Flying Pig

As you might expect from my end graphic below (taken when Green Arrow was on the North Norfolk), I just love V2s - I have two Bachmann BR jobies, weathered black and (very) green. My two run very well, even at a slow crawl (but the green one bought last year arrived with locked valve gear so initially just sat and hummed when I first put it on the track! Now all sported). I wonder whether the new chassis will be available seperately as now, probably not I guess.

I also have two V1/V3s, now probably about ten years old. One has recently disgraced itself by splitting an axle, the first sign being the valve gear locking up. I would definitely love to see a re-engineered chassis version of this loco.

Regards,

Brian.

Much as I like the Gresley tank, I hope they at least make the cab area look finished - it's always had a 'half cooked' look to my eye!

Dave

This would be my own feeling too with many recent Bachmann models including the V2, that and the overscale handrails around the cab-tender. That and the appalling coal insert, the latter being relatively easy to fix.

I too have owned a weathered V2 and recent outside-steam-pipe late BR green version, and I think the paintwork on both was really really good. The BR green version in particular has an excellent gloss metal look which is missing from most current offerings from both main manufacturers of RTR 00 steam. It would be the best BR Brunswick green I have seen, but I hesitate to venture into the minefield of colours!

If I was to be really serious about realism I would have to go to EM or Scale4 and bullhead rail. In the meantime I welcome a new chassis and minor detail for the V2... hopefully the light-under-firebox and under the cylinders can be reduced too. Still, we have photographic licence...

post-7929-0-36627100-1330808831.jpg

I wonder whether the new chassis will be available seperately as now, probably not I guess.

I think Bachmann have already said they will not be available separately as owing to the new cartazzi rear axle the fixing points have changed and thus you cannot fit them to the old bodies.

I think Bachmann have already said they will not be available separately as owing to the new cartazzi rear axle the fixing points have changed and thus you cannot fit them to the old bodies.

Ed, thanks for the confirmation. Hopefully mine will keep on running.

Regards,

Brian.

• 1 month later...
Guest Tom F

Something I noticed in the Bachmann cabinet at York.

They had both Green Arrow and Durham School on show. Both locos have the K3/A1/A2 tender bar, allowing far closer coupling unlike the B1 which had kept the old hook style. So even though

old boiler is in place, at least a closer coupling can be acquired without needing to do alterations.

Guest Max Stafford

As has been previously said, I'm a little disappointed that the boiler error remains but in the absence of a competitor and in the face of my unavoidable requirement for a number of V2s the boiler weakness will need to be tolerated here.

Unless Bill's pondering...!

Dave.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Saw the new version of 4771 in the Bachmann cabinet at Bristol last weekend. The new chassis, valve gear and wheels look superb. I can understand the problem with the cab front but what exactly is wrong with the boiler? From robmcg's image above it certainly looks like a V2 to me albeit not as fine as more recent offerings .

Guest Max Stafford

It's way oversized. This also makes the chimney and dome cover look a bit flat.

Bit of Johnsons Klear will sort that! :P

Dave.

Hi All,

I confess I hadn't looked too closely at the boiler on the Bachmann V2 and have always thought of the appearance of the V2 boiler as being quite different from that of an A3, probably because of the length of the respective locos and general proportions.

I looked again at the picture a few posts back and thought the camera distortion and added details were a bit poor so re-hashed it somewhat. I have been looking forward to the new chassis too. Also another pic I did some time ago of the weathered Bachmann version without steam pipes....

Cheers, Rob

post-7929-0-90141800-1336705717.jpg

and

post-7929-0-39928900-1336705772.jpg

They had both Green Arrow and Durham School on show. Both locos have the K3/A1/A2 tender bar, allowing far closer coupling unlike the B1

Oh goody. Heretics like myself will thereby find it much easier to attach the four axle tenders that this class probably would have had, if the LNER had not been under such long-term financial pressure. (The one crew criticism of the design when on the heaviest duties was that the smaller tender tank compared to the pacifics meant that a missed or poor 'dip' on the troughs - perhaps following another service on a small headway - could result in being very low on water by the time the next trough was reached, and risking having to drop the fire in the event of a significant unplanned stop.)

Must admit the boiler thing doesn't really mind me overmuch. But the general messiness and lack of refinement of the now pretty ancient tooling is not good. Of all the split chassis renewals this was a key one to my mind for complete renewal. With such a good looking subject, current tooling finesse could deliver a real eyecatcher. The worst of it is that it will still sell like hot cakes and send Bachmann completely the wrong message.

