Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

I bought Patriot 45512 'Bunsen' on a whim early last year. I am 99.999999% sure that Bunsen never got within 30 miles of Bacup, or any Patriot for that matter (although Andy C tells me that he has proof of one on the Oldham Loop). 

My excuse for it (and it may well be renumbered and renamed) is Wakes Week. I would dearly love a Jubilee too but from what I have read on David Hey's photo pages, the only one anyone can ever remember seeing on the branch (albeit the Facit branch) was one that was being cut up (at Wardleworth?)

Great shots Jason, Black and White images really do work on Mill Town type scenes and produce that wonderful smokey atmosphere.

I bet Jeff cant wait to see it, it looks so good.

Re the chimneys, No shows to deadline for, so no hurry, I know its just a personal thing and you must look at the old or missing ones when you walk in the room, but as I say, no hurry to finish it off.

Enjoy the running.

Bodge :sungum:

Excellent photos , really like the shots over the rooftops and the goods train awaiting departure .

Great modelling .and photography .

Brian

• RMweb Premium

I bought Patriot 45512 'Bunsen' on a whim early last year. I am 99.999999% sure that Bunsen never got within 30 miles of Bacup, or any Patriot for that matter (although Andy C tells me that he has proof of one on the Oldham Loop). 

My excuse for it (and it may well be renumbered and renamed) is Wakes Week. I would dearly love a Jubilee too but from what I have read on David Hey's photo pages, the only one anyone can ever remember seeing on the branch (albeit the Facit branch) was one that was being cut up (at Wardleworth?)

Jason, why are you so worried? If you want one, RUN one - who is to know. And look at it this way.... if you are finding it so hard to find evidence of Bunsen (Patriot)/a Jubilee in the immediate vicinity of Bacup, anyone else will find it just as difficult to find evidence to contradict you!

Go for it!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Derailed? There is a ground signal by the wheel on the second trailer's rear bogie but it's on the tracks - I drove it in :)

I'll resist temptation Jeff although if you want to bring one of yours along for a play, you're more than welcome. You can bring a Class 40 too, if you really want to push temptation my way :D

• Like 2

Yes J, I'm with Jeff on this one, I have Class 50's, NOT FOR WYE DALE, but you can bet your bottom dollar that when the doors are closed and I'm inside it will come out to play, WHY? because I like it.

I have Bunsen and it came second hand factory chip fitted, someone has set the CV's up and I just wish I could read what the settings are, (Gaugemaster wont read Hornby Chips) it is such a lovely runner, slow starter, crawl, nice slow stopping just a beautiful loco. The only thing I did was to have the emblem changed to Late Crest and a bit more weathering.

post-9335-0-59198800-1389982979_thumb.jpg

Bodge :sungum:  

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Derailed? There is a ground signal by the wheel on the second trailer's rear bogie but it's on the tracks - I drove it in :)

I'll resist temptation Jeff although if you want to bring one of yours along for a play, you're more than welcome. You can bring a Class 40 too, if you really want to push temptation my way :D

Jason, I'll happily bring a Jubilee and a 40 - both with sound. I think a bit of temptation is a fair exchange for the inspiration you'll provide to get me scratchbuilding again!

Jeff

Jason, I'll happily bring a Jubilee and a 40 - both with sound. I think a bit of temptation is a fair exchange for the inspiration you'll provide to get me scratchbuilding again!

Jeff

I would love to be a fly on the wall when you two meet up again, or maybe you could make a video of the occasion  :no:

edit spelling to / two

Edited by billyb_imp

Apologies Jason, it was an optical illusion on my screen. A blow-up proves the trailing wheels on the leading bogie are on the rails...

post-6680-0-69394100-1389989406.jpg

When you said you weren't sure if a Patriot had been to Bacup, I took this as a historical modeller speaking. Oldham Wakes brought with all sorts of odd motive power and was a case of anything that steamed got roped in. So L&Y 0-6-0s double heading Austerity 2-8-0s from the local shed (Lees) were not unusual working round to Rochdale before being replaced by something more suitable for the run to Blackpool or wherever. Some trains started from Greenfield in order to mop up residents living just outside Oldham. On this score some excursions might have started from Bacup (depends on the line's weight restrictions) using motive power from Newton Heath. I just don't know what is feasable as the Bairstow book on Bacup only gives it slim coverage.

• RMweb Premium

Oh believe me, we definitely NEED A VIDEO, but this time Jeff, No blowing your own trumpet. hahahha

Bodettrie :sungum:

No problem! It won't be the last post for Bacup....

