The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold

It was at the Bluebell recently. Lancing probably had to make do with Mayflower, backing through Hove recently. To a pub-sign decorator they probably look the same and they are both green.

61306 Mayflower Hove 10 9 2023.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Looks more like malachite to me.  Sounds like one of those Old Testamant tribes 'And The Lord smote the Malachites mightily, for they had not forsaken the path of sinfulness and wickedness, and smote He also the Trilobites and the Ammonites, unto the utmost extinction (at the end of the Permian apparently...).

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Looks more like malachite to me.  Sounds like one of those Old Testamant tribes 'And The Lord smote the Malachites mightily, for they had not forsaken the path of sinfulness and wickedness, and smote He also the Trilobites and the Ammonites, unto the utmost extinction (at the end of the Permian apparently...).

And He made humans out of clay in the plasticine era :)

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I tip my hat to you! I know of the Ammonites of the Bible and the ammonites of Lyme Bay, but I'd never thought to connect them.

Malachites is very plausible, isn't it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

I think would like a T shirt with this sign on it - the pace some of these things and their inconsiderate and illegal drivers zoom along pavements.

No exploding batterymobiles - Charing Cross 25 9 2023.jpg

Looks like a Lego minifig...

• Funny 1

On 10/10/2023 at 00:16, KeithMacdonald said:

AFAIK, it's not happened in Cornwall yet either.  That does have some dual-language signs. Although (I'm told) there's a bit of an academic bun-fight over what is "correct" Cornish.  Ironically, the best translations into "classical" Cornish might be done about 130 miles further south, in Britanny.

https://bernarddeacon.com/2020/08/29/has-the-standard-written-form-of-cornish-failed/

Just over one-half of one per cent of the population of Cornwall can speak basic Cornish.

And less than one-tenth of one per cent are fluent. 

People's Front of Cornwall vs Cornish People's Front,

• Like 2

21 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

Another lazy pub sign - Railway = Flying Scotsman. I don't know whether it visited Lancing on its recent trip south, but this was well before that.

The Railway pub - Lancing 27 5 2022.jpg

Putting Britain's most famous steam loco on your pub sign in Sussex strikes me as rather clever.

The adenoidal types who might otherwise be attracted by the pub name would never want to drink there, and so won't frighten off normal customers who have got a life. 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, BachelorBoy said:

Just over one-half of one per cent of the population of Cornwall can speak basic Cornish.

SPLITTER!

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, BachelorBoy said:

Putting Britain's most famous steam loco on your pub sign in Sussex strikes me as rather clever.

The adenoidal types who might otherwise be attracted by the pub name would never want to drink there, and so won't frighten off normal customers who have got a life. 

On the other hand, it might possibly attract them, with their sweaty anoraks and bulging rucsacks, aching to put mine host right about his woeful pub sign.

They'd empty the place in minutes and spend several hours nursing half a pint of the publicans cheapest lager.  Rather than go bust, the sign would be changed as quickly as possible, if only to remove name and number...

• Funny 1

10 hours ago, BachelorBoy said:

Just over 9% of the population of Cornwall are fluent in basic English.....     😅

.....   Just popping out for a run.....   bye!!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

I think would like a T shirt with this sign on it - the pace some of these things and their inconsiderate and illegal drivers zoom along pavements.

The latest annoying thing in Birmingham is these high powered electric bikes, now the favourite transport of the food delivery idiots.

No numberplate and presumably no tax or insurance and as quick as a small petrol motorbike.

I wonder whether they are even legally allowable on public thoroughfares in the UK?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

23 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Yea verily, there was much smoting.

Neither must one forget the Ephraimites. Who (it is regularly said in certain degrees) had always been considered a clamorous and turbulent people, and had not been called out to partake of the honours of the Ammonitish war. Most significantly, from a defect in aspiration peculiar to their dialect, they could not talk proper like what the Gileadites did. And Scripture informs us that there fell on that day, on the field of battle and on the banks of the Jordan, forty and two thousand Ephraimites.

Pass Brother Johnster.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

The Lord is my sheperd, I shall not want

He maketh me down to die

In pastures green he leadeth me the silent waters by.

With bright knives he releaseth my soul, he maketh me to hang on hooks in high places, he converteth me to lamb cutlets, for lo! he hath great power and great hunger.

When cometh the day us silent ones, through great dedication and quiet contemplation,

finally master the art of Karate...

Lo, we shall rise up, and then we'll make the b*gger's eyes water!

(Sheep, Pink Floyd, 'Animals' 1974).

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, melmerby said:

The latest annoying thing in Birmingham is these high powered electric bikes, now the favourite transport of the food delivery idiots.

No numberplate and presumably no tax or insurance and as quick as a small petrol motorbike.

I wonder whether they are even legally allowable on public thoroughfares in the UK?

Generally if they give assistance over 15mph they are not e-bikes and should be licensed under motorcycle rules.

one manufacturer sells them as fully legal for uk use, but their website details the easy (move one wire apparently) modification to unlock the higher power mode if you want it for private roads….!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2