What? No Hornby Xmas day announcement?

mattog

To be honest, I think there's too much emphasis on these 'annoucements' - like any PR exercise they're created to create hype and interest.

Which is surely the point of the exercise - for the announcer. The emphasis is (collectively) our 'fault'.

What amuses me is that we find out that Hornby won't be making the Christmas annoucement and there's five pages of dicussion about it!

Amusing, yes, it is a bit ironic. But I think it's largely an overflow from the sentiments on the Hornby directions thread, where this thread essentially started.

Which is surely the point of the exercise - for the announcer.

Exactly!

It creates hype and people talk about it. I just find it funny how het up grown men get about waiting to hear about the new toys they'll be able to buy!

• RMweb Premium

I have become privy to one of the main announcements and the corresponding press release:

"Hornby to break into new market.

Hornby has today announced that rather than listen to any of these silly wishlists on various Internet forums, they are going to produce whatever they want, safe in the knowledge that people will buy it anyway and then justify the reasons for doing so (to their partners and friends, to people on the Internet and most importantly, to themselves).

As such, we are proud to announce that we will be producing a 1/65 scale working model of Champion the Wonder Horse, complete with rotating genitalia, just like the real thing!

Simon Kohler, head of the Interesting Things Department at Hornby's Margate headquarters said "Everyone likes horses don't they? Or is that just girls? There was a song about it on TV, I remember that. Anyway, this one is a wonder horse so people will come to like it one way or another, rest assured".

As you can probably tell, I don't really give a monkey about wishlists........

• RMweb Gold

Exactly!

It creates hype and people talk about it. I just find it funny how het up grown men get about waiting to hear about the new toys they'll be able to buy!

And the other side of the coin is that this year all the speculative hype can run for much longer and right over the Christmas holiday.

This also has the even more useful effect that by the time the announcement is made those in paid employment will be out of the way back at work, and the younger ones back at school, thus removing over a week of idle/increasingly bored time in which they would have been moaning about the continuing failure to produce the exact livery they needed (it always seems to 'needed', not 'wanted') or the correct running number or moaning about why Hornby are continuing to favour some obscure railway 'in the south' when everybody knows the real demand is for some even more obscure railway 'in the north'.

OOPs forgot to add how 'Model Rail' will solve their dilemma - easy. They will transfer the onus onto their readers by including, with the Winter edition, a special supplement in a plain brown envelope labelled 'Not to be opened until 03 January 2012'. This way they will avoid breaking the embargo but still be able to be first with the news - clever stuff some of these magazines.

From TOY NEWS 06/12/2011

"Hornby Hobbies will distribute the Breyer horse range for Reeves International from January 1st, 2012"

Didn't find anything about Champion the Wonder Horse.

Sanside, Did you know about this or was it as the old saying goes "many a true word is spoken in jest?

RP

Guest dilbert

As much as I wish it was true, I have to report that I am not privy to any information regarding Hornby releasing a working model of Champion the Wonder Horse.

Not even for 'equestrain equestrian' events in London next year ?... dilbert

I

As such, we are proud to announce that we will be producing a 1/65 scale working model of Champion the Wonder Horse, complete with rotating genitalia, just like the real thing!

Simon Kohler, head of the Interesting Things Department at Hornby's Margate headquarters said "Everyone likes horses don't they? Or is that just girls? There was a song about it on TV, I remember that. Anyway, this one is a wonder horse so people will come to like it one way or another, rest assured".

As you can probably tell, I don't really give a monkey about wishlists........

But wasn't there another song, 'They shoot horses, don't they ?'. I predict an interesting link-up with a revived Battle Space range. How about an exploding horse ?

• 2 weeks later...

As such, we are proud to announce that we will be producing a 1/65 scale working model of Champion the Wonder Horse, complete with rotating genitalia

Id rather have Henry the Horse who dances the waltz (and Mr Kite to go with?) Perfect for a Bishopsgate layout..8)

c

This thread is hilarious though seriously...i thought the aussie modellers were the only ones who frothed up about such things brilliant!

Sadly though any sort of announcement from some of our manufacturers here would be welcome...

As for Hornbys announcement hopefully the factory sitiation has stabilised so things are actually delivered

Archived