What? No Hornby Xmas day announcement?

mattog

Guest dilbert

(Christmas has absolutely no meaning whatsoever as I hate it with every fibre of my being and refuse to take any part in it whatsoever in case you were wondering. Roll on the days when we run trains on Christmas Day, I shall be first in the queue to volunteer for a twelve hour shift!!)

I know that one present will be railway related, haven't got a clue what it is.. for that I shall thank my MiL and the intent behind her gift, which is not commercial... dilbert

No doubt we will still get all the froth on the lead up to the announcements though. Wasn't it already under way this time last year????

I think the froth fest was approaching double figures in terms of pages by this time last year. Happy days.

I think the froth fest was approaching double figures in terms of pages by this time last year. Happy days.

Oh I don't know... the Christmas froth thread is quite fun! I dislike froth any other time of year though...

It was very clearly marked last year, so you don't have to read it if you don't want to! Just like any musing/wheeltappers thread.

Compared to Hornby forum's froth threads, the RMWeb one is full of educated (though often wrong) guesses as to what could come up. Its all part of the fun! Clearly a popular thread too, despite the sense of dread I am getting from this topic.

I recently paid a visit to the Hornby forums just to have a look at what kind of topics there are these days. The wishlists have been separated off into their own section now. I had a look the southern wishlist and on the first page someone who claimed to not be a Southern enthusiast reeled off almost all of the Southern classes that saw service for BR, with more than 10 pages following in general agreement that each would be a 'good choice' for Hornby. I know that RMWeb caters for a different and wider selection of us, but our frothing is never that bad!

Guest Max Stafford

To be honest, I will miss the announcement purely as an entertaining Christmas Eve parlour game. It was quite fun after a few sherbets with some enjoyable tunes on in the background...

Dave.

Surely, Olddudders, the expression "get a life!" would be more appropriate to someone who on average posts over four times a day?

Go ahead then, let it ruin your life; don't let us stop you.

I'm sure several people would have been hopeful that you'd returned and stated that your post was tongue in cheek.

Having used up part of my allowance of posts (deemed appropriate by you) for a response I'll just have to be careful for the rest of the day if I am to maintain a respectable post/life balance.

I enjoy reading the RMweb "Frothfest" - as mentioned earlier - it normally contains well argued points of view, and educated guesses.

Perhaps that's what we should have - "Hornby 2012 - Educated Guesses". That way it shows exactly what the forum wants as opposed to what normally happens elsewhere.

Though may I say, having the announcements after Xmas Day this year has to be a boon for a select few who, rather than being on the computer dealing with the froth that occurs AFTER the announcement (!!!), can spend the happy day with their families instead!

I'm like yourself SACM. I have a lot of fun reading the rumours and speculation. I get the feeling there won't be as many announcements this year while they catch up on releases. The fact it isn't Christmas day this year doesn't bother me one bit as it means I can have a longer lie in, drink lots more beer and enjoy myself that day.

Go ahead then, let it ruin your life; don't let us stop you.

I'm sure several people would have been hopeful that you'd returned and stated that your post was tongue in cheek.

Having used up part of my allowance of posts (deemed appropriate by you) for a response I'll just have to be careful for the rest of the day if I am to maintain a respectable post/life balance.

I must say I'm a little amused that anyone would take seriously the notion that someone's xmas day would be 'ruined' by the absence of Hornby's new releases. Sure, I'm mildly disappointed, but I'm not about to slash my wrists as is the inference. I was actually tossing up whether to sign off with three exclamation marks or an emoticon and in hindsight should have : (

Regardless, I found the "get a life" comment to be a little inappropriate and ungentlemanly particularly from someone who's life seems to revolve around the hobby more than mine. Perhaps my response was a little sharp, and I apologise for that, but c'mon fellas, do I really need to be harshly criticised for the way in which I express my passion for the hobby? : )

On a personal note I will miss the Christmas announcement as it was just another part of Christmas (build up followed by disapppointment :beee: )

On a RMweb note, it means Andy Y will be able to enjoy his Christmas more and not have to start/moderate a number of threads on Christmas day.

On a commercial note... Hornby built up an event that fed utself in publicity and now they've gone and killed it. The Hornby announcement was almost as big as Warley (ok, exaggeration but you get my point) and now it will be a mere foot note in the chronicle of the year, like Bachmann's announcement).

I'm like yourself SACM. I have a lot of fun reading the rumours and speculation. I get the feeling there won't be as many announcements this year while they catch up on releases. The fact it isn't Christmas day this year doesn't bother me one bit as it means I can have a longer lie in, drink lots more beer and enjoy myself that day.

Actually I was referring to the amount of work Andy and the Mods generally have to do in the wake of the announcements on RMweb...!

I must say I'm a little amused that anyone would take seriously the notion that someone's xmas day would be 'ruined' by the absence of Hornby's new releases.

Please believe me when I say that we've had some top quality examples of people who seem to have some very strange priorities in their lives and unbelievable self-centred tantrums when they haven't got what they want. It's difficult for us to remotely determine if there's been another casualty of sensibilities along the way.

Well, if there's enough of it you'll be able to carry on ski-ing...

No ski-ing for me. I break easily! I'll be exploring the rail, tram and trolleybus networks and if I'm really lucky iL Dottore will take me to a model shop.

Chris

Regardless, I found the "get a life" comment to be a little inappropriate and ungentlemanly particularly from someone who's life seems to revolve around the hobby more than mine. Perhaps my response was a little sharp, and I apologise for that, but c'mon fellas, do I really need to be harshly criticised for the way in which I express my passion for the hobby? : )

You obviously do not know the gentleman you are referring to. Not at all.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

No doubt we will still get all the froth on the lead up to the announcements though. Wasn't it already under way this time last year????

Is there a Hornby 2012 froth list yet - I want to add my suggestion.

Actually, all I need to do is cut'n'paste my request from last year....................

:locomotive:

Mick

Guest dilbert

Please believe me when I say that we've had some top quality examples of people who seem to have some very strange priorities in their lives and unbelievable self-centred tantrums when they haven't got what they want. It's difficult for us to remotely determine if there's been another casualty of sensibilities along the way.

Going back in the time machine reveals only two years ago this gem of post-announcment frothing http://www.rmweb.co....35302&start=250 ...dilbert

You obviously do not know the gentleman you are referring to. Not at all.

Aye. I've always found it a sensible precaution to check a few back posts before making too many presumptions about someone; not that it's an infallible guide of course.

Archived