I would love to be a fly on the wall when you two meet up again, or maybe you could make a video of the occasion  :no:

edit spelling to / two

Billy, if it's as much fun as the 2 days when Jason "played" on KL, it'll be fantastic....

Remember to take off the couplings Jeff, the moulded hooks will (just about) work with three links

If I don't remember, I'm sure you'll remind me!

Jeff

• Like 2

Jason, why are you so worried? If you want one, RUN one - who is to know. And look at it this way.... if you are finding it so hard to find evidence of Bunsen (Patriot)/a Jubilee in the immediate vicinity of Bacup, anyone else will find it just as difficult to find evidence to contradict you!

Go for it!

Jeff

Devotees of "hard science" science fiction are always sniffy about one of my favourite authors, Ray Bradbury, because his "Martian Chronicles" depict a Mars which differs quite a lot from the real Red Planet. However, as SF writer and editor Brian Aldiss points out, the stories are not set on the real Mars, but on Ray Bradbury's Mars, and are the better stories for it. Similarly, Jason's Bacup differs from the real Bacup because that's how he (and the rest of us) like it. It seems to me that to alter the structure of a real town to make it possible to get the essence of it into the spare room yet be reluctant to run a favourite loco because it was never diagrammed to work into that town is to strain at a gnat and swallow a camel. Evoke Chaos Theory! Things didn't happen as they did because it was impossible for them to have taken a different course. I'm sure that a real railwayman could think of plenty of reasons why a particular loco could have been sent elsewhere than where it did go!

• Like 1

... Photos are great Jason, you've really taken to that camera  :imsohappy:

As I said a year back; "if Jason turned his energies to serious photography the results would knock our eyes out"; and, later: "just wait 'til Jason really masters that excellent camera!"

Did I win my bet?

• RMweb Premium

This weekend, other than going for a walk up to Cullingworth and Hewenden Viaduct on the old Queensbury to Keighley GNR line, I have been getting on with some boring but necessary jobs. Firstly, I put insulation tape on the sides of the FY cassettes, which to all intents and purposes is the fiddle yard now completed and tested (quite extensively ;) ).

There have been a few areas of scenery that have been neglected for quite a while.

Firstly, the road overbridge and corresponding road that masks the exit to the fiddle yard has been in a state of limbo since I built the sloping houses last year. The bridge was left removeable and there was no road surface or pavements down.S

So, I scribed the pavements into Plastikard, trimmed them to shape (a bit awkward where they cross the bridge due to the ironwork, and then painted and weathered them a mix of grey and brown. I then took some weathering powders to the bridge itself and although it still needs more work, it doesn't look quite as monotone as it once did. With that done, I could then glue it and the pavements down, followed by adding the gas lamps.

The road surface on this minor road (with the pavement on one side only) will be the Redutex Stone Setts. I have one sheet all painted up (they do come painted but are a bit plain and benefit from toning down and a load more brown adding to the colour) but need a few more so have ordered a few and will paint them at the same time to ensure consistency.

On the non-pavement site, there will be a small overgrown verge at some point.

I had some grey paint left over so for some reason, decided to paint the road surface (that will be covered up)

Progressonsmallthings003_zps2873fe7b.jpg

The bridge definitely needs more work; no soot marks yet for starters

Progressonsmallthings007_zps2b669136.jpg

I thought I would take a shot with the one sheet of Redutex plonked against the pavement. Before I do lay it, I will add a gutter along the edge

Progressonsmallthings008_zps1bc46ef0.jpg

I also had a bit of a mess around with the main terraced house street. There has been one drain on the street for ages; there are now quite a few more. They stand out a bit much at the moment

Progressonsmallthings006_zpsbd22df15.jpg

The white splodgy area is the alley between the two terraces which up until now, has a weird step because the road slopes and the alley is level. Not any more. I shaved down cutoffs of mounting board and glued them together, and then covered this with a layer of Texture Paste which is waiting to set before it can be smoothed out properly and painted up.

Progressonsmallthings005_zpscb62ccf5.jpg

Of the last two items, I would guess that nobody would have ever noticed them if I had left them be but I did. Every time I looked at it. Every bloody time.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

They are from 51L Wizard Models, pack TBE006 Manhole Covers and Grates; Pattern 1 - Older Styles.

I must have got them at an exhibition ages ago, most likely from yer man on the MSE stand.

• Like 1