The changing face of Bristol

I don't remember seeing any Presflos there myself: apart from spoil wagons for the Patchway Tip, it was either ore-tipplers and hoppers for Tytherington, or yet more (unfitted) ones waiting to go into Barton Hill for vac-fitting. St Andrew's Road generally held much more interest for me.

There's a rake of 'em there in the picture in Downendian's post, so we're fine! Ore-tipplers & spoil wagons work too, and I have no doubt I could fit in an engineers train or two as well :D

Edited by Vanders
  • Like 1

When the new housing at Portishead Docks was under construction, you could just drive in. 

When I was doing my A levels, I made this music video and it was a great space to drive around in. The rails on the dockside were being lifted at the time (in fact the thumbnail shows us driving over the old quayside lines)

No cardboard boxes were harmed in the making of this video  :jester:   Did you make your video before Sabotage?

• RMweb Gold

No cardboard boxes were harmed in the making of this video  :jester:   Did you make your video before Sabotage?

hehe, no I just ripped Sabotage off with a different song, got an A for it though!

Edited by Corbs

• RMweb Gold

I don't remember seeing any Presflos there myself: apart from spoil wagons for the Patchway Tip, it was either ore-tipplers and hoppers for Tytherington, or yet more (unfitted) ones waiting to go into Barton Hill for vac-fitting. St Andrew's Road generally held much more interest for me.

I don’t remember Presflos in the yard either Brian, but back then I had a very poorly developed knowledge of wagonry. Both up and down passing loops were used extensively. Almost all freight to Avonmouth were held there before being given a path, anhydrous ammonia bogie tanks, acid and other chemical tanks etc. The Tytherington workings very often meant a Western or two were present in the yard. Stone branded MSVs and more earlier 21T hoppers were always about before the arrival of Amey roadstone branded PGAs. After the demise of the Westerns, pairs of BR allocated 37s and then BR allocated 56s were on the PGA’s.

I agree it would make an excellent model, with lots of operational possibilities. It’s on my long-term to do list, but currently compromised by space. I’m trying to accrue photos of the rudimentary station building, I spent hours inside it in the winter months spotting before being turfed out by the porters, one of whom is seen in my photo. I can’t work out who it was, we knew them by name (or nickname!).

Neil

• Like 2

Don't think I've posted this before, the M4/M5 junction in 1982. Tried comparing this with street view, no points of reference. The area to the left (South) has been built on.

post-7177-0-47019100-1515873915_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Don't think I've posted this before, the M4/M5 junction in 1982. Tried comparing this with street view, no points of reference. The area to the left (South) has been built on.

attachicon.gifM4-M5 Junction May 82 OM1 HP5 229-001.jpg

Is that taken from the Old Gloucester Road overbridge?

Goodness, how it's changed!

Edited by Coppercap

I thought it was from the Trench Lane overbridge - but yes, that has changed a lot! As I work in one of the buildings now built on the fields to the left, I might have to show this to my colleagues.

Incidentally - whilst discussing that area - the fields to the West of the M5 and South of the M4 are now being built on, with the construction of a new emergency services helicopter station. Construction started just before Christmas.

I thought it was from the Trench Lane overbridge - but yes, that has changed a lot! As I work in one of the buildings now built on the fields to the left, I might have to show this to my colleagues.

Incidentally - whilst discussing that area - the fields to the West of the M5 and South of the M4 are now being built on, with the construction of a new emergency services helicopter station. Construction started just before Christmas.

Yes, you're right, it is Trench Lane. Zooming in you can just see the start of the split for the Almondsbury Interchange.

Where's the helicopter base going? I thought it was going to be virtually next to the Police just off the Gloucester Road, but I've not heard exactly where it will be.

Yes, you're right, it is Trench Lane. Zooming in you can just see the start of the split for the Almondsbury Interchange.

Where's the helicopter base going? I thought it was going to be virtually next to the Police just off the Gloucester Road, but I've not heard exactly where it will be.

It's just by Almondsbury village and basically fills in the triangle between the M5, M4 and Gloucester Road - so it's the opposite side of Gloucester Road from the police control centre.  In motorway terms, it's directly opposite the RAC building.

It's just by Almondsbury village and basically fills in the triangle between the M5, M4 and Gloucester Road - so it's the opposite side of Gloucester Road from the police control centre.  In motorway terms, it's directly opposite the RAC building.

Ah, there was a lot of activity going on in a small area between the Interchange Hotel and the electricity station on the A38 last week - diggers, cabins, lots of hard hats. Guess that's probably going to be the entrance to the site.

Thanks for those great photos! I never realised that's what @Bristol used to be!!

Thanks for those great photos! I never realised that's what @Bristol used to be!!

It's been renamed - it's not @Bristol any more, it's now called We The Curious.

(But it'll be known by many as @Bristol by many for years to come. Just as the Colston Hall will still be known as that, whatever they rename it to...)

• Like 1

Here is an obscure location near Bristol.

attachicon.gifAust Ferry 1 July 1979 OM1 167-1.jpg

It still looked like that until the mid-1980s. All the wooden structure's since been demolished- only the concrete bit on the right remains, with the turnstile for the loo (well, it was still there a year or so ago).

Edited by Coppercap

It's been renamed - it's not @Bristol any more, it's now called We The Curious.

(But it'll be known by many as @Bristol by many for years to come. Just as the Colston Hall will still be known as that, whatever they rename it to...)

So it is! I did wonder what that was on Google Maps, and why '@Bristol' wasn't immediately obvious! Is it the same inside? I haven't been for at least a couple of years.

• Like 1

It still looked like that until the mid-1980s. All the wooden structure's since been demolished- only the concrete bit on the right remains, with the turnstile for the loo (well, it was still there a year or so ago).

I certainly remember my dad parking there more than once. I also seem to remember that the shed itself was condemned at some point and you couldn't park underneath it, only outside.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I certainly remember my dad parking there more than once. I also seem to remember that the shed itself was condemned at some point and you couldn't park underneath it, only outside.

I remember parking there with my parents to, and on a couple of occasions then going to the Bristol model railway exhibition.

That was in the building called the watershed which is still standing and went there a few times as well. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4518754,-2.5983584,3a,60.2y,162.22h,91.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWIs392k8Hw5cBmBMEb7Z9A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656   

Also the home to the Bristol Beer Festival. British ales downstairs and European and World beers and food upstairs.