RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

32 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

image.png.1adfa419a5381e3b325647ca53079e21.png

One does not "change" toilet paper, apart from the mass switch from Izal to modern soft multi-ply papers. It's merely a matter of stockkeeping!

Though I do miss Izal, as children we went through a lot, using it for tracing paper and for paper&comb instruments, rather than for its intended purpose...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I miss Izal about as much as I miss endemic pneumonia, especially since we used it at home so I had no respite from the school supply!  Medicated or not, it didn't work, simply moving the 'load' along rather than absorbing and retaining it; unmedicated newspaper worked much better!  And I suspect it would clog most modern u-bends.  A wonderful combination of pointless, useless, and unpleasant!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I miss Izal about as much as I miss endemic pneumonia, especially since we used it at home so I had no respite from the school supply!  Medicated or not, it didn't work, simply moving the 'load' along rather than absorbing and retaining it; unmedicated newspaper worked much better!  And I suspect it would clog most modern u-bends.  A wonderful combination of pointless, useless, and unpleasant!

The trick was to use two or three sheets at a time,  crumpling them up, thus eliminating the sliding properties and providing some protection for the fingers.  It was not for nothing that one was admonished to wash your hands afterwards...

Edited by Hroth
Spelin and stuff...
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Ian Smeeton said:

Izal

Still sold in huge amounts in the sub Continent.

Branded as 'John Wayne'

Ad Strapline,

"Its Rough & Tough & takes no sh!t from Indians"

(Sorry, not very PC)

Regards

Ian

Its not been improved then....

• Agree 3

54 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Until the mid 80's Izal was still the only toilet paper in the Government Supplies Catalogue, with "Government Property" printed on every sheet. 

When it was decreed that Civil Servants could use a "soft" toilet tissue, we had vast stock of the hard stuff (about a pallet load) which had to be disposed of without a charge of "willful destruction of Government Property" being laid. 

Edited by 2E Sub Shed
punctuation
  • Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Much like your post 🤢

🤣

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, 2E Sub Shed said:

a "soft" toilet tissue

In my mind the unsung hero of civilisation is the man, or woman, who invented soft toilet tissue. I wish there was a statue somewhere or a monument to that defining moment when barbarism was oh so simply wiped away. This must have been a greater moment than the design of The Wheel, more heartowarming than the discover of Fire and a greater step then Coming Out Of The Trees.

I like to think it was a woman called "Anne" who has been feted as the king of the soft-on-the-sphincter policy.

Whomever it was, I bow to them.

Edited by PeterStiles
funnier
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

Izal

Still sold in huge amounts in the sub Continent.

Branded as 'John Wayne'

Ad Strapline,

"Its Rough & Tough & takes no sh!t from Indians"

(Sorry, not very PC)

Regards

Ian

Trouble was, it took no sh*t from anyone else either…

Edited by The Johnster
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Much like your post 🤢

🤣

Sorry, tried to make it as inoffensive as I could, but one had to attempt to encapsulate the problem.  It was awful stuff, and proof that not everything was better in the good (allegedly) old days!

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

In my mind the unsung hero of civilisation is the man, or woman, who invented soft toilet tissue. I wish there was a statue somewhere or a monument to that defining moment when barbarism was oh so simply wiped away. This must have been a greater moment than the design of The Wheel, more heartowarming than the discover of Fire and a greater step then Coming Out Of The Trees.

I like to think it was a woman called "Anne" who has been feted as the king of the soft-on-the-sphincter policy.

Whomever it was, I bow to them.

In days of old,

when knights were bold,

and bog paper not yet invented,

they wiped their a**e,

withn tufts of grass,

and went away contented.

(as recited by primary school children in the 1950s)

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Well, Izal medicated certainly got me to more places than any other brand of toilet paper.

In my younger days, I used to hitchhike a lot, and found that a sign was often useful. So I got a bit of hardboard the longest that woud fit in my rucksack, painted it white and then painted LEAMINGTON on one side and COVENTRY on the other in black, these being my most usual destinations at the time, with a rather smaller "PLEASE" below each, but I sized them both so they were exactly covered by the width of a loo roll. It took three layers of Izal sellotaped to the board to provide enough opacity to hide the writing underneath, and then with a Jumbo marker I could write wherever I wanted to go that day. I could even build up layers, with the top layer saying something generic such as WEST, and successive layers beneath moving on to NORTH WALES and BANGOR, for example.

Izal was indestructable, standing up to rain and wind, as well as being shoved down the back of my rucksack and being pulled out again.

I didn't see anyone else with a similar board, and I did occasionally muse, during long waits at motorway service station exits, what kept Izal in business. Someone else must have been buying the stuff, and it was bloody useless for wiping your arse, after all.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

In days of old,

when knights were bold,

and bog paper not yet invented,

they wiped their a**e,

withn tufts of grass,

and went away contented.

(as recited by primary school children in the 1950s)

Our version was

In days of old

When knights were bold

And toilets not invented

They dug a hole in the middle of the road

And sat there quite contented

• Like 4
  • Funny 3