Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Railway footage in feature films and television...

A few more:-

Callan the movie where the bad guys car gets clipped at a level crossing by a 33 and a rake of MKis

Carlton Brown of the FO with Terry Thomas and Peter Sellars with what may be a Stroudley Terrier decked up with cowcatchers emerging from a tunnel

High Heels and Low Lifes (or was it the other way round) with Minnie Driver where the bad guys throw a suitcase supposedly containing money, but in reality a bomb, out of a train window as it passes over a viaduct. I think the train was again a 33 and Mk1s but am not certain. The viaduct was a different location to where the train itself was filmed, being Souldern No.1 or 2 viaducts between Bicester and Aynho Junction. The film crew could mount a camera on the bridge as it was before the double line was reinstated. I had nothing to do with it but still managed to avail myself of the outside location crews catering facilities!

Edited by Eggesford box

I don't see the word 'good' in the OPs question... if fact the words 'anything goes' are included.

:)

Heh, still no excuse for that movie :P

"oh noes, they have hijacked a train and we don't know where it will go"

Its pretty damn obvious where its going. Also, storing co-ordinates on a CD is very wasteful, a floppy would have done fine.

• RMweb Premium

Carlton Brown of the FO with Terry Thomas and Peter Sellars with what may be a Stroudley Terrier decked up with cowcatchers emerging from a tunnel

Correct, filmed at Midhurst of all places!!

• RMweb Premium

An old episode of Last of the Summer Wine (was on the PBS channel tonight) (dates to the Seymour era) the 3 chaps call on the Vicar who really just wants to run his model railway. Blue streamlined Coronation visible. Have now forgotten the episode title.

Edited by BR60103

Watched 'The Leather Boys' , late, last night. Snippets of Stonebridge (Park) / North Circular Rd. viaducts, and near the film's end, shots of a BR(S?) main line along side some allotments. I couldn't tell where it was, though ?.

Watched 'The Leather Boys' , late, last night. Snippets of Stonebridge (Park) / North Circular Rd. viaducts, and near the film's end, shots of a BR(S?) main line along side some allotments. I couldn't tell where it was, though ?.

If the film was shot in that area then the line was probably the NLL/NLR.

Best, Pete.

If the film was shot in that area then the line was probably the NLL/NLR.

Best, Pete.

Ah !... What made me question the location, in the later shots, was, the passing train looked to be a Bulleid pacific hauling 10+ of the same brand of coaches. This was followed by a similar formation, travelling in the opposite direction. Judging.by the views, it looked to be set somewhere in the outer suburbs ?

All the Best, Frank.

Edited by Ceptic

• RMweb Gold

This one got a mention on the previous board about some of the worst railway scenes of all time but something totally different set me off delving a couple of days ago and i came up with a couple of links. The Film is 'The Magic Christian. which was filmed on the Henley branch (although there a couple of cut-in footage shots of a B*** P******!) and as it happened I was the initial contact from the film company and did a lot of the arranging for what was used and the line used.

In Part 3 of the clips we see the train at, and pulling away from, Henley with a bit of the overall roof in view and some shots across the then not long lifted Platform No.1 line towards the remains of the goods yard (c.4m30 onwards).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMcZlqe854g&feature=related

While in the early moments (0m 26 onwards) the train arrives at Wargrave which is masquerading as 'somewhere in Scotland' - in this shot the train is heading towards Henley, i.e. in the opposite direction to that in which it was heading a few minutes earlier!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sugw1KJT9Ag&feature=related

The filming was carried out on weekdays between the normal branch dmu workings.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

We just caught the end of Upstairs Downstairs last night on BBC1

The evacuees arrived in a train of BR Mk1s!

Why can't programme makers get these things right?

Because like most of the public at large the program makers either aren't interested or can't be bothered in fully researching such things properly, or, more likely, the overwhelming majority of the public won't notice the difference and therefore don't care.

"Is that an old train mum?"

"Yeah Chantelle, it's a steam train, innit"

Sunday on ITV3 Poirot Murder on the Orient Express ,a black five stuck in artificial snow drift with actors dressed as French rail employees not very convincing.Last Of The Summer Wine at Diggle the lads watch as a 47 and MK1,s heads through Compo asks wheres it going Clegg ,London all three doff their caps.

• RMweb Premium

We just caught the end of Upstairs Downstairs last night on BBC1

The evacuees arrived in a train of BR Mk1s!

Why can't programme makers get these things right?

SWMBO always asks whether train sequences are correct as she, like most people, hasn't a clue what should and should not be used.

I noticed the Mk1s and thought they looked blue/grey!

In "Being Human" on BBC3 there have been several shots of railway infrastructure a different times.

The view down the hill from "Honolulu Heights" (actually on Canon Street, Barry) shows the large signal box quite clearly.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Sunday on ITV3 Poirot Murder on the Orient Express ,a black five stuck in artificial snow drift with actors dressed as French rail employees not very convincing.

Oh I thought the director did a pretty good job. Knowing that the loco wasn't authentic (but no more inauthentic for the Balkans than the SNCF's 230G353 used in the 1974 movie) he avoided dwelling on it. The locos would in any case have been a matter of total indifference to passengers on the Orient Express in 1938.

The CIWL attendants were dressed as such and I didn't notice too many other railway employees apart from the loco crew. The glaring errors were the colour scheme of the coaches in Pullman blue and ivory rather than the all blue that the CIWL used for normal sleepers and dining cars and the train heat going off - voiture lits had individual steam heating boilers looked after by the attendant. Despite those it didn't scream Nene Valley to me as so many other movies and TV dramas filmed on it have. I also thought the much darker treatment of the plot and Poirot's response made for a far better drama than the movie's representation of glamorous people on a glamorous train which the real O-E wasn't.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2

Oh I thought the director did a pretty good job. Knowing that the loco wasn't authentic (but no more inauthentic for the Balkans than the SNCF's 230G353 used in the 1974 movie) he avoided dwelling on it. The locos would in any case have been a matter of total indifference to passengers on the Orient Express in 1938.

The CIWL attendants were dressed as such and I didn't notice too many other railway employees apart from the loco crew. The glaring errors were the colour scheme of the coaches in Pullman blue and ivory rather than the all blue that the CIWL used for normal sleepers and dining cars and the train heat going off - voiture lits had individual steam heating boilers looked after by the attendant. Despite those it didn't scream Nene Valley to me as so many other movies and TV dramas filmed on it have. I also thought the much darker treatment of the plot and Poirot's response made for a far better drama than the movie's representation of glamorous people on a glamorous train which the real O-E wasn't.

The Souchet Poirots are by far the best interpration yet,they have used Horsted Keynes quite often as well with many shots inside the Bluebells coaches all in all pretygood.

Know what you mean Paul,

A couple of years ago I went to an interview at Walsall in offices, upstairs at one end, of what I think was an old goods shed berefit of track. I inadvertantly went into the shed portion looking for the entrance. Stood on disused old dock I half expected to hear the squeal of tyres and see Reagan and Carter piling out of a Granada to knick a couple of villans!

was watching tv adverts the other day, and im sure that on one of the "which?" adverts they had set up infront of a heritage railway GWR terminus station forecourt (sorry i cant remember the name but im sure its the one that was a new build but built to look original)