Flying Pig

Just had a look at those Rails of Sheffield pics posted by Rob earlier.... is it me, or are the handrail knobs smaller than those on the older release....? I seem to remember, looking at a mates older model that they were quite chunky...

I've sometimes wondered why Hornby didn't go for the V2 when they revamped their A3s and A4s a while back, unless they'd already got wind that Bachmann were going to upgrade their's (sightly).

Boo Hoo .Five days away from the computer to return and find the long awaited Durham School sold out at both Hattons and Rails.The note on tthe Hattons site seems to suggest no more are available.Ever? Does anyone know where they are available?

Ron.

Guest Tom F

Boo Hoo .Five days away from the computer to return and find the long awaited Durham School sold out at both Hattons and Rails.The note on tthe Hattons site seems to suggest no more are available.Ever? Does anyone know where they are available?

Ron.

Hi Ron

I must say this is all quite odd. There seems to be no sign of Durham School on at all and all that shows up is Green Arrow in search results. Fingers crossed this shows Bachmann how popular the V2 is..... Hint Hint.... ;)

Interstingly the one I ordered on Saturday hasn't had its status updated to picking list yet.

Ron.

Have you googled, or even phoned up. There will be a number of shops who have yet to recieve their stock, so unless they're gone on pre-orders, they will have some available.

May I suggest for starters (No connection other than satisfied customer at various points in the past)

Peters Spares

Holt Model Railways

The Signal Box

East Kent Models

Model Railways Direct (who are showing 5 in stock)

There's more to life than the box shifters!

Easy, tigers.... :stinker:

I don't imagine for one second that Bachmann are restricting the size of the V2 runs, it has literally only just been received in initial quantities, and inevitably stockists receive their allocations progressively. Generally there are enough of these catalogue factory runs to go around, and sometimes a wee bit of patience is key. There was obviously much pent-up demand for the revised V2 range (despite its known shortcomings!); once this has settled down, every indication is that these will become an established member of the Bachmann line-up for a model generation to come (however many years that is, ten?). Like others on here I have a need in my plans for several, but am perfectly happy to let the supply side sort itself out before I commit plastic to desktop, and digit to keyboard.

If an urgent purchase is essential (birthday prezzie, exhibition commitment) then I'm sure that a bit of deft Googling of the usual suspects will fulfil these early adopters.

Looking at the advert they do seem to be an atypical selection of prototypes.

It does look like they have one eye on collectors and the other on those who want an updated undrcarriage regardless of what is on top.

I will wait for a single chimney, monobloc cylinder, early or late insignia, green version.

Then I can decide on what to turn it into.

Bernard

Just had a look at those Rails of Sheffield pics posted by Rob earlier.... is it me, or are the handrail knobs smaller than those on the older release....? I seem to remember, looking at a mates older model that they were quite chunky...

I've sometimes wondered why Hornby didn't go for the V2 when they revamped their A3s and A4s a while back, unless they'd already got wind that Bachmann were going to upgrade their's (sightly).

Fom advertising and review photos I've seen I cannot tell if the handrails and staunchions are finer than those on the old model, the boiler handrail looks fairly fine to me, the rather large staunchions around the cab and tender front look the same as ever. I expect my 60860 in BR black to arrive here in NZ in about a week (luckier than some others with a Hattons order on Friday when 3 were listed as in stock).

Quite disappointed that BR green double chimney 60682 is also out of stock at Hattons and Rails, although there are some presumably around from other retailers as listed by another contributor.

I don't normally use Rails as they charge postage etc to NZ 'at cost' where Hattons, Kernows and Modefair offer a fixed price for the service defined, the latter to me is more reassuring. For what it's worth it takes 4-10 days for delivery to NZ by tracked air or priority air mail, at 8-15 Pounds, and with no VAT makes typical RTR 00 engines good value.

When I can afford 60862 I might buy one with an aftermarket chimney. I look forward to seeing these 're vamped' models, having been inspired by Irwell Press and Peter Coster's 'The Book of of the V2 2-6-2s'.. where some fantastic runs, and many subtleties of LNER engineering are covered, with very fine writing.

Rob

Looking at the advert they do seem to be an atypical selection of prototypes.

It does look like they have one eye on collectors and the other on those who want an updated undrcarriage regardless of what is on top.

I will wait for a single chimney, monobloc cylinder, early or late insignia, green version.

Then I can decide on what to turn it into.

Bernard

As to 'atypical selection of (V2) prototypes', I beg to disagree. The LNER class leader represents to initial 1935 Gresley idea, as well as the NRM guise. The monobloc single chimney early crest black BR version 60860 represents the most common working-life guise. The separate steam-pipe double chimney late green BR version 60862 represents the very best design and performance mix, as also evinced by late BR A4s and A3s. With double chimneys V2s steamed extremely well, and were capable of quite remarkable things, sustained streaming not having been a critical factor in most of the work to which they were put, except with certain express goods trains on thne ECML... work which 60862 was particularly engaged in and well-liked by crews. Even before being fitted with the double chimney I think she was popular at Top Shed.