Guest Max Stafford

I'm with you there, 34. Unfortunately, so useful is the V2 to me personally that I'll be unable to resist. I understand there will be superficial refinements such as new lubricators, improved glazing and such, so these should help to compensate for the boiler issues. In any case, the tea leaves tell me that someone who is very good at making components may be considering some kind of 'fix' for the boiler. I hope the leaves are telling me correctly!

In any case, I'm rather looking forward to seeing how good a V2 looks with an 8-wheeler on the back.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm all a-thither with expectation, especially keen to see 60862 with outside steam pipes and double chimney, apparently this loco was a favorite of 'Top Shed'. Also I'm hoping that 60860 'Durham School' in early BR black will have the cast steam chest without separate steam pipes.

Are the rods and valve gear being refined, I wonder?

Sometimes the work of these engines with loads of 400-500 tons was astonishingly good, and usually unremarked or unrecorded by afficionados of steam locomotive performance.

Rob

typo edit

As I am keen to see the new V2s...

It appears from google images that the new versions in BR are more-or-less correct in BR black early crest and BR green late crest, with correct steam pipes.

For some reason the front pony wheel and truck on 60680 looks better than on 60862, perhaps the photos are somewhat enhanced.

I cannot tell if the rods and motion are finer than the old models..

post-7929-0-18720800-1338418541.jpg

post-7929-0-74721000-1338418762.jpg

Guest Max Stafford

You're right Rob; 60860's underpinnings definitely exhibit more finesse. On the green loco, the Cartazzi frames are the only thing that looks different from the original model. 60862 will look much better in the flesh - I have no doubt of that whatsoever.

Dave.

You're right Rob; 60860's underpinnings definitely exhibit more finesse. On the green loco, the Cartazzi frames are the only thing that looks different from the original model. 60862 will look much better in the flesh - I have no doubt of that whatsoever.

Dave.

Well, 60860's rear coupling rod is what looks like flat-section and the front wheel looks better, certainly, but whether this will on the production model, I do not know. I don't think V2s ever had flat-section coupling rods... perhaps it is just the lighting. In any event, it is no doubt a pre-production photo. I suppose we should allow some latitude here because both main RTR 00 manufacturers show very 'photoshopped' images of models in catalogues and publicity, presumably comfortable with the idea that the photos give the general idea, though often different from actual production.

Bachmann in particular have random addition of detail parts in their catalogue photos of 00 steam, while Hornby use what are almost entirely computer-generated images. Inevitable given the vagaries of design and production 'down to a price', I guess.

Sometimes they get things quite clearly wrong, with deranged valve-gear un-noticed by the art department, and other errors. A couple of years ago a Hornby Princess in red had very strange valve gear...I place little faith in catalogue pictures except for general appearance... I have just unpacked a new but old-release Hornby 'Merchant Navy' (from pre-2003) and it has slide-bars and valve gear at quite a different angle to the photo on the box! But I digress..

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Are the rods and valve gear being refined, I wonder?

Bachmann had 4771 in their display case at the recent Bristol show and I can confirm that the valve gear was much finer than either version in the photo's from the catalogue. In particular the slide bars are metal which makes a huge improvement. Model Rail have review samples now so we will know soon enough.

I do think this is a candidate for a conversion kit to sort the boiler out. I'm waiting until I see one in the flesh before getting the wallet out, but the boiler still looks odd. One of those aggravating "now you see it, you can't unsee it" sort of niggly inaccuracies which just doesn't ever get better with viewing.

Bachmann had 4771 in their display case at the recent Bristol show and I can confirm that the valve gear was much finer than either version in the photo's from the catalogue. In particular the slide bars are metal which makes a huge improvement. Model Rail have review samples now so we will know soon enough.

Ah, thankyou for that. From the photos I posted yesterday I think black early crest 60860 looks very nice indeed. Not quite so sure about the double chimney 60862 in green with outside steam pipes, but then 'in the flesh' may be different!

My enthusiasm for this model as a basis for knocking into shape is now in overdrive after a couple of days earlier this week closely inspecting the glory that is 4771. (Any dribble marks to be seen on the boiler cladding are mine.) Having got the shape impression fairly firmly in my head on the loco I think it will be just the boiler band reduction and a new banjo steam collector cover casting - unless Bachmann have improved this - and flush cab glazing for mine.

Archived