RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold

In the Skirrid Inn, the oldest and most haunted pub in Wales and handy for photographing steam on Llanvihangel Bank, one day, I was talking in the general way one does to the landlord at the bar when it's a midweek afternoon and you're the only one there to keep him company.  He showed me all the features, which included rope wear in the old beams from the days when the travelling courts had been held there, and sheep stealers were hanged on site over the beams, see saw, margery daw, back and forth, creak, creak, creak...  The first recorded hanging there was in the 12th century when the authority was still disputed between the Welsh lords of Eywas and the Norman Marcher Lord of Abergaveny, Simon de Braose, and the last some 5 centuries later in the Interegnum Commonwealth, both, and most in between, for sheep stealing. 

'Do they bother you, the ghosts', I asked. 'Nah, 'course not, don't believe in all that rubbish!  Mind you, I'm saying that on a sunny afternoon with no wind; you don't want to be locking up here on a stormy night when the moon's in and out of the clouds, everything's creaking, and your mind starts playing tricks on you'!  Having frightened myself silly in brake vans in such conditions a few times, I knew exactly what he meant!

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 05/12/2022 at 11:46, martin_wynne said:

Another effect of Tetraethyl Lead?

"Researchers calculate that exposure to car exhaust from leaded petrol during childhood stole a collective 824 million IQ points from over 170 million Americans alive today, more than half of the population of the United States."

"Blood Lead Level measurements from developed countries decreased markedly beginning in the late 1970s, when restrictions were placed upon lead use in gasoline, petrol, paint, soldering material and other products. In the United States, average BLLs measured among tens of thousands of subjects declined from 12.8 to 2.8 μg/dL between 1976 and 1991."

12.8 to 2.8! That's a massive reduction.

Tetraethyl Lead is the big unmentioned scandal of our time:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/03/220307162011.htm

Martin.

Maybe the decline in IQ in the US explains Trump becoming President…

steve

• Agree 4

15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

One individual case does not constitute a trend.

Trump is just a symptom.

The number of voters who voted for him constitutes a large sample that tends to confirm the trend...

😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

31 minutes ago, steve1 said:

16 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Maybe the decline in IQ in the US also explains Biden becoming President…

OMG!

It's a trend! 🤪

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I remember President Reagan's brain being missing and no one noticed !

(Except Spitting Image that is.)

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Trump is just a symptom.

The number of voters who voted for him constitutes a large sample that tends to confirm the trend...

😉

As it was it wasn't a majority that voted for him..........

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, steve1 said:

steve

German IQ must also be declining, as they've apparently just arrested a right-wing group who were planning to storm the Reichstag, reinstate the Second Reich and instal Prince Heinrich XIII as Kaiser.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It's the old old story, isn't it; put 3 Frenchmen in a room together and they'll talk about cuisine, 3 Italians will talk about cars, 3 Irishman will have a fight, 3 Welshmen will form a choir, 3 Spaniards will talk about girls, and 3 Germans will come up with a plan to invade Poland, subjugate the slavic untermench, and create lebensraum.

The German authorities have had this particular group under observation for a while, which they must have been aware of and makes it the more surprising that they thought they could actually mount a successful coup d'etat.  There really does seem to be a correlation between White Supremacists and stupidity, especially if you regard stupidity as a continued belief despite overwhelming evidence in the efficacy of something you've tried before and which has failed disastrously, and you think that just because nobody's left alive that remembers it it's time for another shot at it!  Well done German police.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2

On 05/12/2022 at 17:59, Reorte said:

I've started to slow down in thick fog for the red traffic light ahead - which turned out to be a signal on the parallel railway. Hope no train has ever done the opposite, with a green traffic light on a parallel road... (sure, route knowledge should cover that, but I'd hope there'd have to be some consultation with the railway if traffic lights are installed in such locations).

My house built in 2000, is near the railway line in Strood, there is a clause in my House Deeds, saying that as required by the South Eastern Railway Act of 1864 I must not display any lights that could distract an engine driver.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 05/12/2022 at 11:46, martin_wynne said:

Another effect of Tetraethyl Lead?