So if three models are chosen, these three do rather cover the bases.

Rob

Guest Max Stafford

60860 is currently powering northwards from Liverpool en route to Kingmoor and is scheduled to become 60816 of Haymarket circa '56. I maintain that they always looked better in lined black anyway!

Dave.

Guest Tom F

60860 is currently powering northwards from Liverpool en route to Kingmoor and is scheduled to become 60816 of Haymarket circa '56. I maintain that they always looked better in lined black anyway!

Dave.

Ditto Dave, mine has left and it's on it's way to 50A.

All BR Black for me in my time period. I've become quite partial to them in black rather than BR Green. It must have been easier to tell the difference from A3s back then.

Once BR Green and outside steam pipes came in I bet many a young boy must have been disappointed at thinking what was a approaching was an A3!

I too prefer the lined black, though I am desperately going through the books and photographs to find one, any one, of a V2 in a particularly "odd" livery to include on London-Leeds. There must have been an oddball or two in the experimental years of BR, surely...?

Guest Tom F

I too prefer the lined black, though I am desperately going through the books and photographs to find one, any one, of a V2 in a particularly "odd" livery to include on London-Leeds. There must have been an oddball or two in the experimental years of BR, surely...?

The areas that may prove interesting for you Simon (and myself) is when it comes to lining. I'll be doing St Peter's School (50A V2) which when was ex works in 1949 came out without the boiler bands lined....I'm not sure how long she lasted like this mind. Of course she has to be awkward and have a different type of tender.

Do you have Yeadon's book on V2s and Power of the V2s? Both full of information and some cracking shots! :)

Can anyone give me details of how many V2's were modified in the early 60's in having outside steam pipes fitted. As I am modelling the early 60's the new double chimney model is what I will be using but I want to modify it to a single chimney. A list of numbers would be helpful along with tender type in use that era.

Thanks

silverlink

Guest Tom F

Can anyone give me details of how many V2's were modified in the early 60's in having outside steam pipes fitted. As I am modelling the early 60's the new double chimney model is what I will be using but I want to modify it to a single chimney. A list of numbers would be helpful along with tender type in use that era.

Thanks

silverlink

Hi Ian. I've just counted up the locos in RCTS book 6C and it appears 71 were fitted with outside steam pipes. Certainly a large number of the class. Roughly a 3rd I think. :)

The areas that may prove interesting for you Simon (and myself) is when it comes to lining. I'll be doing St Peter's School (50A V2) which when was ex works in 1949 came out without the boiler bands lined....I'm not sure how long she lasted like this mind. Of course she has to be awkward and have a different type of tender.

Do you have Yeadon's book on V2s and Power of the V2s? Both full of information and some cracking shots! :)

Neither at present, I keep getting outbid on eBay! :butcher:

Thanks for that information though, that's strange one indeed! I take it she had a GCR or NER tender then?

Guest Tom F

Neither at present, I keep getting outbid on eBay! :butcher:

Thanks for that information though, that's strange one indeed! I take it she had a GCR or NER tender then?

It was a group standard tender ( isn't it ironic the term standard when regarding LNER tenders)

It's the tender like that behind Green Arrow, both front and rear cut outs being equal length unlike 60860 which has the B1 type tender that has a small cut out at the front.

Although I'm away from home I have Power of the V2s with me and the RCTS book on the matter, so drop me a PM if you need any more info or ask directly in here. :)

Guest Tom F

For those interested in renumbering the double chimney V2 with outside steam pipes (60862), then there is only one other loco to run with this combination of chimney and steam pipes, 60881.

Have to say that's a really oddball loco for Bachmann to pick for their BR green edition. Are the steam pipes a separate item? In which case the possibilities may be greater (if they can be removed and the bodyshell remains a standard one underneath).

Tenders are going to be the bane of my existence from now until eternity. Not content with all of the A4s I have picked having different or specific spec tenders, the same appears to be happening for my intended fleet of V2s...!

Guest Tom F

Have to say that's a really oddball loco for Bachmann to pick for their BR green edition. Are the steam pipes a separate item? In which case the possibilities may be greater (if they can be removed and the bodyshell remains a standard one underneath).

Tenders are going to be the bane of my existence from now until eternity. Not content with all of the A4s I have picked having different or specific spec tenders, the same appears to be happening for my intended fleet of V2s...!

Tenders are nightmare for us modellers! Easiest thing is to find a photo of the loco you wish to model and use that as your reference. That can be easier said than done with the early nationalisation period.

This is where Power of the V2s is rather useful, plenty of York V2s (you would expect so with 50A having the largest allocation) plus quite a few early BR photographs.

Regarding the steam pipe removal, somebody mentioned earlier on my thread ( replying on phone so not easy to check back while typing) and the comments were that on the older models they came off without much hassle, so I'd guess this may still be the case. :)

I'm just slightly relieved that my eBay madness last year with buying single tenders has provided me with enough for the full fleet of A4s and A3s/A10s I need. The V2s may prove to be somewhat easy to swap over as, thankfully, they've changed the tender connection and now a K3 tender can substitute, surely...

Archived