Railway footage in feature films and television...

3 minutes ago, keefer said:

By accident, caught a bit of "The Champions" on ITV4, episode 'The Body Snatchers' - scene with a small steam loco and passenger coaches.

Partly filmed at the Narrow Gauge Railway Museum at Tywyn:

http://avengerland.theavengers.tv/about.htm#tyw.

Btw, I discovered that the Talking Pictures channel has an iplayer of their content - one I remember from the late-'70s is 'The Flockton Flyer': https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flockton_Flyer

Flockton Flyer with a young Peter Duncan and Cassandra from Only Fools And Horses!

I also seem to remember an episode of Shoestring was also filmed on the WSR as a preserved railway rather than filling in for BR.

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Flockton Flyer with a young Peter Duncan and Cassandra from Only Fools And Horses!

Indeed! Although i remembered the programme, i didn't remember them.

(Peter Duncan i do remember from 'King Cinder', BBC tea-time kids drama about Speedway, and of course, Blue Peter, where he seemed to take on the 'John Noakes' role.)

I recognised the Pannier tank because one of my pals had the Hornby 'Goods' train set with that, a couple of wagons and GW Toad brake van.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Last night I watched a newly arrived DVD of a film called 'Revenge', shot in late 1970 in and around High Wycombe, Little Marlow, Bourne End and Gerrard's Cross, released in 1971, starring James Booth, Joan Collins and Kenneth Griffiths. There's only a very brief glimpse of a DMU leaving High Wycombe station in the dark, but the scenes shot around the station are quite evocative, with the old WR lower quadrant semaphores and GWR 'spear' fencing in evidence...

reven-45.png.9755048f73781bf3b4830e496f3308a1.png

reven-46.png.09ad9a3021e9d0cd776fa414a1568858.png

reven-47.png.d461cc8df36052cfaf2e3c99042cda22.png

reven-48.png.5a6d2894ee4484789dff1e88b105412a.png

In this view the bridge carrying the branch to Bourne End is still intact...

reven-53.png.54972b36d9d7f6dba20706f44a3128e6.png

531816046_REVENGE19701971.jpg.8d3275758734a89f21ecf7cb938e90fd.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

'Miss Marple: Murder, she Said' is on TV at the moment and about 35 mins in, had a scene where Margaret Rutherford is hitting some golf shots in the field next to a railway embankment - one of the trains passing is a D600 Warship on (presumably) choc/cream coaches.

EDIT: just noticed that it is based on '4.50 from Paddington' and was made in 1961, so there will be more (G) WR trains at the beginning of the film 

Edited by keefer
  • Like 4

I was watching an episode of 'Gideon's Way' last night (the old black & white police drama starring John Gregson), the episode was called 'How To Retire Without Really Working' and there's a very brief scene shot in late 1964 at what looks like the disused station at Uxbridge Vine Street...

IMG_5644.JPG.c5f5203a58db199d22aff5ab97e95ce5.JPG

IMG_5645.JPG.1d19af52c68b72272daa70f7dbafe1ac.JPG

The episode was shown on 20th May 1965.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I don't  think the Worth Valley has any level crossings like that unless it's a film mock up.

Jamie

It looks very much like Oakworth crossing (modified to a half-barrier for the filming).

I've just been watching the re-run of the TV version of Ian Banks' "The Crow Road"; at one point the hero of the story, leaves a lot of personal items on a train at Partick Cross station.  I don't know whether it actually was Partick (Cross) or not, but the train was a Class 314 when it arrived and a Class 303 when it pulled out.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Northmoor said:

It looks very much like Oakworth crossing (modified to a half-barrier for the filming).

Clearly not a genuine AHB as there are no wig-wag lights.

They must have got about a bit filming that episode as the "driving test" sequence also includes Kingsferry Bridge and Sheerness jetty!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

On 17/12/2022 at 14:12, keefer said:

'Miss Marple: Murder, she Said' is on TV at the moment and about 35 mins in, had a scene where Margaret Rutherford is hitting some golf shots in the field next to a railway embankment - one of the trains passing is a D600 Warship on (presumably) choc/cream coaches.

EDIT: just noticed that it is based on '4.50 from Paddington' and was made in 1961, so there will be more (G) WR trains at the beginning of the film 

Yonks ago I did some screen grabs of some of the railway bits of that film for the estimable Rugd1022 and in the process it was revealed the Warship was D603 Conquest

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 20/12/2022 at 20:31, RJS1977 said:

Spotted this going across a level crossing in Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em earlier this evening - but what is it?

image.png.637fbc839427a19445af7022ca607574.png

Definitely Oakworth, with fake barriers- I volunteer a bit with the KWVR Archivist, he posted something on it last year. Apparently filmed in reverse for safety purposes, but I'm sure I read it was the actor himself doing the driving.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, Ben B said:

Definitely Oakworth, with fake barriers- I volunteer a bit with the KWVR Archivist, he posted something on it last year. Apparently filmed in reverse for safety purposes, but I'm sure I read it was the actor himself doing the driving.

That doesn't surprise me - Michael did (I think) all his own stunts for SMDAE - including the 2016 Comic Relief episode.

I understand that some time after the series finished he was in an (unrelated) stage show which also required him to do live stunts.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

That doesn't surprise me - Michael did (I think) all his own stunts for SMDAE - including the 2016 Comic Relief episode.

I understand that some time after the series finished he was in an (unrelated) stage show which also required him to do live stunts.

Barnum!

There was also a film version based on the show. He had to learn all the acts such as the trapeze.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090702/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Barnum!

There was also a film version based on the show. He had to learn all the acts such as the trapeze.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090702/

I had the misfortune to be dragged to the stage show when it first was produced. One of the most tedious evenings of my life…

steve

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You never went to a Chris Rea concert then?

I haven't done either Barnum or Chris Rea, but my wife once took me to see "Rent" in the West End.  Even she was disappointed, especially because the stand-in replaced her favourite actor in the starring role.  Two hours plus of the most pretentious rubbish imaginable.

One of the real problems with theatre as a format; if you don't like a TV programme, you can switch over or off.  In the theatre you pretty much need to wait for the interval or the end before you can leave (and go somewhere to think how much the wasted evening has cost you).

• Like 2