Flying Pig

Guest Tom F

Well, even with all the inaccuracies, frankly, doing York MPD means I need them. So I'll be ordering two initially. I had considered getting a kit one commissioned, but I do get the feeling that eventually we will get a S/D someday, so I'd prefer to use the Bachmann one for now.

To be honest once renumbered, and weathered I think it will help hide some of the issues with the loco.

BR Black and early crest....just what York needs! :D

• RMweb Premium

I now have a green one on loan courtesy of Mr Wright. It does look much better, and the eye is drawn more to the chassis, which is excellent, and away from the fat boiler. It hauls a heavy nine coach train of kit built coaches without the slightest problem, and like the B1 runs almost silently and very smoothly. The chimney just unplugs if you want to replace it. It has the standard Bachmann loco/tender connection too, which does make me wonder why they didn't do that upgrade to the B1 as well. Even TW says it looks very nice. Ok, there are still issues, and scope for a better model to be made, but it's a hell of a lot better than the old one.

Well, even with all the inaccuracies, frankly, doing York MPD means I need them. So I'll be ordering two initially. I had considered getting a kit one commissioned, but I do get the feeling that eventually we will get a S/D someday, so I'd prefer to use the Bachmann one for now.

To be honest once renumbered, and weathered I think it will help hide some of the issues with the loco.

BR Black and early crest....just what York needs! :D

I now have a green one on loan courtesy of Mr Wright. It does look much better, and the eye is drawn more to the chassis, which is excellent, and away from the fat boiler. It hauls a heavy nine coach train of kit built coaches without the slightest problem, and like the B1 runs almost silently and very smoothly. The chimney just unplugs if you want to replace it. It has the standard Bachmann loco/tender connection too, which does make me wonder why they didn't do that upgrade to the B1 as well. Even TW says it looks very nice. Ok, there are still issues, and scope for a better model to be made, but it's a hell of a lot better than the old one.

I'm woundering the merits of sticking a Finney V2 body on to it.

If you can get the Bachmann V2 for about £90 by the time you get wheels and motor for a finney kit then this would be about £90 and the chassis is now done for you. My self and a friend are contemplating that.

I've recently seen an older one which was modified with a better dome and chimney. Although knowing the boiler's shape is still incorrect, the model looked a hundred times better. The new chassis really helps the overall look too. I think I might go for one as a test of sorts, to put on a new dome and chimney and see what it looks like after that.

Glad to hear the new V2 chassis is as good as the B1s.

Guest Tom F

For Mr Wright to say it looks nice is one heck of a compliment. I've got two on pre order from hattons. I'm modelling York, and simply can't do with out them since 50A had the biggest allocation at one point I believe. The prospect of having to kit build/commission several is a far more scary thought!

Glad to hear TW was over at yours today.

Guest Tom F

Two Magazines (Hornby and Model Rail) have both done reviews on the locos. Pretty much what we expected, great chassis, dated body.

But for those who are going to acquire the latest releases, I'd say they are pretty much imminent with the latest reviews already out.

• 1 month later...

Awaiting my black liveried one with interest. Eventually I'll need a good lot of these for London-Leeds turns on various traffic so - personally speaking - it's the running qualities I am most interested in.

However having seen the modified Bachmann one with better chimney and dome on Gilbert's Peterborough North thread, I'm more or less coming to terms with the old bodyshell remaining.

Looks like they are in at Rails.

I'll be interested in if it'll be easy to swap the chassis out, new for old. I know Bachmann said it isn't a straight swap but at £89.50 could be worth a try, as I've detailled and renamed 4 of the old ones.

Roy

Guest Max Stafford

Who does a replacement single chimney for these locos? I'm afraid Google isn't helping tonight!

Dave

I'll be interested in if it'll be easy to swap the chassis out, new for old. I know Bachmann said it isn't a straight swap but at £89.50 could be worth a try, as I've detailled and renamed 4 of the old ones.

I did read that the chassis has a fixed cartazzi which has resulted in a different fixing arrangement, it may be possible but it might not be easy.

I'm wondering the merits of sticking a Finney V2 body on to it.

If you can get the Bachmann V2 for about £90 by the time you get wheels and motor for a finney kit then this would be about £90 and the chassis is now done for you. My self and a friend are contemplating that.

Waste of time. The complete Finney engine surpasses the Bachmann one by a long, long way.

Guest Max Stafford

The wait may be over... they all look great, although perhaps the boiler IS bit larger in diameter than it ought to be. One of those things which may not be noticed, then after it is pointed out, it's hard to ignore...

https://railsofsheff...s-JJJGP407.aspx

You're absolutely right of course Rob, but I'm going to try my best to ignore it in the absence of a suitable competitor!

Dave.

Waste of time. The complete Finney engine surpasses the Bachmann one by a long, long way.

Yes for some. However what curves will a Finney version go around?

Puffers do a nice turned Brass chimney for the V2 re other earlier question.

We're talking apples and oranges here people. Finney V2 clearly a more accurate model, closer to museum quality in actual quality and price. Bachmann V2, shade under a hundred for what is reputedly a much improved mechanism and overall finish on a flawed model. If you've got the spending money to throw at the Finney, fine - do that, but not all of us do and we will have to settle for the next best thing.

Which to be frank, is a Bachmann V2 or nothing as there's no other decent V2 kits I can think of that matches the Finney for accuracy or the Bachmann for price.

You're absolutely right of course Rob, but I'm going to try my best to ignore it in the absence of a suitable competitor!

Dave.

Well, the photos in Rails and now in Hattons websites do show very well the things we already suspected; that the mechanism is tidier, and the body is a bit below the best industry standard. Well, in my opinion. It may well look better 'in the flesh'.

I don't know what a Finney kit costs and have not the skills to build one... I might have once tried it. I have ordered a black Bachmann 60860 and expect to create photos of those ECML express goods trains including the Buckingham Palace Special and other nocturnal fish trains. I imagine that some judicious weathering and maybe a new chimney could make the Bachmann models very good. The descriptions of of the fast goods work by these engines on the ECML is very inspiring, with often 600-700 tons keeping express passenger schedules with sustained 60-75mph.

Rob

Guest Max Stafford

Even when I look at the imperfect model, I hear Peter Handford's recordings at Steele Road!

Dave.

Guest Tom F

Even when I look at the imperfect model, I hear Peter Handford's recordings at Steele Road!

Dave.

Oh ###### it .... I've succumbed to one!

Archived