RMweb

Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

Great set of pics again Jason, the layout looks better every time I see it.

Before settling on my final plan I kept thinking of Frank Dyers Borchester Market and just how prototypical that is. Having seen it at the Nottingham show at the beginning of the year it is so good, just a shame that the operators kept telling me that the reason no trains were running is because they had to stick to the timetable. I went back about 3 times to Video some movement, eventually getting a carriage shunting move.

Glad your settled and now we can have even more great pics, do you have a room to do your spaying / weathering / Building building?

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Woo hoo, 100,000 views. I remember getting excited when the thread topped 1,000 views all those years ago. Of course, it pales into insignificance compared to Gilbert's Peterborough North and Jeff's Kirkby Luneside but it's another milestone. I honestly thought that nobody would be interested in it :D

• Like 10

I was going to tick a DISAGREE with you last sentence, but that would be rude.

Its a cracking piece of model making, almost to the extreme, that's why people stop by for a look mate.

Next milestone = 2000 post's both for Bacup and your good self. :O

Andy :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Woo hoo, 100,000 views. I remember getting excited when the thread topped 1,000 views all those years ago. Of course, it pales into insignificance compared to Gilbert's Peterborough North and Jeff's Kirkby Luneside but it's another milestone. I honestly thought that nobody would be interested in it :D

It gets the attention your brilliant modelling deserves Jason. I love layouts that give a real sense of time and place, and Bacup does that so very well. Congratulations, and the next 100,000 won't be long in coming.

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Jason.

I agree with everyone else, your layout is absolutely worth 100,000 views, and many more!

You have inspired me, and countless others, to have a go at scratchbuilding.

Thank You.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks folks :)

When I say that I didn't think people would be interested, it's because I wasn't sure if I could actually do most of the things that I have managed, e.g. build turnouts, scratchbuild the buildings to an ok level, etc. The original plan for Bacup was mapped out in anyrail as I was intending to use Peco Code 75; it was only down to the fact that the track plan didn't flow with Peco's geometry that I bit the bullet and bought a load of PCB and bullhead rail.

This has been a huge learning curve for me, all of it.

Here is the original Anyrail (Peco) plan. No real flow. I also changed the plan slightly, losing the goods loop as the radius was just too tight.

bacupvariation2.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Jason, if they're not interested in all the magnificent work you've put in - with fantastic results - they shouldn't be on RMweb!!

Congrats on the 100,000 views. Here's to the next 100,000 - it'll come quicker than you think!

As for KL - well, I blame the Lunesters for all those posts!

Jeff

Happy new year. :locomotive: Great modeling. Was hoping to get over to Frizinghall today to look at the lanky tank. Didn't make it. Yours looks the business. Still think you should exhibit the layout. It moves o.k you proved it! 

... Still think you should exhibit the layout. It moves o.k you proved it! 

In one of his books, Cyril Freezer differentiated between a portable and a transportable layout, a portable one being one that can easily be taken apart and readily taken to another site or exhibition; a transportable one that may be relocated with significant inconvenience. I think that Jason has already made it clear that he regards “Bacup” as being the latter, and I'm sure that a well-planned exhibition layout will make an appearance in his own good time!

Jason: Thanks for entertaining and informing us with your modelling posts; I wish you and yours a happy and prosperous New Year.

• RMweb Premium

<p>A great layout, Jason, and an honour to meet you (and one of your models) at Butterley.</p>

<p>Look forward to the next 100.000 <strike>posts</strike> views. <span style="font-size:12px;">[edit - see post below!  Well it is late!]</span></p>

<p> </p>

<p>All the best for the New Year.</p>

<p>Polly</p>

Edited by southern42

Jason

Looking forward to the developments, updates, information and knowledge over the next year.

You never know, we might even get chance to catch up in 2014.

Happy new year to yourself and Sophia

Duncan