"Researchers calculate that exposure to car exhaust from leaded petrol during childhood stole a collective 824 million IQ points from over 170 million Americans alive today, more than half of the population of the United States."

"Blood Lead Level measurements from developed countries decreased markedly beginning in the late 1970s, when restrictions were placed upon lead use in gasoline, petrol, paint, soldering material and other products. In the United States, average BLLs measured among tens of thousands of subjects declined from 12.8 to 2.8 μg/dL between 1976 and 1991."

12.8 to 2.8! That's a massive reduction.

Tetraethyl Lead is the big unmentioned scandal of our time:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/03/220307162011.htm

Martin.

Thomas Midgley, the chemist who developed Tetraethyl Lead, was the same person who developed Chloroflurocarbons (CFCs). Not a person whose work was good for the environment then!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, JeremyC said:

Thomas Midgley, the chemist who developed Tetraethyl Lead, was the same person who developed Chloroflurocarbons (CFCs). Not a person whose work was good for the environment then!

At least he was consistent! 💀

• Funny 3

34 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

It's the old old story, isn't it; put 3 Frenchmen in a room together and they'll talk about cuisine, 3 Italians will talk about cars, 3 Irishman will have a fight, 3 Welshmen will form a choir, 3 Spaniards will talk about girls, and 3 Germans will come up with a plan to invade Poland, subjugate the slavic untermench, and create lebensraum.

3 ?

One is quite capable on her own.

When SWMBO gets that look in her eyes one of the family will say "Don't point her at Poland".

Bernard (Just rcovering from a coffee morning with 14 German women in the house)

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

34 minutes ago, JeremyC said:

I'd better not mention Margaret Roberts, who helped developed that vile and disgusting Mr Whippy ice cream.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

13 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I'd better not mention Margaret Roberts, who helped developed that vile and disgusting Mr Whippy ice cream.

Its probably the least damaging thing that could be levelled at her reputation...

(I wouldn't touch the stuff either!)

52 minutes ago, fulton said:

My house built in 2000, is near the railway line in Strood, there is a clause in my House Deeds, saying that as required by the South Eastern Railway Act of 1864 I must not display any lights that could distract an engine driver.

So that means you're legally prohibited from excessive outdoor christmas decorations?  You must be glad about that!

• Like 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

So that means you're legally prohibited from excessive outdoor christmas decorations?  You must be glad about that!

Do drivers normally stop at glittering reindeer with huge smiles?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

t's the old old story, isn't it; put 3 Frenchmen in a room together and they'll talk about cuisine, 3 Italians will talk about cars, 3 Irishman will have a fight, 3 Welshmen will form a choir, 3 Spaniards will talk about girls, and 3 Germans will come up with a plan to invade Poland, subjugate the slavic untermench, and create lebensraum.

...and three Brits will complain about the weather.

UK weather: Bitterly cold conditions on the way

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/63861849

We've got snow forecast to arrive sometime fairly soon.

I ask you, it's just not right!

Snow should arrive, deep and crisp and even, on 24th December.

Not now while I still have to travel to work every day. 😒

Bah humbug.

Mrs Mackay needs to move south from Tomintoul with her silver shovel.

image.png.951e78621fbe83e08eedb7c8ca901bc3.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JeremyC said:

Didn't he then go on to work in the tobacco industry?  One can imagine him being rejected by the drug barons for being too damaging to society...

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Mrs Mackay needs to move south from Tomintoul with her silver shovel.

Bear Scotland do a pretty good job of ploughing the main roads, but they do give priority to the keeping A9/A92/A96 triangle open ahead of the A95/A939 when it gets bad.  They've named their gritters too ...

Blizzard of Oz

Hello Gritty

Sir Snowington

Gritly Come Dancing

Hansel and Grit-all

BEAR Chills

Mary Queen of Salt

Oor Chilly

Megameltasaurus

William Wall-ice

• Like 11
  • Funny 5