The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, billbedford said:

It's a much more interesting phenomenon than that. At its most basic, people decide not to have children. It starts at different times in different countries. There is evidence* for a date of the mid-18th century in France, 1870s in Britain and 1945 in Japan. Economics probably has some influence, but not in the way described. 

* Particularly Case Studies #3 & # 4

I would think that the military losses in WW2 had a lot to do with that.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Agreed, economics did have some influence, there's an excellent video on YT that explains this very well. A TED talk by Hans and Ola Rosling with 24 million views so far. Healthy and wealthy countries used to have a declining birth rate for good reasons. 

It also explains why zoo chimps score better in general knowledge quizzes than our university intelligentsia.

Sadly we now also have a declining rate because some of our children have succumbed to the endless propoganda that We're All Doomed, and don't want to bring any more children into what they keep getting told is an apocalyptic world. As we sow, so shall we reap.

TBH, I think the crap economic prospects facing far too many of our young people exert far more influence than any existential threat.

Without the ability to obtain stable employment and accommodation, starting a family begins to look plain stupid. If they do, child care will cost the income of one partner, if it's even possible to obtain enough hours.... 

By the time it looks practical, life may well have taken them in other directions, far from the social and financial norms facing my generation in our twenties and thirties.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, Danemouth said:

I'm so old I remember when this thread was about Whacky Signs😃

Dave

My grandad was a lollipop man who was arrested for "losing" his equipment. He denied everything but, when they searched his house, all the signs were there.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 17

32 minutes ago, 33C said:

My grandad was a lollipop man who was arrested for "losing" his equipment. He denied everything but, when they searched his house, all the signs were there.

Thank you...   🥳

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 33C said:

2 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

But that should be in the jokes thread .    😀

Whacky sign of the times...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I can only imagine this in the Rob Brydon pessimistic Welshman Satnav voice, ‘see, you’ll ‘ave to do a u-turn now, won’t you’…

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

image.png.2f98826e1fc04a994e1a164fa40a145d.png

Must have been created by one of those idiots, who suggest you keep going around in the leftmost lane, until you find the intended exit!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 29/02/2024 at 20:59, 33C said:

<snip>

The lower birth rate is related directly to economics. If you cannot afford a child, sensibly you don't have one. If you still go ahead, the welfare system will only go so far. Not many people seem or can, also, be able to save for their future, which is a disaster in the making and a lot are going to have a shock when, or if, they reach retirement age and think the government of the day will look after them. "Make your own luck" is one of my mottos! 

Theres is an interesting article in the Guardian today on this subject:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/mar/03/fertility-rates-are-falling-in-the-rich-world-but-still-plenty-of-people-to-go-round

It is the rich people who are not having children,  Apparantly the prediction is that the world's population will top in 2086.  

Edited by Vistisen
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 01/03/2024 at 21:33, J. S. Bach said:

Thread drift, don't you just love it!

It is almost a irregular verb,

I make interesting debate, you argue, he causes thread drift!

Edited by Vistisen
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Vistisen said:

It is the rich people who are not having children.  

If that is the case what will happen to all that wealth?