The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Any way but straight ahead. That seems reasonable, as a first approximation.

It looks to me like the permanent signs are indicating that it's a one way street. The right facing temporary sign, is showing that the road is temporarily a two way road.

But if that is true, the permanent signs should be covered up to prevent confusion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

It looks to me like the permanent signs are indicating that it's a one way street. The right facing temporary sign, is showing that the road is temporarily a two way road.

But if that is true, the permanent signs should be covered up to prevent confusion.

Looks like a roundabout to me - which is a type of one-way street. Going the wrong way round it is unlikely to be a good idea, whatever the signage!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 5

21 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Looks like a roundabout to me - which is a type of one-way street. Going the wrong way round it is unlikely to be a good idea, whatever the signage!

It is indeed a roundabout. I purposely didn’t show the signs in their full context. It is traffic light controlled. Last week it was the same. My young grandson couldn’t believe it when I went round the roundabout the wrong way (he hadn’t noticed the signs but then he is only 6). He now keeps asking me to go around roundabouts the wrong way again. Shame I won’t get the chance to take him round again today.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chris M said:

It is indeed a roundabout. I purposely didn’t show the signs in their full context. It is traffic light controlled. Last week it was the same. My young grandson couldn’t believe it when I went round the roundabout the wrong way (he hadn’t noticed the signs but then he is only 6). He now keeps asking me to go around roundabouts the wrong way again. Shame I won’t get the chance to take him round again today.

I had to go round a roundabout the wrong way in similar circumstances a few months ago (but with even more cones - it was a new one they'd not finished building...) - it's remarkably disconcerting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris M said:

My young grandson couldn’t believe it when I went round the roundabout the wrong way (he hadn’t noticed the signs but then he is only 6). He now keeps asking me to go around roundabouts the wrong way again.

For that, go to Swindon. You can drive "the wrong way" round the Magic Roundabout every day.

image.png.3cc37d44829cb8af8533d8feec50c2a8.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/03/2023 at 13:57, KeithMacdonald said:

For that, go to Swindon. You can drive "the wrong way" round the Magic Roundabout every day.

Also High Wycombe and Hemel Hempstead if you're in the area

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Where's that "Holy Sh1t" emoji when you need it? 😨

That thing should have a whole supplement to the Highway Code all its own.

John

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Where's that "Holy Sh1t" emoji when you need it? 😨

That thing should have a whole supplement to the Highway Code all its own.

John

You should have seen it when it was first done, the 5 x outer Mini-roundabouts, slightly further in, to where those white spots are now.  No guide lines like there are now, just a vast open grey tarmac space.....   

.....   and fear!!         😱 

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

You should have seen it when it was first done, the 5 x outer Mini-roundabouts, slightly further in, to where those white spots are now.  No guide lines like there are now, just a vast open grey tarmac space.....   

.....   and fear!!         😱 

Until they made one big roundabout out of it, the Magic Roundabout had a little brother in Swindon with 4 exits and 2 railway bridges across it at Bruce Street Bridges  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I suppose it's handy having the fire station so close, to untangle the occasional mangled wreckage...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

On 26/03/2023 at 12:51, Metr0Land said:

Also High Wycombe and Hemel Hempstead if you're in the area

I "found" the HH one by mistake in February, just after I collected the caravan, that was fun, I think the locals were pleased to see the back of me. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, duncan said:

I "found" the HH one by mistake in February, just after I collected the caravan, that was fun, I think the locals were pleased to see the back of me. 

No one is pleased to see the back of a caravan - unless it's turning off the road, out of their way....... 😉

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7