Farish Presflos

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

Just seen Ben Ando's review in the new 'Model Rail'--surprised and disappointed to see they don't have NEMs but plug-in couplers; I assume this is for technical reasons because of the short (10'6'') wheelbase but I think the new GN vans and opens will have NEMs with a 10' wheelbase.

Just seen Ben Ando's review in the new 'Model Rail'--surprised and disappointed to see they don't have NEMs but plug-in couplers; I assume this is for technical reasons because of the short (10'6'') wheelbase but I think the new GN vans and opens will have NEMs with a 10' wheelbase.

It'll probably be because Presflos have hopper bits hanging down just where you want to put the NEM stuff for going around corners.

Chris

I am getting confused. Do the Presflos have NEM coupler pockets (NEM352) with plug in couplers (NEM357) but without the close coupling arms (NEM 352 and 355)? My experience with continental stock where the outer axle is close to the headstock is that with close coupling arms the gap between vehicles becomes exaggerated and buffers can still be separated by a largish gap even on the straight. Bogie pivots and axles just get in the way of the geometry and engineering needed.

Mike

Edit on 7 December: Now I have seen Ben's review it looks like these will candidates for the Dapol NEM pocket conversion to replace the conventional clip-on box.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I didn't say which weekend :blush:

Possibly a bit late as anyone who was thinking of getting some will probably have done so by now. But here they are anyway.

Snowcrete version:

post-7489-0-08918500-1323527030_thumb.jpg

And the other side, showing the detailed pipework:

post-7489-0-26877800-1323527037_thumb.jpg

There's a slight problem with the signage as the bottom shows signs of having been broken off a sprue or something:

post-7489-0-25486900-1323527040_thumb.jpg

Nothing that a bit of weathering wouldn't disguise, but you can see the uneven finish in the previous photos as the slight missing bit in the midde of the sign.

Some of the detail is pretty impressive - note the handle for discharging (I assume):

post-7489-0-40744800-1323527043_thumb.jpg

Ladder is a little on the chunky side, a shame it can't be as fine as the handrails on the top:

post-7489-0-80027400-1323527046_thumb.jpg

The other one I purchased was the less fancy 'Bulk Cement' version:

post-7489-0-23256400-1323527053_thumb.jpg

The other side, again showing the fancy pipework. Note the gauge under the first 'E' in 'Cement' - very neat!

post-7489-0-09364500-1323527050_thumb.jpg

Printing is good, the blurriness here is more my camera than the model:

post-7489-0-90517300-1323527055_thumb.jpg

Probably reaching the limit of what can be achieved with N gauge printing. This text is partially readable I would say - and from normal viewing distance it looks perfectly acceptable. Some of the words can be made out though, which given their size is amazing.

post-7489-0-73456200-1323527058_thumb.jpg

You get coupling hooks and air pipes to fit in the box:

post-7489-0-62964700-1323527061_thumb.jpg

Very, very nice indeed.

Printing is good, the blurriness here is more my camera than the model:

post-7489-0-90517300-1323527055_thumb.jpg

Probably reaching the limit of what can be achieved with N gauge printing. This text is partially readable I would say - and from normal viewing distance it looks perfectly acceptable. Some of the words can be made out though, which given their size is amazing.

Very, very nice indeed.

Remarkable! I like the way that the maintenance panel contrasts the pre-printed left hand entries and the hand painted dates.

Paul Bartlett

That handle would be to alter the brake application according to whether the wagon was laden or unladen.

Just looking at the different models on the Farish website Bernard and this seems to have been a later addition to Presflos? The earlier ones don't seem to have it.

I suspect it might be more that the APCM ones normally ran in block trains, whereas the general service Presflos would run with other wagons. It must make a big difference if 20 odd wagons are full or empty, whereas one or two in a train won't have the same effect. It's good attention to detail - notice too how the pressure dial on the side is set lower on the one with the board on the side.

Just looking at the different models on the Farish website Bernard and this seems to have been a later addition to Presflos? The earlier ones don't seem to have it.

The earliest batches had only a single vacuum cylinder, the double cylinder appears to have been introduced with lot 3156 in 1958. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brpresflo

The APCM had double cylinders. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/apcmpresflo

Paul Bartlett

Well I tried gently prising one off and it made a cracking sound like the glue was breaking so I backed off.

Tried some photos with a light behind so you can see what's holding it on - looks like there's two bits, I'm not sure if there's holes in the side of the Presflo itself or just lugs on the back of the sign.

post-7489-0-65479300-1323716056_thumb.jpg

post-7489-0-32686500-1323716059_thumb.jpg

post-7489-0-55417600-1323716061_thumb.jpg

Summary? Really don't know matey. It's too close/tight behind the sign to see how it fits together.

I wonder if the OO version might give you a clue?

I ordered 2 of the 3 packs of the weathered variety from Osbornes on Friday - they were on the doorstep Sunday morning. :)

They look very good, the printing is amazing. I'll have to see if I can get some pics up before Christmas.

STEVE

Now I have seen Ben's review it looks like these will candidates for the Dapol NEM pocket conversion to replace the conventional clip-on box.

But will it fit? If the the problem is insufficient space for an NEM pocket then presumably the Dapol one will not fit either.

• RMweb Gold

Did the Presflows need special equipment for unloading or could they unloaded on Team/loading track with access for a cement lorry with some kind of pump.

And is it plausible to send them on a branchline to a station where a larger construction site is in the neighborhood?

yours

Markus

• RMweb Premium

Did the Presflows need special equipment for unloading or could they unloaded on Team/loading track with access for a cement lorry with some kind of pump.

And is it plausible to send them on a branchline to a station where a larger construction site is in the neighborhood?

yours

Markus

Yes the Presflos can be unloaded into a road vehicle;'' British Railways Today and Tomorrow'' (1962) says: ''The wagon is loaded by gravity and at the receiving end of its journey the cement is discharged by air pressure to a storage silo or to a pressurised road vehicle, using either a stationary compressed air supply or a portable air compressor''

No excuse for not getting some now Markus!

• 2 weeks later...

Can't answer the question directly Dave, I'll happily measure them for you but it'll be a ruler job as I don't have a micrometer.

I would guess the Model Rail review would include as assessment of the dimensional accuracy. Alternatively, since these are scaled down from the OO version then if that was correct I would assume the N gauge version would also be correct, but 'assume' is the key word there :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Pleased to say I've now got a couple of close-coupled Presflos by fitting Bachmann 'dummy knuckle couplers' (item 42532) in place of the Rapidos. I got these from Model Junction, Slough, (usual disclaimer). A great improvement, with no problems on small radius points but a fiddly job with those springs flying off into the carpet! These couplings seem to be the answer for the short-wheelbase wagons in the Farish range where NEM pockets aren't practical, so long as standard couplers are at the end of a rake.

Pleased to say I've now got a couple of close-coupled Presflos by fitting Bachmann 'dummy knuckle couplers' (item 42532) in place of the Rapidos.

A useful find, thanks for the tip. I might try some of these on the inner ends of my Dapol B-sets which are also not graced with NEM pockets.

Archived