canal embankment?

Too many HGV drivers economise by not buying an HGV satnav...

This used to be even more dank.

Present day:

image.png.35ad98f066df20352ad1d831f2f191c9.png

The whole T junction and road under the canal often used to be part of the ford (except when the river was low), until the road was raised several feet some years ago and pipes put in.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, melmerby said:

It also messed up near whare I lived as it would send you on a couple of miles detour to get to a place that was 100 yards away as part of a longer journey

Makes a direction of Google Maps look tame.

At one roundabout, it suggests that I take the 4th exit, which is rather odd as there are only 3 roads at this roundabout, so taking the 4th exit involves involves making a 450 degree turn, since it takes me to the same exit as the first one.

I went through Google's site to get it updated, but they ignored me - I guess they need more than 1 complaint to act!

Just down the road, is another 3 way roundabout, where despite the map arrow showing correctly a right hand turn, the voice says 1st exit, which is 180 degrees away from the correct route!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I use a sat nav as an aid only. Remember there are still signposts out on the roadside.  Sat navs are in addition to the signposts;  not an alternative.  A combination of sat nav and reading the physical roadsigns usually gets me where I want to go.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I do not usually use a Sat Nav but when I had to drive around London for work my colleague in the car used his.  Google uses an app that is linked to to weight of traffic in an area, so you found yourself going down back roads and actually getting to places on time.  The problem is that although that is brilliant in London, it does the same thing in the country, which is why it takes you down tiny roads that no one else uses.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

There is no such thing as a b............................................!

That depends on if you are giving or receiving.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

image.png.421661a46a5c506d70bc1965e4f9aa97.png

So If I take three of them off their hands they will give me £5?

I heard on the radio that due to the shortage of water you should use dishwater to water your plants.

Here it comes in bottles, ready for that purpose..............👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 04/08/2022 at 11:12, raymw said:

Best place for 'em.

If you visit any cemetery in the mining districts of Cornwall you will find a lot of Cornishmen buried there who died before they were  30 years old. They died from inhaling the dust produced from drilling the granite with pneumatic drills which were introduced by the English mine owners to increase their already massive profits.

When those mines closed in the late 1800's the Cornish miners, who were considered to be the best in the world, were left with the stark choice of starving, emigrating or leaving their families to work abroad. Proportionally a far greater number of the Cornish emigrated as a result of this than the Irish because of the potato famine. Two of the many places being Wyoming and Montana, hence the similarities of the coat of arms.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1