Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

Therein lies a story Larry. With us moving house this weekend and not knowing when Hattons were going to get them in or how long they would take to arrive with Christmas post being the way it is, I took the decision to change my postal address to the new place. So, chances are, when I get the keys on Friday, there will be a note there from the Post Office to go and collect it.

With hindsight, as we have the keys to this place (as in our current house) until the 31st and it is about 1/4 mile from the new place, I should have left things the way they were.

Of course, I do already have a Radial, a belpaire one, although it is currently still just a load of etches sat in a London Road box.

• Like 2

I do already have a Radial, a belpaire one, although it is currently still just a load of etches sat in a London Road box.

That interest me greatly. I have already enquired about the old NuCast Belpaire and wasn't aware of the London Road etches. Can one obtain the body etches on their own I wonder....

• RMweb Premium

I did wonder about that myself, e.g. using a Bachmann chassis and the LRM body but (and assuming I can make a good enough job of the chassis) would the LRM chassis be superior to the Bachmann one? I suspect it would (same disclaimer about my skills....)

I should have said I might have been aware of the London Road kit but had forgotten...... My memory is crap at times and maybe Jol had told me about it in the past.  I have just emailed LRM to enquire about the Belpaire 2-4-2T so I will keep you informed. I had intended building a boiler from styrene sheet plus all the saddle etc but I would prefer a complete etched body to build.

How are you going to do your dollies i have put these up from horrocksford in clitheroe if they help it is the one with route indicator on ( s to the siding & m to cross to the down line to hellifield hope these help

How are you going to do your dollies i have put these up from horrocksford in clitheroe if they help it is the one with route indicator on ( s to the siding & m to cross to the down line to hellifield hope these help

post-12366-0-38957300-1387352303_thumb.jpg

post-12366-0-96653900-1387352321_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The layout is temporarily broken up, awaiting the house move on Saturday but whilst I had the boards apart, I took the opportunity to have a bash at the grass, etc., in the field between the railway and the mill / cottages that was a bit plain previously, with just a covering of rather bright static grass on it that would be fine for a grazed summer meadow but not for a bit of waste land next to a railway. It still needs further work but it has got me thinking about the boundary fence between the railway and surrounding properties.

A while ago, I picked up some Slaters wire fence posts as a possible solution to the boundary (I have a load of Peco lineside fencing but don't want to use that as it's a bit, well, basic). Before I paint the posts up and add them though, a question or two for you more knowledgeable types out there.

Firstly, would this type of fence post be used in such a location?

Secondly, where would the boundary line between the railway and the adjoining line run? Would it be at the edge of the cess or further back, and would the section of land between the wooden fence (e.g. that which runs along the alley at the back of the houses) and the retaining wall be left as it is or also fenced off, despite there being a wooden fence there already? 

Some photos may help.

The 'field'

Scenery001_zps36ef8f39.jpg

The posts (still on the moulding)

Scenery004_zps6f91e580.jpg

Where would the fence line run?

Scenery002_zps9c357314.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

• Like 9

Who 'owns' that land Jason? In the photos it looks well fenced off already and, as far as the photos show, there is no other obvious owner such as an adjacent house or business.

Just wondering whether it could be considered railway land and wouldn't therefore need extra fencing?

• RMweb Premium

Not sure who owns it really although there is a gate into the mill yard. I guess I always thought of it as just scrub land and that's it.

Fenced off though, and I could have a scruffy old horse in there. Looking back, I wish I'd made it into allotments but it's a bit late now.

• RMweb Premium

Not sure who owns it really although there is a gate into the mill yard. I guess I always thought of it as just scrub land and that's it.

Fenced off though, and I could have a scruffy old horse in there. Looking back, I wish I'd made it into allotments but it's a bit late now.

Hi Jason

Better be quick with that fence or the horse will have a caravan and bits of a transit to keep it company.

Clive

Who is a poshrat.

• RMweb Premium

The thing with the 'field' is that it is not only an awkward shape for building on but it is also on pretty uneven ground, with the level at the gate quite a bit lower than the railway, although rising to higher than the railway in between and obviously along the fence line at the back of the houses. It didn't really lend itself to having any structure on it and because of the mill being where it is, the line of the houses is dictated by the road that passes next to the mill.

The mill itself is built on two levels with the section behind the retaining wall (which you would need to look at older photos to see what I mean) being lower than the section that is directly behind the gate - the access road that passes in front of the viewable elevation climbs from left to right, as can be seen by the angle of the wall. Basically, there isn't much level ground at all outside of the railway boundary and all the buildings have been constructed to reflect this (which is the reason that most have deep 'foundations').

• RMweb Gold

As said, the fenceline should be through, or just trackside, of the nearest bush at the top of the bank. Then stick a couple of horses with blankets on in the field, with a dilapidated stable/ shed against one wall.

Don't forget the grass /ground cover would be different each side of the fence.

• Like 1