Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

Here goes then:

Apart

FiddlyLampPosts022_zps1b5dc0bf.jpg

Together:

FiddlyLampPosts012_zps95212f3e.jpg

(excuse the mass of odd PCB - the original idea was a bit different)

Most of the cassettes - DMU in a non-DMU one :) :

FiddlyLampPosts013_zpsd31491a9.jpg

Various stages of lamp construction:

FiddlyLampPosts014_zps5355a8a6.jpg

Planted street lamp:

FiddlyLampPosts016_zpsedd76dfd.jpg

Platform lamp:

FiddlyLampPosts017_zpse9312df4.jpg

• Like 14

The cassette system fiddle yard looks very interesting something to bear in mind for the future, I am going for the ladder system myself with all the associated issues you highlight but it seems right for my layout, will be back-soon to see how your cassette system is coming along.  :O

Great pics as usual of your scenic's, superb.  :declare:

• RMweb Premium

The fiddle yard is proving to be a huge task, but a necessary one. Because of where the two tracks exit the scenic boards (at the back of the layout basically), my preferred option of traverser was a no go (not enough room to move the traverser over). A ladder style FY (which is what it had in Oxford, using Peco turnouts) wastes a lot of space, adds complexity due to the requirements of turnout motors, wiring, etc., and are also a bit awkward for accessing and changing stock if required.

As such, the only practical option was cassettes. These are made using aluminium attached to wooden bases, spaced out to track width (obviously). Alignment and connectivity will be (and is on the test section) by brass strips on the right hand side of each cassette. There are a number of different length cassettes; two 2 car DMU ones, two that will take 3 coaches or the equivalent in wagons, two that will take the maximum length of train that will fit in the run-rounds and headshunt and finally, three (so far) for locos.

When a train exits the FY, the loco cassette will be placed at the front with it's train's cassette added behind. When it enters the FY, the cassettes will be the opposite way round so that the loco can be uncoupled, run into it's cassette and removed; for the train it hauled the guards van will be removed (and swapped to the other end) ready for the next time it is used. I stole these ideas from other places :D

The base for the cassettes is ply on a series of risers, set to the height of the tracks on the scenic board.

If you're gonna steal, that's the way to do it.  :jester:

As to the gas lamps, if it gets dark just put a lamp lighter on the street at the beginning of his round. You can blame him, then, if they don't light up. :mosking:

Anyway, the gas lamps look great and give character to Bacup - added value and all that.  Better than the LED one next door to us which just casts its spooky light over the car (not ours) standing underneath it.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

I'll try Jaz although as they are black and most of the buildings are getting on for the same tone, they don't really stand out too much (which is kind of what I wanted).

The station lamps are LNWR ones but not too different to the ones at real Bacup. I'm in good company using them as Andy C used them on New Hey too. See, I told you I stole ideas :D

I also bought some etched brass LMS platform seats from Langley but it'll be a while before I pluck up the courage to solder them together. Most of the ones on the platform currently are the rather crap Skaledale ones that not only look awful but are too tall and fall over if a sparrow farts within 500 yards of them. Just noticed that one of them has tipped itself over. Stupid Skaledale.

• RMweb Gold

Never really looked at the Langley street lamps before (bought quite a lot of Mikes Models ones cheap years ago), they look good, I need some for Greyscroft at some time but as these would have been electric probably from the start ('Company Town' - when the mine got a generating plant the village was wired up also) I'm not sure what type would have been used.

Cassettes look good too.

• RMweb Premium

Those cassettes do look good, but you might need to add overhead handles to aid picking them up, especially the longer ones.

And something to go on the ends. 

I was at a show when I heard a rushing sound, quickly followed by a series of crashes (and some non-forum words). When I looked round there was this poor chap holding a cassette at a slight angle surrounded by a pile of broken model wagons. :O  This Tommy Cooper trick got a bit boring after the third time. :)

I like the new additions.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thing is, there is no real need to turn the cassettes and hardly any lifting required, especially of the longer cassettes which will spend their out of use time slid to the side. If it were an exhibition layout then I would agree wholeheartedly.

When Jeff comes round to play in a few weeks time, I will just make sure he knows where the emergency stop button is :D

I reckon it will be fine Stu. It is quite rare that I operate when drunk :)

Drunk or sober, Murphy's law applies. After a momentary lapse of concentration led to my Pug doing a lemming leap (and after I'd spent half an hour crawling about the floor looking for bits), I slotted the ends of mine to take card stoppers.

• RMweb Premium

Thing is, there is no real need to turn the cassettes and hardly any lifting required, especially of the longer cassettes which will spend their out of use time slid to the side. If it were an exhibition layout then I would agree wholeheartedly.

When Jeff comes round to play in a few weeks time, I will just make sure he knows where the emergency stop button is :D

I think that would probably be a good idea, Jason!!

I'm glad to see the layout has survived its most recent upheaval and I can't wait to have a play.

As well as doing some scratchbuilding, of course!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks George. It's lovely being able to actually operate although the temptation to play is a worry as there is still a lot to do. The lack of chimney pots on the majority of houses is really starting to grate now; I have a bulk order of 250 castellated pots coming sometime (when Freestone get round to casting them for me), painting and weathering all of them up before attaching them to the houses is not a task I am particularly looking forward to (especially as I will be replacing the ones that have already been added to some of the houses)

The layout is looking well Jason. I like the view across the Corrie style rooftops. Those Langley gaslamps have got me thinking too. One thought regarding locomotives. You are bound to be having a couple of push pull fitted L&Y 2-4-2Ts but what happens when you fancy something 'express'. Can we expect Duke of Gloucester turning up on a Bacup Wakes Adex to Blackpool? :)

Edited by coachmann